convert C: /fs:ntfs

Simple :D better than PM8

Originally posted by Xahid

bcoz,

PM is good for newbies

I suppose.

Originally posted by Xahid

yea, u don't need to convert ur C: partition into NTFS,

if you did, then you can't get access to win98.

if you want to use both O'S, then

C: => Win 98 @ FAT32

D: => Win XP @ NTFS

Dude! Dont tell him to do that....!

Originally posted by neolander

i am using the winxp in C: with fat32 and win98 with fat32 in D:.......

if i wanna convert the fat32, will i corrupt the win98 in D: ?

he has 98 on the D so converting it to NTFS would really **** it up.

Best way mate is to backup, format and install 98 1st onto C as FAT32. And on 2nd partition install Win XP as NTFS :)

If you've got a 98 partition, don't bother with NTFS, as you'll be kicking yourself in the ass down the line, when you're in 98, and need to access a file on the XP partition. You'll need to boot into XP, copy the file over, and then boot back into 98. In this case, the benefits just don't outweigh the negatives.

Only use NTFS on an XP or WIN2k system only.

The advantages are when you crash your files are usually fine IF you crash or the power goes out on you.

Never do this with WIN9x

---Rich

I use Partition Magic. I have XP pro on the first partition, Me on the Second, Me on the third. Then I have the rest of my space partitioned as needed. I use FAT 32. I use NTFS at work, it doesn't seem to offer much more. My computer at home has always done better than the computers at work. They were largely comparable before....I recommend FAT32. Can anyone offer any major reasons to go NTFS? Please list Pro and Con.

Well I highly recomend to get rid of Windows 95/98/Me and install NT5.x (which means Win2000,XP) and use NTFS.

NTFS offers much more it is compressible, encryptable and most secure file system, and it supports more than 30GB HDDs (FAT32 supports up to 30GB but I am not sure).

In FAT32 the biggest files size is 2GB, in NTFS one file can fill all the drive!

Someone will say that NTFS is slower than FAT32, which may be is right but I use NTFS since when I had P90 16MB RAM and Windows NT4 and I compressed my whole drive and I didn't notice slow performance.

I say ignore anyone who tells you to go NTFS. FAT32 is great. Everything is compatible and fast. FAT32 requires a litle more attention to maintenance than NTFS, but FAT32 is faster and great, more flexiable. Get Partition Magic and Boot Magic and Drive Image. Back up your data regularly. and you will be happy.

NTFS is good - If the only operating systems you think you're gonna use are Windows 2000 and up.... My data partition is NTFS and its a real pain because Linux is my primary OS and does not yet have full write support to NTFS so I have to upload to my server, boot into windows and then download the files back onto my NTFS partition.

Fat32 sucks... partly because it doesn't know the difference between upper and lower case.

He could be using Win 9x on the 2nd drive. Which is not compatable with NTFS. If you are dual booting with Win 9x and 2000 or XP you would have to do it this way.

Or run both in Fat 32 but what would be the point. NTFS is better hands down no matter what any uninformed person may say other wise.

Originally posted by AgEnTsMiTh

He could be using Win 9x on the 2nd drive. Which is not compatable with NTFS. If you are dual booting with Win 9x and 2000 or XP you would have to do it this way.

Or run both in Fat 32, nut that would be the point. Fat32 is better hands down no matter what any uninformed person may say other wise.

Ah, I see we are in agreement. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, try both and make up your mind. You should use Partition Magic, it would allow you to undo the NTFS if you did not like it. Unless you got the skills to do it yourself.

Originally posted by RomeoXP1.0.8.6.

Ah, I see we are in agreement. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, try both and make up your mind. You should use Partition Magic, it would allow you to undo the NTFS if you did not like it. Unless you got the skills to do it yourself.

Nice way to change my comment when you quoted me. If you think Fat32 is better, I suggest that you read up on the subject because your wrong.

Fat32 sucks NTFS is the only way to go.

Originally posted by AgEnTsMiTh

Fat32 sucks NTFS is the only way to go.

Obviously not, sense FAT32 does exist.:cool: The Point is to EACH THEIR OWN. DO WHAT YOU LIKE AND I DO WHAT I LIKE. If that is to complex for you, you might not understand how FAT32 is a better choice in some cases, NTFS in others.

Originally posted by whipper25

well, i've already tried running my system on both the fat32 and nfts format ..and to be honest, i don't see a difference in performance (although it is a lot faster to defrag on a ntfs)..but you do get those security features on ntfs...so, unless you really need the security it doesn't matter which one you go with...i'm on an ntfs format right now

You don't need partition magic to convert to NTFS, just to the command console, and type "convert e: /fs:ntfs /v". or whatever drive you want to convert, you wont lose any information on that drive.

Originally posted by Kharhaz

You don't need partition magic to convert to NTFS, just to the command console, and type "convert e: /fs:ntfs /v". or whatever drive you want to convert, you wont lose any information on that drive.

Wrong quote as posted above, I was responding to bigmoose :p

Last I recalled, if you were using (or planning to use) any other operating system other than Windows XP / Windows 2000, FAT32 was the ONLY way to go.

However, if you plan on using the above 2 operating systems exclusively, not using NTFS is really a stupid decision.

I used NTFS for 6 x months

got no benefit from it at all

formatted FAT32 small partitions

XP is more responsive

its just as solid

it doesn't fragment anymore than NTFS

I can get to XP using DOS

& its never crashed (fingers crossed)

;)

Using ntfsdos pro you can see ntfs partitions in 98 and boot to dos and read/write the partitions. That being said, I see absolutely no reason NOT to go with ntfs when installing XP or 2k?

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45

I used NTFS for 6 x months

got no benefit from it at all

formatted FAT32 small partitions[size

XP is more responsive

its just as solid

it doesn't fragment anymore than NTFS

I can get to XP using DOS

& its never crashed (fingers crossed)

;)

My experience almost exactly.

NTFS better file security? From what? I believe that's on a network, I don't mean your cable connection to the internet. It really doesn't do much good.