• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

fat32 or ntfs

darkmark327    0
even with 9x multibooting, there are NTFS drivers you can find for said OS's

other than that NTFS is better in EVERY WAY...unless you have small (<32 GB IIRC) partitions in which case FAT32 is marginally faster. ?But NTFS is faster on large partitions and with small files, plus the cluster size isn't dependent on disk size...FAT32 partitions on large drives suck up slack space REALLY quick. Plus, NTFS gives you transparent (with slight performance loss...use it on infrequently accessed files) compression, and you can't beat the stability. For the most part, it doesn't suffer from any errors on unplanned shutdowns (not that the NT OS's crash anyway) and if you run web services the security is a must. ?Want to keep files private on FAT32? Too bad. With NTFS it's a simple matter to set up the ACL's. ?There is absolutely no reason to use the dreaded FAT unless you need backwards compatibility.

Okay, maybe so. I still am not convinced. Anyway, I do boot with Windows Me. Not just one but two versions. It's a private story. But The one helps me understand the other. And if I run into problems in XP, Me does come in handy to trouble shoot. Like a recent problem I had. Additionally, I don't need to install every program that I need/want on XP. The fewer the better, only what I need/what keeping it to a minimum. Things run better, easier to manage that way.

Anyway I am tired of the poo. NTFS IS BETTER THAN FAT32. NOW EVERYONE CAN JUST SHUTUP ABOUT IT ALREADY. I still believe it's an individual thing. It's not better for everyone, certainly not me. I mean Me too. You know what I mean.

Er, why not just use two XP installations and have the 2nd to get out of trouble? That's what I do...only takes 1.5 GB if you disable SR, Recycle Bin, & Pagefile

NTFS is better....it's a fact, FAT32 has nothing

Steven P.    13,420

NTFS means New Technology File System

FAT32 means Feeble And Troublesome 32 (times over)

Lol no, it means File Allocation Table 32 bit and is an enhancement from Windows 95 FAT16 which was obviously 16bit allocation. Soon Windows will step over to unified Windows File System (WFS) which is basically a SQL type file system much more enhanced than FAT or NTFS. The beginnings of this can be seen in Active Directory which requires NTFS, so thats already a pointer on how more advanced NTFS is over FAT32

Joel    26
Soon Windows will step over to unified Windows File System (WFS) which is basically a SQL type file system much more enhanced than FAT or NTFS. The beginnings of this can be seen in Active Directory which requires NTFS, so thats already a pointer on how more advanced NTFS is over FAT32

I can't wait :woot: