Canon Powershot A620, any reason not to buy?

Ok, since its my Dad's birthday and its father's Day soon I want to get him a new camera. He has one that he got a year or two ago, but its starting to give headaches. The main problems are that pictures are terribly grainy and off-color in the dark and it's shutter rate is horrible, anything more faster than about 0.25MPH is blurred beyond recognition, and it used a flash format that wasnt too popular, XD. Most printers and other devices with built-in memorycard reader ports didnt have XD ports.

After looking at multiple top10 lists, I am considering the Canon Powershot A620, most of the cameras in the top10 lists were Canon Powershots.

Originally my pricerange was in the under $200 range, and this is a $300-400 camera, but there are a few online stores like buydig and newegg that are selling it for around $220 to $240, since its 7 megapixel its really kinda hard for me to try to find another for that kinda price.

I was reading multiple reviews online, and it was very difficult to find a negative review on it, sure there was the occational bad review here and there but the overwhelming majority were 4/5 or 5/5 reviews.

So I want to ask here too just to make sure, has anyone ever seen/used this camera? What do you think about it? Is it a good purchase for the price/megapixels/optical zoom im getting? Hows it's light/dark shooting and shutter speed? Any problems with it?

Thanks for your time.

I use one of those at work, and you simply won't find a better camera for the money. Ours was $350 on sale just a few months ago. My co-worker bought one for himself for $220 a few weeks ago. :happy:

I believe the "S" stands for slim bodies.

I just bought the A620, and I'm loving it so far, though it's a tad bit bigger than most cheap digicams you can buy nowadays. If that's not an issue, buy buy buy!

• 4 weeks later...