Longest City Name In The World

Zebbyrocks

Hehe aye, I've heard of it lots, used to visit wales on holiday a few times, WE've been near there.

My sister can actuall say it. I can tell you the last "gogogoch" is prouncounced "go go goff" with the accents :p. It's quite fun hearing it be said, a lot of people can say it. It's very real, and I guess quite famous here!

xD

~Seb

Corris

well i live here in Wales, and you learn to hate that name lol

sitting in welsh class and the teacher brings up a picture followed by "were going to all learn to say this properly today" which is usually followed by "only if you jump off a cliff first"

Scirwode

sitting in welsh class and the teacher brings up a picture followed by "were going to all learn to say this properly today" which is usually followed by "only if you jump off a cliff first"

:laugh:

PSG22?

Bhav
:wacko: what does it mean? (no need to explain if it takes hours...) :p

Probably some type of protein.

DaveLegg

I've been there myself once, about three years ago, and yes, I can pronounce the whole thing (and remember it) Not too sure about spelling it off the top of my head though...

_sphinx_

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminyll eucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylal anylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylseryl leucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspa rtylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylproly lleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthre onylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglu taminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylgl utaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmeth ionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleuc ylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylg lycylvalylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglutaminylgl utamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhist idylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprol ylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylala nylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginyla lanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylp rolylleucylasparaginylhistidylleucylvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasp araginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucyl serylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylg lycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylis oleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylgluta myllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylpro

lylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine

well, there's the 2nd longest word (1913 letters)... :shifty:

found it here-- http://www.a-z-dictionaries.com/blog/?page_id=79

it says there is a word that is 3641 letters long, but i couldn't find it.

*cough*bullsh*cough*

This is stupid (not the poster- the name). It really is. Why would someone make up such a long name? Hell, in Biology, Ribulosebiphosphate carboxylase (an enzyme) is shortened to RuBisco.

The longest REAL English word is:

Floccinaucinihilipilification which means the habit of esteeming or describing something as worthless, or making something to be worthless by said means.

+Dick Montage

"That welsh place" - the train station signage is longer than the station platform! Seriously, it was on TV.

Longest word I know is:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcaniconiosis - Which is a medical term (and hence not in ALL dictionaries) referring to a form of chest/throat infection suffered by minors due to the microscopic coal particles they inhale.

DaveLegg

"That welsh place" - the train station signage is longer than the station platform! Seriously, it was on TV.

It's not, in fact, it's quite a bit shorter than the platform.

_sphinx_

Longest word I know is:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcaniconiosis - Which is a medical term (and hence not in ALL dictionaries) referring to a form of chest/throat infection suffered by minors due to the microscopic coal particles they inhale.

The GBOWR says otherwise

Bamsebjørn

So, what's your e-mail address?

john@llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk

:unsure: :| :laugh:

DomZ

I'm proud to be welsh, but it's reasons like this why I sometimes frown upon the welsh language. Still, it's an achievment I guess :p

leovanham

LOL put that on a letter and send it, the people there will rarely get mail i think :D ..what is the shortest city name in the World?

Stephen

its hillarious watching my nian and taid (dunno how you spell it) saying it.

and ive been there, ive been where other neowinians have been :D

ste

Hum

:laugh: Thailand has beaten challenges from New Zealand and Wales for the world's longest place name. Internet websites in all three countries claim that odd tourist magnet.

THAILAND: "Bangkok is a city of extremes and superlatives, a city you do not react to indifferently," says Thailand at a Glance. "Recently declared the world's hottest city by the World Meteorological Organization, it also boasts the world's longest name:

Krung-thep-maha-nakorn-boworn-ratana-kosin-mahintar-ayudhya-amaha-dilok-pop-nopa-ratana-rajthani-burirom-udom-rajniwes-mahasat-arn-amorn-pimarn-avatar-satit-sakattiya-visanukam.

"Not surprisingly, only a handful of Thais can remember such a mouthful, although the abbreviated translation of the whole is a relatively brief Jewelled city of the god Indra. However, most Thais simply refer to it as Krung Thep, City Angels."

We sought a ruling from a Bangkok wordsmith, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan who said the correct spelling (163 letters) is Krung?thep?maha?nakorn?amorn?ratana?kosin?mahintar?ayutthay?amaha?dilok?phop?noppa?ratrajathani?burirom?udom?rajaniwes?mahasat?harn?amorn?phimarn?avatarn?sathit?sakkattiya?visanukamprasit.

http://www.fun-with-words.com/longest_place_names.html

dreamz

The longest REAL English word is:

Floccinaucinihilipilification which means the habit of esteeming or describing something as worthless, or making something to be worthless by said means.

actually, that's not right.

floccinaucinihilipilificatious is longer. ;)

:laugh: Thailand has beaten challenges from New Zealand and Wales for the world's longest place name. Internet websites in all three countries claim that odd tourist magnet.

THAILAND: "Bangkok is a city of extremes and superlatives, a city you do not react to indifferently," says Thailand at a Glance. "Recently declared the world's hottest city by the World Meteorological Organization, it also boasts the world's longest name:

Krung-thep-maha-nakorn-boworn-ratana-kosin-mahintar-ayudhya-amaha-dilok-pop-nopa-ratana-rajthani-burirom-udom-rajniwes-mahasat-arn-amorn-pimarn-avatar-satit-sakattiya-visanukam.

"Not surprisingly, only a handful of Thais can remember such a mouthful, although the abbreviated translation of the whole is a relatively brief Jewelled city of the god Indra. However, most Thais simply refer to it as Krung Thep, City Angels."

We sought a ruling from a Bangkok wordsmith, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan who said the correct spelling (163 letters) is Krung?thep?maha?nakorn?amorn?ratana?kosin?mahintar?ayutthay?amaha?dilok?phop?noppa?ratrajathani?burirom?udom?rajaniwes?mahasat?harn?amorn?phimarn?avatarn?sathit?sakkattiya?visanukamprasit.

that is correct. the thai word for bangkok is the longest name.

thugilex

LMFAO :rofl:

"where you from?"

"...I'd rather not say"

"..."

ALIEN ! hahahahahaha :alien:

qdave

very curious pronounciation for that wales city.

+Dick Montage
It's not, in fact, it's quite a bit shorter than the platform.

Really? Why did I see a TV show saying (and showing) otherwise?

Scirwode

Wow, now :laugh:39;s a mouthful :laugh: .

PSG22?

snyper

My Welsh isnt great but as far as i know the official translation is...

"the little town in wales where no sheep is safe from molestation"

hehehehe

C

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminyll eucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylal anylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylseryl leucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspa rtylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylproly lleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthre onylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglu taminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylgl utaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmeth ionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleuc ylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylg lycylvalylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglutaminylgl utamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhist idylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprol ylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylala nylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginyla lanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylp rolylleucylasparaginylhistidylleucylvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasp araginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucyl serylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylg lycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylis oleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylgluta myllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylpro

lylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine

well, there's the 2nd longest word (1913 letters)... :shifty:

found it here-- http://www.a-z-dictionaries.com/blog/?page_id=79

it says there is a word that is 3641 letters long, but i couldn't find it.

Even though the name is correct we, biologists, never write protein names this way otherwise there would be even much longer names. We use symbols (letters) for each aminoacid in a protein or we give easier names to them for the common people.

C?sar:))

Edited by C
Disjunto

welsh words are funny, welsh people speaking is funny, but this place name was never that funny and yet people are still learning about it years after word spread across the pond :p

@Guy trying to spell Nain and Taid... <---- it's spelt like that

levianthen

So, what's your e-mail address?

john@llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk

:unsure:: :|| :laugh::

lol ;))

Stephen

welsh words are funny, welsh people speaking is funny, but this place name was never that funny and yet people are still learning about it years after word spread across the pond :p

@Guy trying to spell Nain and Taid... <---- it's spelt like that

thats it.. youd think after 16 years of writing cards youd remember but...

Denis W.

what is the shortest city name in the World?

The villages of ? in Norway and Y in France have the shortest names.

(from here)

Offtopic oddity: most people agree this Austrian town has the weirdest name. :laugh:: (replace the asterisks with the four letter F word)

Edited by rm20010