• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

.dmg file

calvinyoon    0

what exactly are .dmg files? are they compressed files such as a .zip file? i downloaded msn messenger, and after installing it, can i delete the .dmg file? if not, what do i do with it, is there a specific recommended folder to put it in? thanks.

ikyouCrow    0

what exactly are .dmg files? are they compressed files such as a .zip file? i downloaded msn messenger, and after installing it, can i delete the .dmg file? if not, what do i do with it, is there a specific recommended folder to put it in? thanks.

dmg stands for Disk Mountable Image. it's one of the many formats software is distributed in.

when you double click the dmg, it's mounted on the desktop and the file itself cannot be deleted until you unmount it.

simply drag the mounted image to the trash to 'eject' it (usually a white removable disk icon, or in this case it may be badged with the messenger buddies).

you may also have to make sure any apps running off the image are closed.

if all else fail, restarting most often rids you of a stubborn mounted dmg. after that you can delete it safely.

.Neo    1,834

Basically this is what you do with it step by step, using Microsoft Messenger as an example:

Download Messenger511.dmg > Mount it, by double clicking the icon > Open the new "Microsoft Messenger" Disc Image > Copy "Microsoft Messenger.app" to your Applications folder > Eject the "Microsoft Messenger" Disc Image by dragging it to the Trash or by selecting it and press cmd+E > Delete Messenger511.dmg.

am_fek    0

Just think of them like virtual CDs. When you open the .dmg file, you are 'inserting' the virtual CD and it shows up on your desktop. Copy whatever you want off it onto your hard drive and 'eject' the disk.

.Neo    1,834

Yeah exactly.

hotdog666al    31

Apple need to have some sort of DMG guide bundled with OSX.

Perhaps an 'Introduction to Mac OS X' interactive tutorial on the desktop by default.