./configure

I used installed Ubuntu, first time using linux apart from Knoppix. I got the CVS of xchat. Can't seem to configure it :/

sam@SamLinux:~$ cd /home/sam/xchat2
sam@SamLinux:~/xchat2$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

Any ideas? :/

Is the 'configure' file definitely in that directory?

the ./ is telling your machine to execute the script contained in that file in the current directory.

Use an ls to find out :)

./autogen.sh

btw, i'm a *nix n00b :D

EDIT: got this:

sam@SamLinux:~$ cd /home/sam/xchat2
sam@SamLinux:~/xchat2$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

Cvs checkouts use autogen.sh to generate the configure script, and the it will run configure. So if you run ./autogen.sh it will make and run configure for you, this will install to /usr/local by default.

One other thing to remember is that in a default Ubuntu install there are no development libraries or headers installed. But it's real easy to get the ones you need for an app that's on the system. Just run -> sudo apt-get build-dep xchat , that will install all the development files you need to build xchat.

root@SamLinux:/home/sam/xchat2# ./autogen.sh
searching for GNU gettext intl directory...
 -> /usr/share/gettext/intl... found it
copying gettext intl files...
running aclocal...
aclocal:configure.in:18: warning: macro `AM_DISABLE_STATIC' not found in libraryaclocal:configure.in:161: warning: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0' not found in libraryaclocal:configure.in:173: warning: macro `AM_PATH_GTK_2_0' not found in library
running libtoolize...
./autogen.sh: line 81: libtoolize: command not found
libtoolize failed, stopping.

In your menu.lst, take the postion of the Windows entry (for example, the 4th entry), minus 1 off the number, and change the number next to "default=" from 0 to this number:

Real Postion - Grub Postion

1st-0

2nd-1

3rd-2

4th-3