• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[UK] Buying a HDTV

+Peewee210    85

Need some questions answering about HDTV.

Basically our TV we have had now is getting on a bit and my rents have decided to get a new TV, a HDTV (hopefully). Well since HDTV has only been out for a few months here, i really don't understand it alot.

Currently i have Sky + with the full package (?42 a month). I heard when buying a HDTV i need something called HDMI connection because Sky + boxes only have a HDMI to HDMI connection or something like that, so do i need one of these? Also i take it none of the channels will be HD because im on Sky + and i need to get a Sky HD box to get HD on sky? So is it worth getting a HDTV if i need to buy the HDTV and a HD Sky box, which is about ?300 + ?10 a month?

Hopefully i explained that clearly, looking forward to your responses...

EDIT - Where is the best places to buy a HDTV from? Dont want to buy anything too expensive

Edited by Peewee210

pixelpixel    48

What is your budget ?

By the way why do you want a HDtv ?

Do you want to watch films, sport ect in HD ?

Have you seen any HDtv content / examples ?

+Peewee210    85

Budget will be ?500-800

It was my dads idea to get a HDTV because why get a another Colour TV might go with what ever is the lastest.

I prefer to watch Movies and sport really, it might be too late to watch HD World cup now but after that i love to watch films in HD

No, i haven't actual seen a HDTV with a HD Picture

Julius Caro    55

I'm not entirely sure, but I read a while ago that Sky would support HD output through component, to support those customers without HDMI or without HDCP in their TV sets.

Plus, for sure the receiver has component output.

HDMI would be better and more future proof too, there's a lot of TVs with HDMI now on the market.

Budget will be ?500-800

It was my dads idea to get a HDTV because why get a another Colour TV might go with what ever is the lastest.

I prefer to watch Movies and sport really, it might be too late to watch HD World cup now but after that i love to watch films in HD

No, i haven't actual seen a HDTV with a HD Picture

You're gonna like it:DD

pixelpixel    48

You have missed the install for sky+hd. Currently your looking at September for an install date.

I would have a look at some models and keep looking I had a Samsung LCD which had to be replaced within 3 days. Now have an LG and its perfect.

Other than just the HD stuff, I also saved on room space. Thats something to look at regarding size.

Have a look at http://www.avforums.com some of the members have sky+hd installed.

+Peewee210    85

Thanks for the information Galvin.

But if a get a HDTV and hook it up to the Sky + box etc, i will only recieve Digital quality channels and no HD, so is there a point buying one if i don't get SKY HD?

Bhav    18

Whenever you look for a TV in Europe, you must look for the 'HD ready' label.

Only then consider the TV.

This will guarantee 720p or 1080i support. Then, you look for the HDMI.

You should be able to get a good 32" for ?800.

Edit: yes if you don't have Sky HD, you won't get high definition TV. At the moment, you won't get any high definition tv programmes without knowing you're paying for the privilege.

+Peewee210    85
Edit: yes if you don't have Sky HD, you won't get high definition TV. At the moment, you won't get any high definition tv programmes without knowing you're paying for the privilege.

Thats what i thought, i wont even get the BBC HD channel?

-T-    671

Where did September come from for the installs, I sold sky HD to someone a few days back, n they're getting it August 3rd, there was a delay in the supply, hence we've had delays in installation. Wait though, as the price is gonna drop, the staff are getting it for ?99 and no HD subs charge, so I'm getting mine then:DD

Bhav    18

Thats what i thought, i wont even get the BBC HD channel?

Nope. Only a select few people in London will get HD BBC through freeview.

The problem is that freeview doesn't have toe bandwidth to carry HD signals for every channel to everyone.

So as I say, you'll know when you'll get HD channels, because you have be paying premium for it.

pixelpixel    48

What problem did you have with the Samsung Gavin?

The LCD had a dead pixel issue but this was one that even the engineer had not seen. If you have ever done one of those kids games where you draw dots on a page and then draw lines and make a box.

Take away the lines and that is what the tv would look like.

Pixel on, Pixel Off.

I have a LG32lx2r and its perfect.

+Peewee210    85

So basically il have to pay about ?800 for a HDTV, ?300 for the Sky HD Box and ?10 a month after that. Just to watch HDTV.

This is going to hard to convice my parents

pixelpixel    48

Where did September come from for the installs, I sold sky HD to someone a few days back, n they're getting it August 3rd, there was a delay in the supply, hence we've had delays in installation. Wait though, as the price is gonna drop, the staff are getting it for ?99 and no HD subs charge, so I'm getting mine then:DD

Sky are offering some customers ?20 back for another install date, due to faulty boxes. Some have had the new box install date set back to as late September. This is due that every box the engineer brings out has been prebooked. Some unlucky people have enginners without replacement boxes.

So basically il have to pay about ?800 for a HDTV, ?300 for the Sky HD Box and ?10 a month after that. Just to watch HDTV.

This is going to hard to convice my parents

Thats right.

But one reason for getting a new tv is not just HD its that even from sky+ you will see a better picture and sound. I have and im glad I did.

-T-    671

Sky are offering some customers ?20 back for another install date, due to faulty boxes. Some have had the new box install date set back to as late September. This is due that every box the engineer brings out has been prebooked. Some unlucky people have enginners without replacement boxes.

Thats right.

I'm aware of what they're offering, I work there. There were no faulty boxes, there was basically a shortage in certain components which led to us being unable to fufil the orders that were placed. Yes some people were rebooked, but there is a huge push to get it all going as smooth as possible from August.

pixelpixel    48

I'm aware of what they're offering, I work there. There were no faulty boxes, there was basically a shortage in certain components which led to us being unable to fufil the orders that were placed. Yes some people were rebooked, but there is a huge push to get it all going as smooth as possible from August.

There are some problems with the ff/rw speeds and some unlucky people are getting doggy fans. I like the ' There were no faulty boxes' like any electronics company you will always get a percentage of items will be faulty. Just like Apple you can add Sky to that list.

I am not Anti sky. I would be lost with my sky+ box. I will just leave the bugs and 1st gen boxes and wait.

Captain_Wang    0

I really don't think it's worth getting a HDTV in the UK yet. They're pushing them for the World Cup so I'm hoping by the end of the year they'll be cheap enough so my budget can extend to a 40" one.

lunamonkey    118

Unless you got HD content (xbox360,PC, or SkyHD) then I would wait for the next phase of TVs to come out next year, and _possibly_ HD content on "normal" cable/sky packages.

Hopefully for hesitant adopters, the prices will come down another ?300-?400 in the next 6 months, just like they have already.

In order for people to take up HD, there definitely needs to be HDTV content on the normal packages on sky/ntl. Otherwise, only gamers will take up HDTVs.

+Peewee210    85

Yeah i might as well wait, too late to watch World Cup in HD, so wait till the Sky HD Box comes down in price and a HDTV comes down in price as well

+Peewee210    85

Im planning to buy a HDTV on eBay then wait till the Sky HD box drops in price. Is it worth it or not?

Bhav    18

Personally I wouldn't buy a TV off ebay because of the lack of warranty. With the possibility of dead pixels, and probably other problems, you do want some sort of manufacturer warranty.

+Peewee210    85

Is this one good for example then?

Here

Bhav    18

Yeah that one looks good, since you're basically buying it from the shop because you have to go and collect it from one of their branches, which is definitely something I'd prefer over an infrequent ebayer.

Just check the official website to confirm it's HD ready. Remember it's rear projection so it'll be big at the back.

+Peewee210    85

I have been looking at some HDTV's for the past week and a bit. What is the difference between Rear Projection, Plasma and LCD High definition. I heard of someone that LCD is alot clearer and rear projection is lower quality because there "blown" up, but i don't know about Plasma HD.

Anybody know?

Bhav    18

Rear projection means you'll have a huge part on the back of the TV, but apparently the quality is great.

Plasma is good at big sizes, but the price goes up exponentially.

LCD is the most common, and has the most variety in terms of sizes and connections. So this is the best option for most, since most people will find an LCD HDTV to suit their budget.

If you want to know technical differences, I suggest to do a quick google, or take a look at wikipedia.