• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

"M$" is Shut Down.

I find it annoying when people still think it's funny to say "M$" instead of "MS".  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Brian M.    778

It gets annoying after a while... but i am guilty - whenever im annoyed with Microsoft i do call them M$ (along with other things :))

LG-2    0

I use it the way I feel like using it.

Bhav    18

Yes it is annoying. It's not funny anymore.

Inplode    0

i could care less really

Samanthala    0

you know, there IS a reason why there's only one option. remember how he said it was a declaration of how it wasn't cool or funny any more? yeah. there you go.

Big_Daddy    2

M$ is a statement. MS is an acronym. OP is daft.

and OPP is a song! :laugh:

revvo    21

In all seriousness, I always thought it was a lame attempt by *nix and Apple folks to try to to look cool (either that or them trying to speak "leet").

In all seriousness, the "M$" term is a joky term to simply indicate that MSFT = Big Corporate Beast that goes after the big bucks, which it is, then again every single company out there have the same goal in making profits so really the dollar sig could be put in any company name like GENERAL MOTOR$.

Aside the seriousness, its just a dollar sign...... think of it as the letter "S" with an "I" going through it.

sundayx    127

does it offend anyone? cause to me its just a nickname, i dont really give a sheet

Lurky    0

Yeah, I'm tired of seeing "M$" and I also hate "Winblows" and stuff like that..

Even though I actually do dislike Windows and like Apple's OS X operating system, I refrain from using the terms like "Winblows" and "M$" and stuff like that..

Bamsebjørn    745

Okay, from now on it's going to be Ms?...:))

I find it surprising that everyone seems to agree, according to the poll.:pp

Night Prowler    132

The M$ is generally used by the *.nix users becuse Microsoft CHARGES for it's OS and thet pay NOTHING for their *.nix software (most hardcore *.nix users). You put a FREE charge on Microsofts OS and you would see a flood of *.nix uses switching their workstations over. They just can't stand paying for software. Thjey just love open source or free.

+warwagon    13,037

HA, you can only chose yes... thats funny, that got an LOL out of me

jimbo11883    1

Yea there should be a no choice, so that we actually know how many people voted, because just having yes doesn't help in that matter.

YBG    0

m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$ m$

jimbo11883    1

The M$ is generally used by the *.nix users becuse Microsoft CHARGES for it's OS and thet pay NOTHING for their *.nix software (most hardcore *.nix users). You put a FREE charge on Microsofts OS and you would see a flood of *.nix uses switching their workstations over. They just can't stand paying for software. Thjey just love open source or free.

Who says you have to pay for Microsoft's software, though... People who use *nix software most likely do so because they perfer it, that's all.

Kaidiir    3

Yep, I do hate it when people write "M$"

It's because it represents an attitude. An attitude of "I'm cool because supposedly I use a minority operating system, and thus I have the right to shove it in everyone's face at every opportunity".

People get over yourselves. In the end, no one really gives a fart about what OS you use, because in the end it doesn't matter. Just because you use some obscure Linux or other OS distribution does not make you better or cooler than the average Joe. It's just your computer, get on with life.

And while we do love our boxes (myself included), it just shows immaturity and intolerance when people go around constantly broadcasting "M$".

xpablo    136

Who cares M$ it is !

or I guess you guys hate Micro$oft too !

I don't use to be cool, I use it because Micro$oft $oftware is expen$ive I'm not one of those Anti-Micro$oft facists either, we all wouldn't be using computers today if it werent for Micro$oft.

Don't circumvent the filter!!! - Simon

Edited by Simon

Jeremy1    0
Who says you have to pay for Microsoft's software, though...

Microsoft does...

ScottKin    11

I'd love to see *nix users switching from their current OS to a modern version of Windows.

Unfortunately, it won't run too well on the 486DX2-66 systems and Monochrome monitors that many more *nix users still have and use than you'd realize.

BWAHAHAHAH!! :woot:

--ScottKin

Scirwode    18

^^ Bah, he beat me to it :p

:laugh: . In any case, I do agree that it is something that we shouldn't be doing, considering what Microsoft has done for us in the past despite all their shortcomings. Microsoft deserves a level of respect and that extends to each of the companies that offer similar products - Apple, Microsoft, Linux, Sony, Nintendo and many other companies that people have criticise to the extreme in the past. I may not use some of the products the companies refered above are offering but I respect them for what they have achieve and contributed to the whole community.

Those who use these types of abbriviations are those who do not deserve respect in return, simply because they cannot accept that certain people like to use a certain type of product. We all have a choice to choose what we want and I rather have the power to choose which is best for me, rather than having someone who has no respect for the competition do it for me.

PSG22™

XerXis    259

I hate it when people write M$. it's a company, they are supposed to make money, their shareholders demand it, their employees need it. get over it. The most annoying part of the story is how many people think that apple and google do it just for the fun of it with their 1$ CEO salary and "we're not evil" moto. It just shows that they have good marketing ;).

+Human.Online    8,294

"M$" is so pathetic that it hurts!

Usually written by idiots who only know what people tell them!

leovanham    3

Mi$ter $a$$iepan$ № more M$!

L3thal    2

It's Microsoft; you either love them or hate them. Unfortunately, you have a clan of anti-Microsoft buffoons who don't know why they hate Microsoft. They just see other people have something against them os they join in as well. What is their main argument of why they hate them? Monopoly :whistle:

markjensen    98
Yep, I do hate it when people write "M$"

It's because it represents an attitude. An attitude of "I'm cool because supposedly I use a minority operating system, and thus I have the right to shove it in everyone's face at every opportunity".

People get over yourselves. In the end, no one really gives a fart about what OS you use, because in the end it doesn't matter. Just because you use some obscure Linux or other OS distribution does not make you better or cooler than the average Joe. It's just your computer, get on with life.

And while we do love our boxes (myself included), it just shows immaturity and intolerance when people go around constantly broadcasting "M$".

Bah. Your theory that it is primarily Linux users seems to be wrong. A majority are Windows (only) users or dual-booters. But most people that don't use Microsoft don't go around typing "M$" everywhere.

I assume they do it to comment on the money-focused nature of the company (but that is what corporations are for, after all). I don't care how much money they charge Windows uers for their software, or how many features they drop from their plan along the way, or how many delays they have. I just don't use it.

And, with a "poll" of only one option, this seems more like a no-so-cleverly disguised rant than a Poll.