Anybody switching back?

This is a genuine question.

Are any Mac/Linux users interested in the features offered by Windows Vista?

Are there people that wish to go back to Windows?

If so: why?

I'm curious (and this forum needs a bump, before it dies entirely ;) )

This is a genuine question.

Are any Mac/Linux users interested in the features offered by Windows Vista?

Are there people that wish to go back to Windows?

If so: why?

I'm curious (and this forum needs a bump, before it dies entirely ;) )

Nope. Now that I have spent time working and learning Linux, I enjoy the way that I can be in total control of it. My SuSE 10.0 64-Bit distro works without any hitches at all. No downtime, no spyware / malware, no viruses, no security issues. I will never give another dime to Redmond. Period. :yes:

But if Windows XP or Vista works for you (or anyone else for that matter) then more power to you. That is the beauty of freedom of choice.

Barney

Dual OSing is the way for me. OS X for work, Windows for games. Vista looks nice on the eyes now compared to the dated XP, which i like :)

If I wasn't such a gamer, all my machines would be Linux, but right now it's just my laptop that has a distro on it. I, however, do not plan on getting Vista....

Barney knows what he's talking about. I was interested in Vista until so many features started dropping like flies.. not that I'd have paid for it :shiftyninja:

even if i did have the money to *waste* on vista i wouldn't, what a crocket of sh*t , u6.06 for me ... life is good

even if i did have the money to *waste* on vista i wouldn't, what a crocket of sh*t , u6.06 for me ... life is good

Quoted for truth- I'm the same way you are. Why would I want to pay for an OS that's like XP with a "better" UI? Please :rolleyes:

It really depends on the final product to me. If there is something compelling in Vista I may put it on my Mac. I get a license for free anyway.

I'll probably skip putting it on my laptop. XP pwns its 512mb of RAM already and that's probably a bad sign for Vista, plus it just has integrated graphics so no nice visual stuff.

Quoted for truth- I'm the same way you are. Why would I want to pay for an OS that's like XP with a "better" UI? Please :rolleyes:

I don't intend to get Vista, but there IS more to it than just a UI.

A lot of features have been added, there's lots of improvement.

However, quite a few of those features are (for me) unnecessary, and a lot of the others are already present in Linux.

I intend to carry on dual-booting Linux and Windows XP.

I doubt there will be many OSX/*NIX users who have fully made the switch going back to windows. There are so many factor going against it: expensive, complicated (yes, I said it), dropping features "like flies", WGA, built-in DRM (read up on the protected media path), viruses, spyware, etc. And there's nothing wrong with the alternates (OSX/*NIX). Gaming is the only weak point of these OSs. So why bother?

I have almost exactly zero interest in Windows any more. I haven't downloaded the public beta of Vista, as it has nothing that I am interested in.

Dual OSing is the way for me. OS X for work, Windows for games. Vista looks nice on the eyes now compared to the dated XP, which i like :)

im the same. mac has all need for productivity, but for games gotta have windows, especially since DX10 is coming. that will be nice. but if i had to lose one, i would have to kick windows to the street. love that OSX :)

I just want to see whats the stuff about Vista being so popular, right now I'm installing it on my VMWARE Workstation 5.5 which is running Suse 10.1 as my host. This is my test computer where I do my testing of distros. I did let Vista have 2 cpu option and dedicated 768mb of it, although I could have easily done 1gb. I do have to know Windows because its my job, but I like knowing anything whether its linux\mac or windoze.

Oh and if you're wondering how I could dedicate so much ram my system specs are:

AMD X2 3800+ with 2gb of ram. Wish I didn't buy 4x512 and would've got 2x1gb :(

Vista doesn't present anything interesting or worth using for me right now. Unless it provides speed or security improvements or something like that I have no reason to run it. Maybe in the future if I ever want to play DX10 games.

To be honest after trialing and reporting bugs in earlier beta's I am seriously unimpressed with Vista. Perhaps it's just that machine cannot use it to its limits or even that its still actively in development.

I'm running XP and not considering switching so if I was running an alternative OS then there would be even less chance of it happening.

All in all though Vista is a respectable OS and the only reason I choose against using it is personal choice.

i'm starting to see ALOT of posts along the lines of "i need vista for dx10" .... less of an full fledged os and more of a gaming platform for most people?

but im sure microsoft wont take advantage of that fact ... "want to play any game this year, you NEED vista" - microsoft ad campaign .... $$$ for microsoft

Well back in the day when Microsoft released a massive list and described all of the spiffy features that Longhorn would have, I thought that it would be the biggest thing since 95. I'll never leave the Linux/Unix world now, but Vista would have had a place on one of my computers. Now that Vista is only a shell of what it should have been, I'm no longer interested.

The whole Vista "disaster", and yes, I called it what it really is, only shows how incompetent Microsoft has become. Good job (Y)

I switched a few years ago. Bought an ibook, loved OS X...still do...but I made the mistake of ditching all my windows/linux systems when I bought it, and the ibook (G3 800mhz) was too damn slow for a main system. So after a few months I ended up switching back, since Apple seemed to be in a transitional flux as far as where they were going with Intel and all that. Wanted to see how Longhorn/Vista would be shaping up. So, I've been waiting. Now that the intel transition is almost complete, and with Core 2 Duo on the horizon, I see myself picking up an iMac once they start shipping with C2D.

Vista has left me horribly underwhelmed and unimpressed, and I really have lost interest in Linux...or even really dicking around with computers at all. OS X is what I'd always hoped Linux would become, it just never seems to get there. I think I've gotten old enough/bored enough that I just want to do stuff with my systems, instead of doing stuff to my systems. Apple seems like a logical choice based on where my interests are going. I'll keep a PC around for XP-based gaming, but other than that, I think all my future purchases will have an Apple on the box.

Hmmm, switch to an OS that is an obvious knock off of OS X? WHY??? Their GUI is trying to mimic Aqua, their security is a poor attempt at copying OS X's, and best of all................IT IS STILL WINDOWS! I switched to OS X about a year ago and I see no compelling reason to go back. OS X does what I need it to do and in my opinion does it better than Windows. Unfortunately I have to use Windows at work, but its OS X for me at home.

OS X Leopard is on its way, and will probably blow everything else out of the water just like OS X Tiger did. I only use Windows for gaming, but even with that, I'm using OS X more and more for games.

Linux continues to impress me, but Linux apps need to mature *alot* before I'll even consider *going back* to Linux, or rather, using Linux side-by-side with OS X. Adobe still hasn't moved its software suite to Linux, for instance. That's a big drawback.

Vista used to impress me - that was a couple of years ago. Now, it's quite apparent that MS will be playing catch-up once again. But it no longer matters. OS X already runs it's own versions of all major Windows apps, and then some.

If I do end up wanting to use Vista, I'll just dual-booot it on my Intel-powered Mac. Problem solved.

• 4 weeks later...

No downtime, no spyware / malware, no viruses, no security issues.

You shouldn't take that for granted.

Good question, why did so many people pay for Windows 98?

Switched to a 17" MacBook Pro. Tried using Vista beta 2 on it, and wasn't impressed. Seemed just like a re-themed XP. Aero didn't properly work, and that may have been Apple's fault, but I really don't think its worth paying so much. Everytime I searched for an application in the start menu search, Explorer (or whatever its called) crashed, to the point where if I searched twice on the same boot, I'd have to restart. And I've come to the impression that Vista will be a DRM-crazed environment, where anytime you want to do something "fun" with your media, its disabled.

Maybe that's just me.

The only thing that's been holding me back from using a Mac is gaming, but considering I only really play WoW now, I plan on getting a Mac in the near future. I just don't like where the Windows OS is headed.

Yeah, I've gone from Mac only to dual systems. at home Vista ready desktop replacement laptop and Mac Mini (Intel).

Not against any OS. I use Ubuntu in work for my daily stuff, 2 Mac's for editing and other things, XP machine for media encoding and my new laptop for home and everything else. I really don't get the hatred that a lot of users here direct at any one system or manufacturer. It's stupid.