[Review] Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I just wanted to update you all. I recently bought a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card. I was hopping the card would improve the audio quality, but after installing it, I was unable to notice any difference from my onboard sound to the dedicated sound card. I'm guessing that I may have to end up paying more to notice any difference. On your opinion, would you recommend getting a dedicated sound card if I'm only using a 2.1 configuration? If I should, please post some cards that are better suited for stereo sound. As of right now I'm thinking of returing the Audigy SE.

The Audigy SE seams like a good card, but you will not notice any difference in music quality from onbaoard to this card. This sound card seams better suited if you want to upgrade from a 2.1 to a sourround sound configuration and you are on a tight budget.

Maybe sound is good, but I prefer more Logitech design.

This Klipsch looks little old'ish in style :rolleyes:

Anyway, very nice review :)

Hey everyone, I just wanted to update you all. I recently bought a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card. I was hopping the card would improve the audio quality, but after installing it, I was unable to notice any difference from my onboard sound to the dedicated sound card. I'm guessing that I may have to end up paying more to notice any difference. On your opinion, would you recommend getting a dedicated sound card if I'm only using a 2.1 configuration? If I should, please post some cards that are better suited for stereo sound. As of right now I'm thinking of returing the Audigy SE.

The Audigy SE seams like a good card, but you will not notice any difference in music quality from onbaoard to this card. This sound card seams better suited if you want to upgrade from a 2.1 to a sourround sound configuration and you are on a tight budget.

Since you paid 135$ for 2.1 speakers, you should have invested in the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music. That would have helped a bit. But not by a large factor. The 24Bit Crystaliser do help to bring the best of your MP3 files.

I was going to say the opposite. The Klipsch could be around for the next 15 years and they would still be in style. Simple black design.

I've had my set for about 4 years or so. They still sound great. I keep them on all the time. A couple of times I've had to swap out the fuses but that wasn't a big deal. And that was only because of a power surge at home.

Note: there is a master fuse you can get to fromteh outside, but ther eis also a fuse for each channel inside the subwoofer itself. So if one of your speakers stops working and all your connections are right, chances are one of those fuses went.

Great speakers, great price.

It's a speaker, and you're talking about looks? :no:

About the mid-range, it's incredible. So is the lower end. My only complaint is that the high end is a bit too pronounced for my ears and needs a bit of EQing.

I leave mine on all the time, since it's connected to the power bar, which shuts down everything when I turn it off. It's not bad for the speaker, although you'll hear a slight buzz if you have a poor soundcard and turn the volume up.

Since you paid 135$ for 2.1 speakers, you should have invested in the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music. That would have helped a bit. But not by a large factor. The 24Bit Crystaliser do help to bring the best of your MP3 files.

TruckWEB, thanks for letting me know about the X-Fi. What does the 24-bit Crystalizer actually do to the music files, do you know? I noticed the Audigy SE supported 24 bit playback at 96 khz, but since most music is at 16 bits and 41 khz, it really wasn't worth it. I ended up returning the card, and am currently using the integrated sound which should be good for now.

I was going to say the opposite. The Klipsch could be around for the next 15 years and they would still be in style. Simple black design.

I've had my set for about 4 years or so. They still sound great. I keep them on all the time. A couple of times I've had to swap out the fuses but that wasn't a big deal. And that was only because of a power surge at home.

Note: there is a master fuse you can get to fromteh outside, but ther eis also a fuse for each channel inside the subwoofer itself. So if one of your speakers stops working and all your connections are right, chances are one of those fuses went.

Great speakers, great price.

Thanks for letting me know about the fuses roxic. How much were they to replace btw?

It's a speaker, and you're talking about looks? :no:

About the mid-range, it's incredible. So is the lower end. My only complaint is that the high end is a bit too pronounced for my ears and needs a bit of EQing.

I leave mine on all the time, since it's connected to the power bar, which shuts down everything when I turn it off. It's not bad for the speaker, although you'll hear a slight buzz if you have a poor soundcard and turn the volume up.

Thanks for your input Monkeh. Many people complain about horn tweeters. It seams like its a love it or hate it situation. Personally I like them and leave my eq flat.

TruckWEB, thanks for letting me know about the X-Fi. What does the 24-bit Crystalizer actually do to the music files, do you know? I noticed the Audigy SE supported 24 bit playback at 96 khz, but since most music is at 16 bits and 41 khz, it really wasn't worth it. I ended up returning the card, and am currently using the integrated sound which should be good for now.

You should read this : SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music

----------------------------------------------------------

X-Fi 24-bit Crystalizer? enhances MP3s and movies to sound better than they do on their original CD or DVD.

Utilizing the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor your music and movie audio is sent through a two-step quality enhancement process. First the processor converts the audio into 24-bit/96kHz quality using its virtually transparent SRC (Sample Rate Converter) engine. Then it remasters and selectively enhances the audio by analyzing and identifying which parts of the audio stream have been restricted/damaged during the compression stages to 16-bit and then to MP3.

CrystalizerMusic Benefits: Low and high frequencies are enhanced while the dynamics are improved. Overall your music will sound cleaner, smoother and will sparkle!

----------------------------------------------------------

• 9 months later...

Edit: I revised part of the review and added specification from the manufacture.

Any questions or comments, feel free to post.

^ for real man. I got the Logitech Z-5500 so I could upgrade to 5.1 and sell my GMX 2.1, but the clarity of the Klipsch made me keep them because you can really tell a difference. By defualt you don't need to tweak any sounds settings becuase it's already very good out of the box.