[review] OCZ Mini-Kart USB thumb drive

0038an.jpg

Back in the days when 5.25" floppies were replaced by newer, smaller and higher capacity 3.5" disks, no one could have imagined that something invented a decade later can be so revolutionary. At less than 10% of the size of every standard floppy disks ever manufactured, adding on a capability of accommodating a couple thousand times more data with the latest models, USB thumb drives are prone to change the way everyone carries digital content.

Bridging between the floppy disk era and USB thumb drive age were CD-R and CD-RWs, however, they have a large physical size, inconvenient, and worse of all, slow. When USB thumb drives were introduced, utilizing fast-arising flash memory, technology enthusiasts finally found a replacement for aging floppy disks. These little gadgets that conveniently plugs into any computer with an open USB port on board, offers a significant performance gain over floppies and compact discs, as well as boasting such a small physical size that has never been achieved before using any other portable storage medium.

As USB thumb drives took over as a standard for portable storage, not a revolution -- but an evolution -- exists between generations of these tiny portable storage devices. One of the most prominent changes that we've seen over several past years can be categorized into two areas: One with emphasis on performance; with the second having a highlight on size and dimensions.

As we go over the OCZ Mini-Kart today, it's apparent that OCZ's focus on this product is not performance, but rather having an obvious emphasis on physical size. And all this can be seen by its design -- let's go over an analysis of OCZ's Mini-Kart to see if we can observe something out of the ordinary.

http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/ocz_mini_kart

-- Explanation on ratings and more details on my reviews: http://aphnetworks.com/review_focus

-- Anonymous comment is enabled on my site, so you can comment there as well.

Comments, questions, corrections etc please tell me. Give your opinions, tell me where I can improve on! :)

--

For those who wondering. I dont want to paste the review here on this page because:

- I dont want to change all the HTML/php code or whatever into BBCode

- Formatting issues

- Takes too much time to do all these stuff

- Reuploading all images to imageshack.us with take a long time.

- It is not convenient for me to edit mistakes here and on my site.

It's a good review. :yes: But I have two suggestions to make. Eliminate the transfer rate graph on the multi-file test and eliminate the transfer times on the single file test.

Reasoning: The multifile test is not good for testing transfer rates for various reasons (i.e. latency). Therefore the graph is somewhat useless.

For the single file test, the transfer time graph is redundant.

I have 2 USB drives the same size as these but it's not OCZ ... I dunno what brand they are. I think they're called i-sticks or something. :blink:

I've got the 1GB OCZ Rally and I must say it's a great product. I've heard from other reviews that the transfer rate of the Kart is about half of the rally, but it's still a good drive in terms of space/size. :yes:

nice although I want an OCZ Rally2 2Gb >_<

Yeah I am getting a Rally 2 as well :D

I've got the 1GB OCZ Rally and I must say it's a great product. I've heard from other reviews that the transfer rate of the Kart is about half of the rally, but it's still a good drive in terms of space/size. :yes:

I got to find out more... I am getting a Rally 2 (Their revised version) see if its any good :D

Not sure why the Cruzer mini is shown there. The Cruzer micro is just about the size of the mini kart.

Speed will definitely have an effect with Vista's ReadyBoost.

I'd wait off until the Rally 2 comes around :D (Which apparently is already out -- just not at newegg)

I am getting a review in soon for that too.