camera reccomendation

I was asked by a friend/co-worker to help him find a digital camera but while I tend to be good at finding things on the internet i don't know that much about photography.

He wants it for a Safari trip so its got to have good zoom and be good for low light levels.etc

Image stablastion would be a prefered feature.

I should imagine battery life would play an important part (espcially as some cameras have special batteries rather than standard AA's)

Something thats fairly easy to use for an amutur photographer.

He said hes willing to spend upto ?500 on it but obvisouly if its less that would be better.

So hopefully someone here will be able to come up with some suggestion

I'd suggest a DSLR. A Nikon D50 or Canon 350D are the leading entry models around these forums. If you want good optical magnification that's really the only way to go. However, it does get expensive(body + lenses). Both have fully automatic settings, but you really won't be getting the full use out of it in those settings.

As for shooting in low light, you're either looking at some kind of night-vision lens or a tripod and a slow shutter. Depending on how low the light is and the necessary shutter speed, you might be able to hold the camera still enough but I wouldn't count on great pictures that way.

I'd suggest a DSLR. A Nikon D50 or Canon 350D are the leading entry models around these forums. If you want good optical magnification that's really the only way to go. However, it does get expensive(body + lenses). Both have fully automatic settings, but you really won't be getting the full use out of it in those settings.

As for shooting in low light, you're either looking at some kind of night-vision lens or a tripod and a slow shutter. Depending on how low the light is and the necessary shutter speed, you might be able to hold the camera still enough but I wouldn't count on great pictures that way.

jessops had the D50 + 18-55mm Nikon lens + 70-300mm sigma lens for ?510 was wandering if that was a good deal or not.

http://www.jessops.co.uk/Store/s34867/0/Di...eindex=1&comp=y

I would agree with that but depends how good he is on a camera. If he is pretty advanced, go for a Nikon D50 with a tele lens

The link above: http://www.jessops.co.uk/Store/s34867/0/Di...eindex=1&comp=y

Seems like a great deal, i have just purchased that lens but higher version (APO)

Same link i posted in the previous post :laugh:

Could have sworn that said 24hour availablity earlier today when i was browsing.

Can't remember when he said he was going so if it turned out to be more than 2weeks it could be problematic.

wander if the local branch would match the web price (and if they've got any)

i did suggest he go into a camera shop and although not neccecerily buy from there (depending of if its cheaper online) but see if he could have a go with some of the cameras there to see if he can find one he likes.

Same link i posted in the previous post :laugh:

Could have sworn that said 24hour availablity earlier today when i was browsing.

Can't remember when he said he was going so if it turned out to be more than 2weeks it could be problematic.

wander if the local branch would match the web price (and if they've got any)

i did suggest he go into a camera shop and although not neccecerily buy from there (depending of if its cheaper online) but see if he could have a go with some of the cameras there to see if he can find one he likes.

that is what I'd buy. Have a look however if you can change the sigma 70-300mm to a Sigma 70-300 APO :)

It really worth the price difference :yes:

that is what I'd buy. Have a look however if you can change the sigma 70-300mm to a Sigma 70-300 APO :)

It really worth the price difference :yes:

As you know i got the APO version, is it really worth the price difference, what is the main benefit over the standard version?

As you know i got the APO version, is it really worth the price difference, what is the main benefit over the standard version?

Better glass quality, sharper image

I think the APO has 3 SLD (Special low dispersion) glass and the no-apo has only 1 (not 100% sure about this)

To see the difference between the 2, the apo version has a red line on it. And make sure you get the DG macro

the macro II is an older model.

On the box, this is named: 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

One of the best places for information is DP Review

They have just about any camera listed, and user forums. Best place to find out what

works. Tons of info.

:alien:

Better glass quality, sharper image

I think the APO has 3 SLD (Special low dispersion) glass and the no-apo has only 1 (not 100% sure about this)

To see the difference between the 2, the apo version has a red line on it. And make sure you get the DG macro

the macro II is an older model.

On the box, this is named: 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

The Macro II is in that gold box right? the new one is in the black box, i got this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting