There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Need help picking a digital camera

Well first off i never owned a digital camera before so i have no preferences and know not all that much about them.

I know most of the lingo(don't need to dumb it down to much), types of memory e.t.c just not specifics. So i'm looking for a digi camera for less than ?300. I need it to have expandable memory(any type will do), reasonable optical zoom, flash, compact-ish in size, decent battery life (will be used for holidays and such long days out), not to flimsy, needs to be able to point and shoot as well for other noob family members, 6-7+ megapixels, LCD/OLED back screen, decent macro settings.

It will be used for holidays, family stuff and taking pictures for work occasionally but only reference shots nothing hardcore. So i'm not bothered about anything too fancy but i don't really know where to start

thanks, spyker

5meg pix is loads, u end up downsizing anyway... i love that the camera is fast.

The standard sd card is only 16mb which is useless....i got a 1 gig card for it, down size the pgotos and u got good quality pics and can save 1000's at any one time!

Takes good video clips too.

The path of the neowin is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly neowin's keeper and the finder of lost children. And i will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy neowin. And you will know i am the lord when i lay my vengeance upon you

Great sig!! :laugh:

Is that from the pulp fiction or cypress hill Album...?

I have a Nikon Coolpix 7600, it's a fantastic little camera. Easy enouh to use that my mom didn't need to me teach her anything the first time she used it, my friend bought one after I stayed at his place on vacation (he saw the pictures that I was taking and loved how good they were). The battery life is fantastic, it takes standard AA batteries (I recommend getting good nimh batteries though). It DEFINITELY needs a fast SD card. I have the Sandisk Ultra 2 which I use with it and it loves the combo.

I almost bought the exilim, but when I saw the pics on the computer and compared it to the 7600 I could see vast differences in colors. Not bad differences, just didn't look quite right, IMHO.

Another one of my friends has the A620 and quite franctly, it's annoying how long it takes to take a shot after pushing the button.

Great sig!! :laugh:

Is that from the pulp fiction or cypress hill Album...?

pulp fiction baby.

Yeah the Exlim seems like a good choice for me and the family a nice all rounder. I might post up a small review of it i dont know we shall see thanks for all the help im sure it will be a decent camera.

Canon Powershot S3

Rather bulky for what Spyker needs, don't you think? It's a nice camera, but it can be confusing for someone expecting a "compact-ish" P&S.

It seemed ok but mzhao is kind of right, i mean i could deal with that size but its not something that i could just put in my sac and get it out when i need. My exlim should be coming tomorrow ebuyer had it ready from the 19th, ships the 21st and arrives here on the 22nd. I only live 30 mins from the wearhouse but I'm sure they wouldn't let me pick it up anyway.

The canon A530 or A540 is the best camera for you. Under $200, takes great pictures, uses AA's (so you can buy inexpensive rechargables), has better battery life than my casio exilim, it is more durable than the casio exilim, better designed than the casio exilim and easy to use!

Personally I'd buy a Canon, every Canon I've ever had from my trusy APS Ixus, to the digital A80, and 350D, have performed flawlessly.

However if you want a really cool bit of kit try the Panasonic Lumix FZ5

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001055.php

It's "killer app" is built in image stabilisation, (IS) a very small body, and at around 230 quid it's a third of the price of similarly equipped SLR.

http://digitalcameras.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs...1/12035545.html

You can find an in-depth review here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/

But failing that, if all you want is point and shoot, I can recommend the Canon A80, it's a completely fabulous point and shoot camera, with just enough gadgets to click off some decent timed night shots, etc. The only thing it cant do is landscapes at night, as it's outfocus is weak, and at extensive zoom, it wobbles to much, (which is why you need IS) but it's really good camera otherwise.

tends to be best to read the thread first then post, as i have stated that i have purchased one. I thank u for the recommendations but its to late.