• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Is Apple Stable more than windows?

wctaiwan    5

As a Mac onwer since the evening of the Friday last week, a Mac user at school since August last year and till the second of June and a Windows user till the afternoon of the Friday last week (with occasional uses after that still) :p, I'd say that both work pretty well for me. I've had to unplug the eMacs we had at school a few times, but I've not had to do this to my MacBook yet - force quit has always worked so far. With Windows, I've not gone any further than ending the process in Task Manager either. So in short, I've rarely had system-wide freezes on either platform. In my opinion, it's really the user that matters (for example, my grandparents' computer (a PC) is horribly unstable and slow, even though it has specs as good as my old PC), if you know how to handle your machine, anything will work well. :)

wctaiwan

EDIT: When I mention Mac, I mean Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, and when I mention Windows, I mean Windows XP. I wasn't that much into computers before Windows XP came out and Mac OS 9, which my school had before August last year, is a completely different story (for me at least).

Edited by wctaiwan

kenetik    3

I crashed XP a lot..

Just switched to OS X and I have not crashed the OS yet, but I have crashed some software, while the programs I crashed are both beta software.. So I would say OS X is more stable than XP yes.

Vice    1,593

Question: is Apple more Stable than windows?

Answer: Do bears **** in the woods?

acies    0
Once Linux and Macintosh are used by the masses, they'll crash as much as Windows. Windows now adays only crashes due to the stupidity of the user who goes into websites full of spyware and says YES! to the free screensavers, etc.

no this is untrue. I have learnt tons of stuff about computers over the past 2 years, only because i have HAD to fix my windows install, over and over again. And i still get errors nowadays and i have no clue what they mean. Windows is a great OS but it never seems to like the user unless you have taken 5 years of computer sceince.

Also, since there is a LARGE variety of hardware for Windows, Microsoft can't control ALL the drivers and try them out themselves.

I hate it when people try to compare a product used by millions and one used by thousands (Well maybe more but you ge the point)

Although i do agree with what your saying here. And Apple do have a huge advantage over hardware drivers and stuff.

NEVER85    248

I've only tinkered with Linux and I've never used OSX, but I don't think there's a definitive answer to this question. It's like half the people that use Windows have problems with it, the other half do not.

myNando    9

My computer with Windows XP has gotten reeeeeally slow during this past year. My computer with OS X is still pretty fast even after installing a lot of apps & stuff.

Kartel    0

In the Windows98-and-before era, Windows was certainly less stable than probably anything else. But as of 2000-present, I'd say all modern OSs are pretty close to the same stability for the most part. Drivers are always an issue with Windows and Linux though. Such a broad range of hardware can be nice, but it can also be a burden when it comes to support. Though a Mac might seem more "limited" with its much more narrow hardware range, it's also advantageous because the standardization makes support orders of magnitude easier. When it comes to hardware, there should be no question that Apple has the best potential stability. As for the software/OS, I think they're all pretty close these days for general stability. Windows sucks with memory management compared to the others though, and the registry itself a unnesessary bloated mess. Things like this don't exactly help Windows much for long uptime performance.

Randolph    18

:rolleyes:

5Horizons    1

Looking at the stability of the OS, I really can't complain about either one. Never had a kernel panic on my Mac, and never had a blue screen of death on my Windows-based laptop.

I have noticed that there is some software that can bring Windows to a screeching halt and that soft of thing doesn't seem to happen very often on OS X.

Windows sucks with memory management compared to the others though

Link?

...and the registry itself a unnesessary bloated mess. Things like this don't exactly help Windows much for long uptime performance.

What does the registry have to do with uptime?

Edited by mx3

yudi_lks    1

You do not need a link to see how poor the Windows' memory management is.. Just use your windows for several days, and you'll never get the memory level back to its freshly-boot level... And eventually you need to restart windows...

And my Lenovo laptop also experience the same thing as well.. After we put Windows to standby mode, waking up, standby again for several times, it eventually encounters an error and need to be restarted to refresh whatever went wrong during the process...

MrKuro    0

The system is only as stable as the user operating it . . I have had next to no issues on any of my Windows/linux/Osx systems.

Achal    0

when i had windows 98, id be reformatting every month or two, and i switched to xp is 2002, formatted every 6 months ish or so, and ive had this install for a year and 6 months, has not slowed down one bit, never crashed, and runs very nice, in the 4 years or so of me using xp, it has only crashed on my once, so i would say windows is reliable, as for Mac's, i use them at university, and they are also very stable, so i would say that they are both around the same level, but many users who use Mac's more frequently, might think otherwise.

gigapixels    99

From my experience, yes.

One thing I love about Mac OS X is that if a program freezes up, it NEVER (at least during my usage, don't know if this is completely true for everyone) freezes up the operating system. I am always able to Force Quit the program without having to restart the system.

In any case, I've rarely ever had a program freeze up.

+Leddy    2

My uptime at the moment is about 230 hours. My pagefile 230 hours ago was 419MB. My pagefile now is 432MB. Where's the poor memory management?

Brian M.    778

w00t - welcome to fanboyism - this thread's an appetite for disaster :p

Aahz    0

The system is only as stable as the user operating it . . I have had next to no issues on any of my Windows/linux/Osx systems.

Exactly. I know middle-aged women who can find kitten-themed software of all kinds so crawling with nasties they'll bring each and every OS to its knees :p

qinwarrior    0

I don't get it. Why do people ask the same stupid question over and over again? If you want to know whether or not it is stable, go out and try yourself.

Krome    204

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Is Apple more stable than PC?" or "Is OS X more stable than Windows?"

I've seen this topic on Neowin over and over again. It seems that this topic/issue never gets resolved between Mac users and PC users. Many people has so many good valid points that should be a "sticky" to Mac v. PC :p

5Horizons    1

My uptime at the moment is about 230 hours. My pagefile 230 hours ago was 419MB. My pagefile now is 432MB. Where's the poor memory management?

I think my longest uptime on a Windows box was 88 days, on my computer at work. Used for VS.NET development, internet, music, and all kinds of random stuff. Never had any problems... And the reason I asked for a link on the memory management thing is because I want to read some actual technical data about Windows memory management instead of some guy on an internet forum posting based on his "experiences." I mean, in my experience, my Mac has attracted a ton of hot hookers to my house, but I've heard this doesn't happen to everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mac fanboy, but I didn't pick my platform of choice based on stability. With modern OSes it's a non-issue.

Virtunate    0

My friend and I disscuss this a lot and we agree that both OS's (Windows XP, Mac OS X 10.4) are good operating system's, however it depends on what you do. For example if you are a in coperate enviroment, Windows is better for things like spreadsheets, word documents, powerpoints and other things. Mac OSX is better for things like Music, Video, Pictures and Digital lifestyle stuff. Like I said, it depends on what you do.

Asharae    105

I completely agree, it depends what you use it for.

So there can really be no question about what is better, because they each have different advantages.

Chad    0

Windows needs a lot more attention out of the box than OS X. That's enough for me.

Quick Shot    44

TImes my apple crashed-------0

yes it is more stable.

MasterC    10

Windows needs a lot more attention out of the box than OS X. That's enough for me.

I agree with you there- it takes like 20-30 minutes to set up my XP box every time I have to reinstall. But, with my Mac, it took about 3-4 minutes to get set up and into OS X. (Y)

stadsport    0

I don't get it. Why do people ask the same stupid question over and over again? If you want to know whether or not it is stable, go out and try yourself.

That would require going out and purchasing a system with OS X (or Windows, if they have a Mac already). Some people like to get some information before making such a purchase.

A better reply, for example, would have been to reccomend some review/comparison sites, or atleast a "search for it" troll.