• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Is Apple Stable more than windows?

illicit    0

The system is only as stable as the user operating it . . I have had next to no issues on any of my Windows/linux/Osx systems.

I agree with you there.

hotdog666al    31

I find the Mac OS platform more stable.

Lasker    0

Well I'm a pc user but when I was using an old mac that I have, I feel more stable than my Core Duo 2 PC

1Frothy    0

I love the performance and stability of OSX!

Yeah, I'd say what you said +1 ;)

For instance I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.9 (so quite a recent OS) on what can be probably described as an ancient Mac, it's a G4, 400MHz with 1GB RAM. You know what? It looks better than Vista and works very very well even on old hardware.

I'm happy!

BigCheese    9

To be honest, I think Windows is more stable than OS X. We have a few macs at school and one crashed when just trying to load Photoshop.

In my experience, Windows XP crashing is a rare occasion, unless you bought a Dell and haven't formatted it, then you'll have all sorts of problems.

Edited by BigCheese

y2kboy23    2

I would have to say that windows is reliable. The thing that causes them to be unstable and BSOD are drivers. This is why Macs seem more stable as they know what hardware they are supporting so they don't have a jungle of drivers. Windows just needs to have better driver validation which is going to be included in Vista when it comes out.

AJerman    761
The system is only as stable as the user operating it . . I have had next to no issues on any of my Windows/linux/Osx systems.

What he said. My Windows boxes... well, basically never crash. I'm sure it's happened every once in a while, but it's very very rare, like maybe once every few months I'll have a crash. They run fast, smooth, and clean, and that's becuase I don't load them up with junk and clean things up on my computer just like I would around my house. It's amazing how "dirty" some people's computers are, and I'm not talking about inside the case. 95% of the time the people who have the most problems with computers are people with about 100 icons on the desktop to everything you can imagine, a ton of random programs installed like party poker, and about 5 extra toolbars in IE. It really just depends on how you treat your computer.

Taking that into consideration, Apple has, in the past, made it harder for people to make a mess of their computer, therefore making them more stable for the general "stupid" computer user (for lack of a better word). Vista however will do a lot to prevent people from making a mess from making it harder to install every application you find on the internet, to having Windows Defender built in to warn you when something is going to take over, to just not allowing people to write files anywhere but their user folder.

So my answer would be, for the typical mom and dad type computer user, Apple would be more stable, yes. For someone who knows what they're doing on a computer and keeps it running smooth, the difference is negligable.

Neil    3

Well I use both and I would say they are both stable as each other, however I would say that Mac is more stable, My Windows XP PC has crashed about 3 times in 4 years, which I would say is pretty good, however I have never crashed my Mac.

Vice    1,593

I use both. I would say Mac OS X is allot more stable. Applications I use on OS X tend to crash-less or lockup. Kernel Panics never had one on my MacBook Pro.. Had one a few days ago on my Windows machine from SLI I guess that's a Driver conflict but that is part of the "Windows Life" and wouldn't happen on OS X due to the Hardware-Software lock that Apple has.

I find Windows gets bogged down rather quickly too, few days and Games get very low FPS becomes hard to use it for anything intensive. I don't have this issue with OS X after a few days it feels just like when I first booted it up.

+shift.    21

From my limited experience using my high school's eMac's. I would have to say that OS X is far more stable than Windows. It is very easy to run a computer 24/7 on a Mac, compared to a PC.

blade1269    86

Hey,

how is apple's hardware diffent from anyother you can buy on the market, from samsung, ati or so on. its all the same parts, microsoft uses the same thing.

John S.    359
Hey,

how is apple's hardware diffent from anyother you can buy on the market, from samsung, ati or so on. its all the same parts, microsoft uses the same thing.

Microsoft doesn't build pc's...they make the OS that needs to run on a million different configurations of other people's hardware. Apple builds one type of machine to run their OS on...they have a distinct advantage over MS in that respect.

blade1269    86

Hey,

so its just drivers then right.

yudi_lks    1

Most of the time yes.. But strangely my explorer often becomes error.. I could not open certain program, the explorer window looks funny and stuff.. But if I kill explorer and launch it again, my computer come back to normal again.. So I think this is a problem with Windows then..

C_Guy    8

In my own experience, my iMac at work has crashed far more times than my Windows XP machine and I blame it on the software, not the hardware.

As was previously stated, neither are invincible (despite Apple's claims in its ads) and both recover from crashes really well. Macs bounce back from a crash very easily but don't usually give you much information to fix or prevent the problem. Crashes can be harder to recover from on Windows but if you use Error Reporting, Microsoft can analyze your crash and offer a solution if it knows of one (a very useful feature).

You can't really say that one is mroe crash-resistant than the other, it really depends on your configuration, usage, and maintenence.

C_Guy    8

Don't be fooled by the simplicity of the OS X UI. Once you dwelve into the command line you'll find the power of unix lurking just beneath the surface. Windows feels opaque and GUI-dependent by comparison.

Yeah, umm, how? If you know how to use the Command Prompt and Registry editor in Windows, you can have just as much power as using Terminal in Mac. Both have command lines, both have GUI's.

jimbo11883    1

Instability stems from the combination of parts used to build the computer, the drivers that are installed on the OS, and the software running, as well as bugs in the OS and software themselves.

Obviously, due to Apple selling only their own hardware designs, along with certified upgrade options (RAM, video cards, and possibly hard disks) and providing the OS to run on the hardware, makes it a more stable computing platform.

If Microsoft wrote Windows to only run on a "Microsoft PC" and wrote all of the drivers to go with it, would it be as stable as an Apple PC? Maybe. But you can't compare apples to oranges...

the evn show    138

Yeah, umm, how? If you know how to use the Command Prompt and Registry editor in Windows, you can have just as much power as using Terminal in Mac. Both have command lines, both have GUI's.

Command line applications in OSX are much more feature rich than what ships with Windows and there are a greater variety of tools exposed in OS X that can be used and combine to make painful tasks trivial. The redirection and piping capabilities of a typicaly UNIX-like operating system along with the variety of scripting options make it possible to do much more complicated tasks on with much less effort than is possible on Windows.

An example pulled loosely from previous life as a network admin:

You've been handed a CD that contains that were recovered from a corrupted hard drive. The file names were lost and so the CD contains thousands of files named sequentially (0000001.rcr, 0000002.rcr, 0000003.rcr...). You've been asked to find the Excel spreadsheet that contained the calculations for last years Q4 10-Q filling and mail it to your boss.

On a UNIX-like operating system this would be a matter of piping the out put of ls or find though file and then searching the output of that with grep for the Excel file type description, then passing the excel files that are found through strings and searching for the title of the 10-Q filing (or some other known string). Once you've found the correct file you can send it off . It's a bit unwieldily to do it all on a single ~200 character command, but you could do it you wanted to on OS X, Gentoo Linux, FreeBSD, etc. If you did it in several steps you could still get the job done in about 5 commands.

To the best of my knowledge Windows XP professional doesn't ship with the programs nessecary to perform this sort of work.

sevastopol    0

i would say apple is more reliable just because there are less viruses for it

Zelpus    0

I've always been a PC user and at my last job I developed on a mac. All I can say is that I can crash a mac a whole lot easier than a PC.

Pc_Madness    3

I've always been a PC user and at my last job I developed on a mac. All I can say is that I can crash a mac a whole lot easier than a PC.

Yeah, its quite easy to crash a Mac (I've used a PPC verison, dunno how well it runs on x86)

the evn show    138

Yeah, its quite easy to crash a Mac (I've used a PPC verison, dunno how well it runs on x86)

Details please? If it's quite easy to crash OS X can you tell me how to do it because I'd like to file a bug report.

oldaccount1    3

Btw, comparing "Apple" to "Windows" is like comparing "Toyota" to "Civic".

Southern Patriot    941

Well, if you have always been a PC user, and you try developing on a Mac with the techniques you used on the PC, I can see how you might crash it.