There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Canon 350D Kit Question

Hi guys, so after a couple of weeks trying out both the 350D and the D50, I've finally decided on getting 350D as it was love at first sight... :blush:

Now my question.

I have the option of getting the 350D with the standard 18-55mm lens

or

getting the twin lens kit that comes with a 70-300mm aswell ...

The price difference between the two kits are $200AUD ...

Primarily, I'll be using the camera for general photo taking and also macro shots. Outdoor/Landscape shots is also something I would very much like to get into. I'm not looking to get the top of the line gear, but want lens that would give me the best of value without breaking the bank.

So which lens kit should I go for ?

Note: I've read several topics on the 350D that have suggested getting the body only and purchasing a third party lens e.g. Sigma Lens, but thats unfortunately not really an option for me, as I'll be getting it from work, which hopefully means I'll be getting a pretty reasonable discount.. :yes:

List the full name of the 70-300mm lense. If it is the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, get it (but I'd be willing to bet that it isn't).

I'd stick with the Canon kit lense; it's an all-around decent lense.

But if I had to do it all over again, I would have got the body only then purchased a better lense such as the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Neither!

They're both terrible. I guess if you don't have a choice, get the standard kit and buy a decent third party lens.

Canon's entry-level zoom lenses are terrible. Optionally, consider some Canon primes (35mm, 50mm, 85mm).

List the full name of the 70-300mm lense. If it is the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, get it (but I'd be willing to bet that it isn't).

I'd stick with the Canon kit lense; it's an all-around decent lense.

But if I had to do it all over again, I would have got the body only then purchased a better lense such as the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

I checked the box of the extra lens you get with the twin lens kit and it says EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III ... Not sure if that is the one you are talking about.. Also its a Canon lens if that helps..

Neither!

They're both terrible. I guess if you don't have a choice, get the standard kit and buy a decent third party lens.

Canon's entry-level zoom lenses are terrible. Optionally, consider some Canon primes (35mm, 50mm, 85mm).

It will be a hobby camera more then anything else, so are they terrible when compared to say other camera of the same class or just terrible in general. ??

Anyone else have any advice ??

Unfortunatly, the Canon's kit lens isn't aa good as the Nikon D50's kit one. But for starting, I would keep this lens. Remember that a 18-55mm lens is equivalent to a 3x zoom.

The Canon 75-300mm lens is the entry one and their cheapest ($$) also. Just compare the price and that is what I would get if I were you.

If you really need the 75-300mm then buy it, otherwise, wait

The price difference between kits as I said before is about $200 dollars...

After reading up on other threads, I've seen the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO lens being recommended. Would this be a better replacement for the Canon 75-300mm included in the twins lens kit ? I've checked eBay and they have it listed for around $275 including shipping. ..

Also hypothetically speaking I got just the 350D body, what would be a good 18-55mm lens ... Around the same price for the Sigma Lens..?

The Nikon 18-70mm... one of the main reasons I chose the D70 over the 350D.

The Tamron 28-75mm is excellent, but 28mm*1.6 crop will be very limiting. The Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 is probably your best choice, but it's a bit above $275.

I would stay away from the entry-level superzooms if I were you. Canon's 70-200mm F4/L is one of the main reasons people choose the 350D over the D70. It's ~$500, but definitely worth saving up for. You won't find any good tele lenses until you jump up to Canon's 70-200mm or Nikon's 80-200mm (although the 18-200mm VR Nikkor is changing the trend).

Sigma 70-300 APO over the canon one, yes. But it has to be the apo version

Another options would be to get body only and buy the Tamron 18-200 or Sigma 18-200. Between the 2, my choice is the Tamron. Just read reviews and you will notice more good revews and user reviews with the Tamron compared to the Sigma.

I own the Tamron 18-200 and darn I love it. I bought it because I couldnt affort the Nikkor 18-200 VR2 which is around 1000CAD$ and I bought the Tamron for 400CAD$.

Yeah yeah, the Nikkor is better but for easily doubled price

The kit lens - 18-55 is equivalent to 3x zoom and the 18-200mm will be near 12x

It's true that the Nikkor 18-200 VR is unbeatable but also good luck to find it and the price is such high!

Anyway, many users are saying at 18mm, the lens is bad. They would have liked a better quality for the price.

Personally, I own the Tamron 18-200mm and I find the quality to be very good

So buy both the Tamron 18-200mm and the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO ...

This will cover me for general purpose/macro/landscape and ok zooms right ?

Its considerably more then I would like to spend so I might get the 18-55mm kit and Sigma lens, then purchase the Tamron later on..

Thanks for all your help guys..

Pink Floyd and Monkeh thanks for your insight...

Why don't you just get the body, and then buy a all in one type lens, a 28 - 300mm for instance.

You don't seem to be needing anything of professional quality, so theres no point spending professional amounts of money.

Sigma 28-300mm DG Macro

With this you'll be able to do landscapes (wide angle), zoom shots, macro, the works. All in one lens.

It's not expensive, it wont be the best lens ever made, but it will probably be better for you than two similar lenses.

Chast, if you buy a 18-200, then you dont need the 70-300mm. Anyway, most ppl using one of the 18-300 don't have the 70-300 because they dont shoot over 200mm. It's a personnal choice and it depend on what you prefer to shoot.

The advantage on the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG macro is that you can set a button on to do macro. The lens will block between 200 and 300mm and you will be able to shoot macro. This is not a real macro 1:1 lens but it does the job

Well its decided then..

I'll be getting the 18-55mm kit and the Sigma Lens..Wow, so excited..

Thanks again for your help Pink Floyd, you really know your stuff..