Fonts: Segoe UI vs. Calibri

Segoe UI & Calibri  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would be used in Vista & Office interface?

• Segoe UI
    • Calibri
    • Other (?)
  2. 2. Which one do you prefer (you think is nicer looking/more professional/font size nicer etc.)

• Segoe UI
    • Calibri

So Vista was supposed to use Segoe UI. But later (and also with Office 2007) came Calibri.

Will Office & Vista use Segoe UI or Calibri as interface fonts?

And..which one do you prefer? (nicer-looking)

I really can't decide..

Maybe it would be better if you post some screens. I don't really know how Calibri looks...

I wasn't even aware of the Calibri font until this thread.

And as for Tahoma it's a good font and it was an improvement compared to Ms Sans Serif. However it's been out since Windows 98 and has become outdated. It's also slightly too thin when being used in e-mails.

Edited by kizzaaa

Don't post links to the fonts nor post images of you using these fonts on non-Windows systems (both obvious)!

How come? posting images of a font does not neglect the forum rules. :rolleyes:

How come? posting images of a font does not neglect the forum rules. :rolleyes:

Yes, they do. Don't post potentially illegal situations as of big companies' guidelines or license agreements, such as this one.

You can't use those fonts on... say... MacOS.

if some omne posts a screenshot of like lets say Mac OS. how do you know they dont have eirther:

microsoft office 2004 for mac.

or a Mac OS skin for windows? < they do make them, i used one before >

Who made you mod? :\

Harsh and straight comments don't make people mods-wannabes.

Just harsh and straight who seriously dislikes snakes in the plane.

You can install Vista/Office 2007 fonts on a previous Office suite in a non-Windows system...? Really? If it's so... my apologies, I'm not fluent in legalese.

if some omne posts a screenshot of like lets say Mac OS. how do you know they dont have eirther:

These fonts don't come with office 2004, they come with vista/office 2007.

Harsh and straight comments don't make people mods-wannabes.

Just harsh and straight who seriously dislikes snakes in the plane.

You can install Vista/Office 2007 fonts on a previous Office suite in a non-Windows system...? Really? If it's so... my apologies, I'm not fluent in legalese.

I never really thought a font in a screenshot could classify as a "snake in the plane", and those are not harsh and straight comments. They could be classified as ignorant and narrow minded. You are in no position to counsel members about their posts.

:yes:

Sigh... Posted directly from what would be my PM reply:

I wouldn’t call it harsh and straight minded. I’d call it ignorant and narrow minded. It doesn’t break any of the rules. A font isn’t a form of “warez”, and besides it’s just a picture?

My point was that you’re in no position to be counselling members about their posts. Let the staff do their job, and rather than annoy everyone with your impolite posts just report it quietly.

It does breaks the rules. It is quite implicit that you can't post items like those there and a font or virtually anything else you get from Vista and Office 2007 suites are copyrighted material and are subject on their respective license agreements, which means that you can't distribute the fonts, can't install these fonts on non-windows systems and can't install in not-approved windows systems (illegal OSes, windows with no Office2007, windows with warez office2007); and this type of events happened before on Neowin. Please, don't mess with Microsoft nor instigate illegal procedures.

My impolite posts oddly enough, don't get usually fixed by mods, but they do usually correct me or hush me. You removed your download link for Calibri, which was cool and ****ing decent.

But to me, and snooping at Microsoft's conditions, that kind of imagery leads to potentially unwinnable situations. Either by a nasty email or spiffy mod rage.

If the mods don't think Microsoft can act or it's not relevant, it's they're call. But I'm entitled, as a member, to warn about, as Samuel L. Jackson well spoke, "these mother****ing snakes on this mother****ing plane". Have you ever got a snake in a plane? Unless you kill it, it could bring panic, deaths and take the plane down! But if it is a numb pet-snake, sealed and confined in the cargo-area... it's okay (until it breaks loose!).

My position to counsel member is advise members is lame: I'm sitted in a good chair. While it has no ergonomic support, it provides decent amount of confort and stability. Plus, I had to attend a lecture by a Microsoft guy with a stupid gadget about proprietary licensing/piracy/Microsoft's legal mojo. It was basicly scare-tactics to not pirate or go against that their will. Quite scary, IMO.

(To sum it up: I don't know if Scientology could act on Neowin, but Microsoft surelly can get bitchy and act.)

And my inbox used space is now at 100%! I won't get more PM from people. (which is great).

Seriously dude, it's 4:30 in the morning. Don't make me stay awake.

Sigh... Posted directly from what would be my PM reply:

It does breaks the rules. It is quite implicit that you can't post items like those there and a font or virtually anything else you get from Vista and Office 2007 suites are copyrighted material and are subject on their respective license agreements, which means that you can't distribute the fonts, can't install these fonts on non-windows systems and can't install in not-approved windows systems (illegal OSes, windows with no Office2007, windows with warez office2007); and this type of events happened before on Neowin. Please, don't mess with Microsoft nor instigate illegal procedures.

My impolite posts oddly enough, don't get usually fixed by mods, but they do usually correct me or hush me. You removed your download link for Calibri, which was cool and ****ing decent.

But to me, and snooping at Microsoft's conditions, that kind of imagery leads to potentially unwinnable situations. Either by a nasty email or spiffy mod rage.

If the mods don't think Microsoft can act or it's not relevant, it's they're call. But I'm entitled, as a member, to warn about, as Samuel L. Jackson well spoke, "these mother****ing snakes on this mother****ing plane". Have you ever got a snake in a plane? Unless you kill it, it could bring panic, deaths and take the plane down! But if it is a numb pet-snake, sealed and confined in the cargo-area... it's okay (until it breaks loose!).

My position to counsel member is advise members is lame: I'm sitted in a good chair. While it has no ergonomic support, it provides decent amount of confort and stability. Plus, I had to attend a lecture by a Microsoft guy with a stupid gadget about proprietary licensing/piracy/Microsoft's legal mojo. It was basicly scare-tactics to not pirate or go against that their will. Quite scary, IMO.

(To sum it up: I don't know if Scientology could act on Neowin, but Microsoft surelly can get bitchy and act.)

And my inbox used space is now at 100%! I won't get more PM from people. (which is great).

Seriously dude, it's 4:30 in the morning. Don't make me stay awake.

Dude. Calm down it's just a font :huh:

I'm... calm? Almost sleeping, actually.

I don't see things as just fonts or visual styles, I see it as a possibly angry company with mean emails targetted at well... us?

And I would choose Segoe or Segoe UI or Frutiger or whatever that elephant's called these days.

Edited by tiagosilva29