Girl, 14, sues MySpace over sexual assault

She should be slapped till her head is fixed.

I'm pretty sure she was trying to slap and "fix" another type of head before she found out who it was :pinch:

I never cease to be amazed at the number of creative way there are to make money in the USA. Do they teach it in the schools?

I never cease to be amazed at the number of creative way there are to make money in the USA. Do they teach it in the schools?

Sometimes I wonder the same thing.

Actually they are all the same way. The only difference is who's actually being sued.

People, this is America. You can sue anybody at any time for anything. This girl (actually, her slimbag lawyer) knows MySpace is owned by Google, a multi-billion dollar company. He's suing big so he can make a living. It's got nothing to do with what is right or wrong, justice or injustice, or anything else. Trial lawyers in the US make their money by suing companies with lots of capital. Not only will this girl win, but others will follow suit in quick order. It's the way of life in America. Big companies are always sued. McDonalds lost a lawsuit to a woman suing because they served her hot coffee.

The girl says a 19-year-old man lied in his profile about being a senior on a football team to gain her trust and phone number.

:rolleyes: "well if he had not lied about being on a football team I would have been ok with it, since I always give my number out to seniors who want to have sex" The supidity of some people.....

And that attorney is bigger loser for even taking the case :p

Edit best quote of the day!

MySpace doesn't have to protect it's members, it's members should remove the head from their ass and protect themselves.

Edited by Toastyone

agree, she is a dumbass

I bet her parents has to do something with this crap. omg sue myspace so we can be rich

u forgetting where this is happening, in USA, we have a court system that is crap

Agreed the girl was stupid as she didn't act with commonsense, but the US court system is not crap. She, as any other American, has the right to utilize the court system. If she won then i would agree with you that the system is crap, not just because she has a right to sue, after all the court system is the property of the people.

so basically.. if im a 14 year old boy (im not really) and i talk to someone who i believe is another 14 year old girl.. and they turn out to be a 38 year old male, who makes sexual advances on me, MySpace is responsible?

it wouldn't be my fault that i was stupid enough to be an underage user on MySpace and go meet this person?

maybe MySpace should have a 18+ rule?

Agreed the girl was stupid as she didn't act with commonsense, but the US court system is not crap. She, as any other American, has the right to utilize the court system. If she won then i would agree with you that the system is crap, not just because she has a right to sue, after all the court system is the property of the people.

Just because she has the "right" to sue doesn't mean she should.

Why should MySpace pay for her stupidity?

People, this is America. You can sue anybody at any time for anything. This girl (actually, her slimbag lawyer) knows MySpace is owned by Google, a multi-billion dollar company. He's suing big so he can make a living. It's got nothing to do with what is right or wrong, justice or injustice, or anything else. Trial lawyers in the US make their money by suing companies with lots of capital. Not only will this girl win, but others will follow suit in quick order. It's the way of life in America. Big companies are always sued. McDonalds lost a lawsuit to a woman suing because they served her hot coffee.

Yes a lot of lawyers prefer to sue to make their living of course, but that dosen't mean the system itself is broken. As anyone can anybody for anything of course, the court system is owned by the people! There is NOTHING wrong with anyone having the ability to sue anyone for anything. The real question is, Can you win? As the law has to agree with you.

The case you cited about McDonalds was not won simply because the old lady spilled coffee on herself. It was won because she was able to prove that McDonalds acted neglegently in the way they served their coffee. McDonalds serves their coffee so hot that she got second and third degree burns from the coffee spill!

I recommend you read the summary of the trail here before you jump hastily to conclusions about the court system being bad...

http://www.vanosteen.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm

Just because she has the "right" to sue doesn't mean she should.

Why should MySpace pay for her stupidity?

She can choose to excercise her rights whenever she wants, even if we think it is stupid to do so.

Who said MySpace has to pay for anything? The court hasn't ruled against them so she hasn't proven MySpace has done anything wrong.

if im a 14 year old boy (im not really)

Damn! :(

As I posted on /. .. I find it suspicious that the girl could get raped.. unless she was stupid (as in like.. mentally low IQ :p)... if your meeting a complete stranger off the street.. you'd goto a public place, where a rape can't exactly be done easily. So either she was just really stupid and met him at say his place... or.. its a case of agreeing to sex and then regretting it and trying to make some money out of it all...perhaps I'm just getting old and synical though. :(

I don't know about you guys in the states but a 19 year old "man" is a first year university student. Senior is assumed to be grade 12...so i don't see the big deal. Probably because we dont have statutory rape, but is it really worth ruining some 19 year old kids life because he tried to pick up someone 5 years younger than him? common...

I don't know about you guys in the states but a 19 year old "man" is a first year university student. Senior is assumed to be grade 12...so i don't see the big deal. Probably because we dont have statutory rape, but is it really worth ruining some 19 year old kids life because he tried to pick up someone 5 years younger than him? common...

In my state, Pennsylvania, that lil night of fun would get him 5 years in jail. That's the mandatory minimum sentence if they can prove he had sex with her, consentual or not.

something is for sure, no one will touch her for the rest of her life, she will also sue you because you pass close to her (10 meters).

Most of the ppl here are missing that the guy was arrested for this (!!). And real chidmoleters are outthere free with money.

Did she think he was 14?? cud she not look at a pic or see him and go aaaaa u dnt really look 14 :s

i wudnt be suprised if she planned it to get money out of My Space!

In my state, Pennsylvania, that lil night of fun would get him 5 years in jail. That's the mandatory minimum sentence if they can prove he had sex with her, consentual or not.

Really? In canada the age of consent is 14 correct me if i'm wrong, anyone except an authorative figure like a teacher can have sex with anyone as long as they are older than 14, as long as it is consentual. I dont see anything wrong with this case really, like sure he lied, but ... its not that big of a stretch. They both wanted it.