Lan Messenger

I have a network, and is looking for a lan messenger so I can send quick messages to each computer around the office. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 have the Messenger Service built in.

net send /? from the Command Prompt gives you the syntax useage if you need it.

Won't do you any good unless you enable the messenger (and notifier (or is it alerter)) service which were disabled by default in SP2

start > run > services.msc

change their startup to automatic

what you need is a bonjour enabled chat client, either you can use Gaim, miranda with bonjour plugin or a standalone bonjour im client which you can download it from http://xurble.org/projects/ , see Windows iChat stand alone click on it to download standalone bonjour client, you need to have this on all computers on network to chat

Wasn't that service turned of because of the potential of getting spam? if so I'm searching for an alternative.

Only machines directly connected to the public net would be in danger of getting messages using this method from the net.. If your machines are on a private lan - there should be no worry of this.

Yes it is quite possible the messenger service is off.. as all services that are not in use should be.. Would you run ftp service, if you were not running ftp? Would you run a http service if you were not hosting http? Oh wait - this is MS.. so yes, before everything was running out of the box..

But they have been getting better ;)

To use net send, your Messenger service needs to be running

Messenger

Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Depending on the type of messages you want to send to computers/users on your network.. this would be a better open then a chat type program.. If you just want to notify users when services/servers are on or off, etc. Nothing else need be installed on machines, etc.. and very easy to send messages to all computers at once or a single machine, etc.

"msg (IP or name of computer) (message)"

Um not quite

msg is for sending messages to terminal sessions.. ie terminal server users.

C:\>msg

Send a message to a user.

MSG {username | sessionname | sessionid | @filename | *}

[/sERVER:servername] [/TIME:seconds] [/V] [/W] [message]

username Identifies the specified username.

sessionname The name of the session.

sessionid The ID of the session.

@filename Identifies a file containing a list of usernames,

sessionnames, and sessionids to send the message to.

* Send message to all sessions on specified server.

/SERVER:servername server to contact (default is current).

/TIME:seconds Time delay to wait for receiver to acknowledge msg.

/V Display information about actions being performed.

/W Wait for response from user, useful with /V.

message Message to send. If none specified, prompts for it

or reads from stdin.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...g.mspx?mfr=true

/server:ServerName : Specifies the terminal server whose session or user you want to receive the message. If unspecified, /server uses the server to which you are currently logged on.

i've heard seting up a jabba server can do this pretty well, i wante d a similar thing not so long ago...never tried it but alot of people reccomended jabba

I know this sounds weird, but I just use MSN

If the network is attached to the internet then just sign all PCs into MSN Messenger; it's fine for chat etc...

and if you want to send files it uses LAN Bandwidth rather than sending over the internet. We only discovered that one day by chance :):)

Chris

:blink: You discovered by "chance" that users logged into MSN Messenger could chat with each other? Or send files to each other? ;)

:blink: You discovered by "chance" that users logged into MSN Messenger could chat with each other? Or send files to each other? ;)

I think he means it transfers directly to your chat partner instead of out to Microsoft's servers and then back in again.

I think he means it transfers directly to your chat partner instead of out to Microsoft's servers and then back in again.

Where would he have ever gotten that idea??

Messenger has always used direct connection between peers for file xfer.

Basically I'm looking for something simple, to instant message between all the computers in the office, but it has to be on the lan.

Basically I'm looking for something simple, to instant message between all the computers in the office, but it has to be on the lan.

do you want users to chat back with you?? Or do you just want to send out notices?

ie

Server Offline @5pm

Please log off Accounting System

Email is down

Billy is out of the office

etc.. etc..

If you want to just send notices to specific users, or all of them at once, etc.. then a simple net send is what your after.. If your looking for users to be able to create a running chat with you or each other, then you need something else.. As someone else already mentioned.. jabber would be a very good solution.. http://www.jabber.org/

Very easy to setup, FREE and Easy -- runs on almost anything, etc.. very expandable, gateways to other IMs, addons, etc.. etc.. if looking to put a IM on your network.. jabber would be worth looking at!

So your saying if I want to trasnfer files between me and my bro and we're on the same network via MSN, it would be direct and not through the Web? (I know its a silly way of doing it, but would be easier for us).

If your on the same lan.. why would you transfer any files using MSN?? Just use a common share, or share out what you want on your machine, or put it on his machines share, etc.

But yes.. file transfer between msn messenger clients is peer to peer.

$10 something a copy huh.. Why not just use Achat.. FREE

http://achat.sourceforge.net/

Does the same thing.. plus look like more features.. offline messages, show image, etc..

Your right BudMan Achat has a little more features, plus it's open source. Going to give that a whirl. THANKS!

Your right BudMan Achat has a little more features, plus it's open source. Going to give that a whirl. THANKS!

So did you try out jabber or not?? I would still suggest that as the way to go with putting IM on your network..

Multiple clients support it, there are multiple servers available.. quite a few free, some not - provide with FULL support, etc.. Runs on most anything, etc.. Grab the windows wildfire server and say the exodus client and within a few minutes you would have an IM system up and running.

Wow... I regret saying that :s :p

But yes.. thinking about it, any file transfer over 1mb reveals the users IP address so is a direct transfer. DUH :s:S

Thanks for that, but hope you find your LAN Messenger :)

Chris