[Neowin Linux] Distro updates

Hey everyone,

I have made some progress in how we would go about making our own Distribution. So far, I believe that using the Morphix Live CD as a base for our Distribution would be the best idea.

Why?

Because Morphix is a Debian-Based (Its based off knoppix) distribution. It has Options for Gnome, KDE and other window managers. Not to mention it is easy to use.

For developing reasons, Morphix would provide us a base to begin our distribution. This means that we could focus our efforts on building our theme, scripts and other things without having to worry about getting the basics set up. Morphix also comes as both a full Live-CD and a base system for developers.

Also, from the Morphix site:

Morphix GNU/Linux

the Morphix project is working on various ways for making and modifying the best Debian-based live CDs possible, and strives to be as easy as possible to modify for other live CD projects. Releases of new base-versions of the distribution are done regularly, and a number of official Morphix cd images are available (LightGUI, Gnome, KDE and Game). Led by fearless dictator alextreme, the Morphix crew toils endlessly to create purty stuff.

This quote was taken from the morphix site, and as you can see, they make it easy for people to create their own live CDs. There is also an Install to hard drive option.

I will be further taking a look at Morphix, and will discuss it with barneyt to decide if this should be the distribution to base Neowin Linux off of.

-bulio

I like that idea as well. I think we need to start with an achievable goal for our 0.1 release. I would like us to concentrate on themes and widgets that would offer Neowin integration.

That doesn't mean that we can't think grander for future releases but we will probably get more support if we start with something tangible.

Thanks Bulio and Fred. Once we get this framework up, let's place the "plan" on the wiki. I can do this. Also, we probably need to put all of these Linux CD developing threads in one place so they don't get scattered around the *nix forum.

Great job, guys!

Barney

One thing that might need to be planned for, is that the sources for the entire distro must be made available by us. Not just the stuff that gets modified. And it isn't ok to say that the sources are available from Morphix or whomever we base this off of.

news article link

It's cool you guys are doing this, but i think it's kinda funny that a site that was originally dedicated to windows (but now does many many things) is now trying to create its own linux distribution.

dont show much resemblence to neowin

as for Ne*nix why would you choose that im not sure if you know why people use *nix its not a version of linux or anything people use *nix when they are talking about collectivly all OS's based on the UNIX OS ie: unix, linux, BSD etc instead of saying u!nix! and li!nux! u say *nix see the flow.... and coz its based on linux i dont see why they would collectivly base the name on overall nix OS's

dont show much resemblence to neowin

as for Ne*nix why would you choose that im not sure if you know why people use *nix its not a version of linux or anything people use *nix when they are talking about collectivly all OS's based on the UNIX OS ie: unix, linux, BSD etc instead of saying u!nix! and li!nux! u say *nix see the flow.... and coz its based on linux i dont see why they would collectivly base the name on overall nix OS's

I see and agree to your point. I thought it was a neat name. It isn't like I spent hours thinking up the perfect names. :laugh:

yeah but its aimed at neowin users probably so its logical to aim the name at the users he could call it Bulio Live CD and people at neowin will be like "meh, just another live cd" which im usre he isnt looking to aim people towards his own personal preferences of live linux..

No offense but do any of you have any creativity? Get away from the *ix-ing names it doesn't really even have to have Neo in it.

I have none, I'd call it NeoNix lol

Where can I find out what you guys are up to with this, I'm a huge nix fan and am always looking for interesting takes of different distro's to add to my own hashed together gentoo system.

Back to the name, doesn't neo mean new or rebirth? if so maybe phoenix as a name? although Kreuger wouldnt be happy :laugh:

Not surprisingly someone else is using that idea http://linux.techass.com/ although he seems to have done nothing yet since 2000

yeah but its aimed at neowin users probably so its logical to aim the name at the users he could call it Bulio Live CD and people at neowin will be like "meh, just another live cd" which im usre he isnt looking to aim people towards his own personal preferences of live linux..

Well since it's developed by Neowin users, they should very well know and there's such thing as a description all you'd have to do is read. Look at Debian, Arch, Mepis, Fedora Core. They're all original names and everyone knows what they are..We should be able to come up with something too.

I think that the name is one of the least important things that need to be worked on at this point.

Even a strange name like "Ubuntu" can be popular as a distro.

NeoLin

I kind of like the sound of this.....

Barney

I kind of like the sound of this.....

I also think that we need to make sure that all of our "updates" are in one spot for those who want to help / follow along with this project.

Thanks,

Barney

Why not call it Shift then? A Neowin alternative to Windows, Shift your system today!

Thats also not a bad idea, I like that.