[Neowin Linux] Distro updates

rezza

First: What is the purpose of this distro? What will it offer that other distros don't? (Don't say anything about the look of the distro please, that is simply a theme, and it's not worth creating a whole distro based around a theme.)

Second: What about Nux for the name?

The Laughing Man

I for one hope it has superior wifi support, so far for me the lastest distro i tried was ubuntu6 which finally supported my wificard from the start, just makes it easier, and not to mention the large lack of ATI support in alot of distros.

Kreuger
Why not call it Shift then? A Neowin alternative to Windows, Shift your system today!

That's a lot better. I was hoping something that hasn't been used but that'd be hard. Anyway it ties nicely into Neowin

GeneralStorm

How about "Linux by Neowin"?

metallithrax

How about the name in the thread title?

Anyway, this would be of interest to me as I have tried a couple of distro's, (as barney knows), and haven't got the nvidia drivers to install. If it was set up to install automatically (like mentioned in another thread), it would be much easier. I managed to install other things, but never the drivers. I am currently Linux free as I SNAFU'd my hard drives the other week, and am just getting back on track.

Kreuger

They always install automatically for me, but they're just the basic drivers I guess. I take it you want their official drivers? Or maybe it's just because my card is old

metallithrax
They always install automatically for me, but they're just the basic drivers I guess. I take it you want their official drivers?

yeah, I followed instructions on a page given by barney, but they never worked.

simsie

is our distro gonna have XGL and other fancy stuff

Sensayshun

I realise the names not important and all, but I think it should be called WinLin. It'd be ironic, and it could be based around people wanting to move from windows to linux and hence you could keep as much of the stuff similar as possible. I.e. Have shortcuts to stuff on desktop and the like, plenty of dragging and dropping, as little terminal as possible.

Stephen

how about another subforum to keep all of this in?

Daylene

how about another subforum to keep all of this in?

I agree. Perhaps we could get one in the Neowin Software branding section?

Fred Derf

I agree. Perhaps we could get one in the Neowin Software branding section?

I can move the existing threads to Software Branding if that is a better place.

It would be up to the Admins to create a subforum. It's kind of a chicken and egg thing but generally the traffic needs to come first.

kinetix63

The main question I'd pose, is if there is any foundation to this project people wise as of yet. Is there a project leader, do we have developers, blah blah blah. Now it may be that this has been discussed previously but it'd be nice to know either way :)

Secondly, I think the main thing that needs to be worked on is some kind of manifesto. Even before the nitty gritty of what Neowin Linux is going to offer over everything else, the project needs some clearly defined goals to achieve. We can then work on ideas to achieve those goals, and work on implementing them.

Kreuger
Is there a project leader,
Yep, his name is Barneyt.
do we have developers
not yet, there's a thread looking for them
Secondly, I think the main thing that needs to be worked on is some kind of manifesto. Even before the nitty gritty of what Neowin Linux is going to offer over everything else, the project needs some clearly defined goals to achieve. We can then work on ideas to achieve those goals, and work on implementing them.
I've been advising Barney and suggested that we should setup a road map with our goals for all to see. I'm not sure what he's done yet
Simon

Wow, I really like shift. It'd be perfect. "Shift Linux: Shift your expectations".

Any chance we could get a subdomain? Like linux.neowin.net, or shift.neowin.net

Rob2687

Another vote here for the Shift idea.

Digitalx

on that note be sure to put WINE with it :)

PricklyPoo

We need to post some stuff about this new neowin distro in the graphics corner on the forums to get some designers that could make icons and stuff...

Digitalx

also include pre-installed like widgets engine like gDesklets or whatever it is and the XGL thing and all the fancy stuff for GNOME and KDE :)

Barney T.

I've been advising Barney and suggested that we should setup a road map with our goals for all to see. I'm not sure what he's done yet

I am planning on producing a road map..... We're still getting suggestions and mulling over how to best proceed. Rememebr that this project will take some time, and will need the help of people who really have the knowledge to put the ideas into practice.

Barney

samg

I posted this in the developers call topic.

"I cant help with the distro.

but isnt it a good idea to get a project name, then get a domain up and running with a forum there? Then you can have a section for projects and team members etc.

While also having adverts on the site that can bring some money to the team for future development?

I can help with that biggrin.gif

I have a reseller account with ASO, so i am more than willing to give you guys what you need.

"

MrA

I recommended making the file system hierarchy as gobo linux. http://www.gobolinux.org/

:yes: Yes. However, I say it should use Unionfs rather than symlinks to maintain the original linux filesystem structure.

Barney T.

Just an update.....

Today, I plan on putting together a rough roadmap (timeline) to create this distro. Once this is done and posted, please take a look and see if it looks "realistic". Again, suggestions are highly appreciated.

From our Blog:

I will shortly be posting a rough roadmap for our Neowin Linux project. The reasons for creating a roadmap have been outlined as:

* Acts as a communication vehicle? Our project plan informs all interested parties what we intend to create, while aligning all with the same goals, priorities and risks? and focusing our attention on the same set of tasks at every stage of the project.

* Acts as a unifier of our goals for each release and a means to evaluate our success.

* Acts as a means to recognize the value of each anticipated project feature and to determine when features are incorporated.

* Acts as the funnel to define the primary features and elements of each release.

* Acts as a tool for evaluating if our assumptions and game plans are correct or whether we should make alterations.

The primary goal of our road map is to chart a path to success. I fully that our journey may experience some bumps and change in direction. Yet, I feel confident that we will achieve our goals of the road map with frequent reflection of what we have learned along the way.

So, as I post this, please take the time to comment on changes as you see fit!

Thanks

Barney

Kreuger

Sounds good Barney