[Neowin Linux] Distro updates

Barney T.

Posted basic road map to new Neowin Linux Distribution (yet to be named):

Phase One- June - December 2006

* Establish the Neowin Linux Developing Team Community

* Deliver the essential community infrastructure: website, IRC channel, development blog, Wiki,

* Create a light, easily configured distro model with widgets, light WM like Flux, Dock, etc. Also included

are some useful scripts that could show what this distro could be capable of.

* Develop tool for submission of bugs to coders / testers

* Place distro on host server for download and testing

* Open beta testing of distro (Test 0.1).

Phase Two: (January - June 2007)

* Incorporate more advanced programs as well as Gnome as desktop. Work to increase selection of

desktop managers as well as desirable wigets. Produce scripts that will download and install drivers (like

Nvidia and ATI)

* Establish appropriate package delivery system and repositories (our own vs. what is available)

* Continue beta testing and development of Test 0.1.

Phase Three: (June 2007 - December 2007)

* Gear up for the release of both full scale x86 and 64-bit Live CD (installable). Release to be scheduled

for end of 2007.

Road map to be modified at the end of each completed phase, or as needed by the project managers.

Barney

mitch00

this is summer 2k6 =/, and the topic title says Disto lol

kinetix63

The only thing I disagree with Barney is the length of time it would take to even deliver a stable test version of our own package delivery system and the appropriate repositories. I think it would take a lot longer than 6 months to develop something even close to being a decent, stable test version.

Barney T.

The only thing I disagree with Barney is the length of time it would take to even deliver a stable test version of our own package delivery system and the appropriate repositories. I think it would take a lot longer than 6 months to develop something even close to being a decent, stable test version.

And that is fine......... I need some input on the length of time you think this will take........ I am only giving a guess here.

Barney

this is summer 2k6 =/, and the topic title says Disto lol

Sorry, that was a mistake post......

Barney

Kreuger

well we can put out as many releases as we want in any amount of time...just if we release early, there will be a lot more bugfixes. even stable OSes have their bugs doesnt matter how long it was developed. most of the popular distros (well ubuntu at least) is on 6 month release cycles. we could do it too. and remember the first beta is going to be slim so it wont take as long as a full on distro with gnome or kde

Mike

has it been decided if the distro is just a redesign of an existing one or lfs?

kinetix63
most of the popular distros (well ubuntu at least) is on 6 month release cycles. we could do it too.

I'm certainly not disagreeing there. Key packages get updated regularly as does the kernel itself. It would not be sensible to leave it any more than 6 months between releases. All I am concerned about is committing to a 6 month development time frame for a package delivery system... I just think it's on the ambitious side.

And that is fine......... I need some input on the length of time you think this will take........ I am only giving a guess here.

Barney

I'd suggest at least a 12 month timeframe for that part of the project.

Barney T.

has it been decided if the distro is just a redesign of an existing one or lfs?

The very first attempt at this will be a re-design simply to try out our ideas and to prove to ourselves that we can do it. We'll work to get things like graphics, some widgets and some scripts working well. This will not be our final product though. When we work on this, we will build from the ground up, if we have the talent that will help us do it.

Barney

I'd suggest at least a 12 month timeframe for that part of the project.

Thank you. That helps a lot.... :yes:

Barney

Tek

I believe in releasing when it's ready. Don't give any time frame. To all those people who think that this project could be wrapped up in a few months, good luck. Perhaps this would be possible if you're simply expanding on an existing distro.

The way I see it; There are two schools of thought on this.

1. You want to be able to tell people you made a new distrbution, and for them to like and use it and look up to you.

2. You want the personal satisfaction of actually creating your own distribution from nothing. You don't care if nobody uses it. The fact that you have a distribution which performs exactly as you want it to will make you happy.

Barney T.
You want the personal satisfaction of actually creating your own distribution from nothing. You don't care if nobody uses it. The fact that you have a distribution which performs exactly as you want it to will make you happy.

And this is what we want to accomplish... but we have to do the "crawl, walk, run" philosophy so we don't .....fall. :yes:

Barney

Tek

And this is what we want to accomplish... but we have to do the "crawl, walk, run" philosophy so we don't .....fall. :yes:

Barney

What would you call crawling? I would call crawling compiling Binutils and GCC. Expanding on another distro which is already running fits this philosophy how?

Barney T.

What would you call crawling? I would call crawling compiling Binutils and GCC. Expanding on another distro which is already running fits this philosophy how?

I agree with your statement. But in our vision of producing our own distro, we start small and work up. Start with a small project, complete that, and build until we can complete a "from scratch" distro ourselves. I understand that there are some folks who can compile and create distros from their own skill, but there are many people here who want to learn and join us who need to start slowly. So, for the benefit of all who have never done this before (including me) we need to let everyone participate.

Barney

Tek

Good luck. I would've enjoyed participating.

CaKeY

Thats the spirit!

Emon

Then why don't we start two parallel projects. One group will be working on the core stuff and will be building it from scratch.

And the other group will be working on packaging apps/overall look and feel of the distro.

morficus

I saw you guys are looking for somebody to work on the art of the Neowin Linux Distro.

Granted that I'm not a pro... but I'm willing to help...

I just joined the irc channel on freenode... but nobody seems to be there :(

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread I guess :p

Pc_Madness

Sorry to rain on your parade.. but... if I understand correctly, its going to be basically another linux distro called something different? Maybe your talents would be better used contributing to one of the more popular distros, or creating themes/tools that provide the Neowin style that your looking for on that distro. :\ As I understand it.. the reason for wanting to use this distro is because it will have NeoWin in the name? Which means it will more than likely only appeal to Neowin users, and even then, only a small percentage of those people use Linux, and then an even smaller percentage would be willing to trade their current distro for "Neowin Linux". Seems like a waste of effort to me, but, what do I know. :)

Barney T.

Then why don't we start two parallel projects. One group will be working on the core stuff and will be building it from scratch.

And the other group will be working on packaging apps/overall look and feel of the distro.

This is our ultimate goal, but we have to start small. Once we get a framework for what we think will work, we'll build our own model from scratch. As I said, we need to start in small steps.

Barney

• 3 weeks later...
Alladaskill17

Umm... i know nothing of Linux.. except that its not Windows or OS X. Also, I was just wondering if I could help in any way, graphically and such. I would like to request the latest stable build to install. If someone would tell me how to install it. Ive installed Vista and such, but thats a Windows & Windows Dual boot, so im scared to enter the Linux world.

Simon
Umm... i know nothing of Linux.. except that its not Windows or OS X. Also, I was just wondering if I could help in any way, graphically and such. I would like to request the latest stable build to install. If someone would tell me how to install it. Ive installed Vista and such, but thats a Windows & Windows Dual boot, so im scared to enter the Linux world.

It can't be installed yet, but it is a basic "live" CD, which means if you burn the ISO and restart your computer (or use it in VMWARE or something similar), you'll be in Linux, without installing it.

Digitalx

untill you have the foundations laid out you cant really build anything unique ontop of it is basicly what we're getting at with shift...

Alladaskill17

NeoShiftix :yes: