Tivo?

hi, my wife would like me to buy here tivo for her birthday gift. i would like one with around 80 and up in hard drive space and whether or not it has a dvdr doesn't really matter. just wondering those that have tivo what is a good model to get please. links would be great and feedback please.

thanks everyone

He means one that will record to a dvd. I have an old series 1 that works great for me. A Tivo is a Tivo is a Tivo. The software on all models are the same. You only need to compare what features are offered to suit your needs. Since mine is a series 1, I have no features.... But it does what I need it to do. I don't watch premium channels, use a satellite, or need a usb interface. I grab the cable shows I miss by not being there, record shows while watching something else, or pause live tv when the pesky neighbor wants to borrow something.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you the cable company's dvr's are in the same league as a Tivo. It's not true. The interface is far superior on the Tivo, easier to navigate, easier to manage, and very savvy when networks play around with the start/end times.

No, I don't work for Tivo and yes, i'm a loyal customer for over 5 years.... ;)

Can Tivo record HD channels? As in..720p/1080i broadcasts that I receive.

I don't believe the official Tivo can yet, but most cable companies and DirecTV offer their own HD-DVR

Tivo are ok.

I have had a DISH network DVR since 1996, (got it to record and watch Star Trek:Voyager). I love it, i current have a 525 unit and a 501, and might be upgrading to one of the new models. It is very nice, and i like that fact that they don't block channels from recording, (TW does, atleast in Cincy).

They have a great product and it works very nice.

I don't wish to hijack this guys question but does anyone know of a workaround yet for those of us who don't use a landline phone? I cut the cord 2+ years ago and DirectTV says their DVR must be hooked to a landline phone.

I don't wish to hijack this guys question but does anyone know of a workaround yet for those of us who don't use a landline phone? I cut the cord 2+ years ago and DirectTV says their DVR must be hooked to a landline phone.

acually I was wondering the same thing but for DISH.

You need a phone line for Dish DVR's? I seen someone using a DISHPlayer 510 or something (the one that is fee-free) without a landline.

I should've checked Tivo's site before posting. They have several models now that allow a broadband connection instead of a constant land-line. 6-8 months ago they were all land-line required (as DirecTV still claims via their support).

To the topic poster, again my apologies for derailing you. I don't have experience with it yet but I'm going with the base Tivo model.

You need a phone line for Dish DVR's? I seen someone using a DISHPlayer 510 or something (the one that is fee-free) without a landline.

You don't need one but they charge you like $5/month if it's not hooked up to a phone line.