ST. LOUIS - What's a health-conscious burger lover to do? The real thing tends to have too many calories and too much fat, but meatless burgers seem to lack the flavor and consistency of real beef.

St. Louis-based Solae LLC has come up with a solution, a patent-pending invention called SoleCina that involves both the process and the ingredients to produce either a "hybrid" meat ? part soy, part real meat ? or a completely meatless food that tastes like chicken, beef, pork or turkey.

The company said both versions taste ? and feel to the mouth ? much like real meat, but are much healthier. For example, a hybrid burger dubbed the "Better Burger" by Solae has two-third the calories and half the fat and saturated fat as a burger of comparable size.

Solae is a $1 billion food innovation company that specializes in soy protein ? the company has more than a 50 percent share of the world's isolated soy protein food ingredient market. It makes soy-based ingredients found in hundreds of grocery store products, including food bars, beverages, snacks and meatless alternatives.

more

I don't care what they say, Soy Burgers DO NOT taste like beef. All this does is make half of a good burger into a whole burger I no longer want to eat.

Don't know how they can get a patent on this. When I was in Elementary school (back in the 70's), this is how the school made their hamburgers, they added ground up soybeans in with the ground beef.

My Mom did this too, you could buy the ground up soybeans @ the grocery store on Military bases in a 20 - 25 pound bag (it was pretty cheap and made the more expensive ground beef go farther). Then you just add it in with the ground beef and make a patty out of it.

I actually liked the taste better than just plain ground beef.

The world, and our North America in particular will benefit from lower fat choices. :D, Hopefully this tastes good though.

I cant stand that fake crap, my mom used to try to buy the soy burgers, or the ones that were a mix. I would tell right away, before i even would taste it. They are nothing like the real thing, at all. They dont smell, taste, or even chew the same. When i bite into a soy burger it just falls apart and my teeth slide right through it. Yeah its good to have tender meat, but this isnt the same thing.

Trust me, it can be.

Not really. You only have to look at the number of people in electric buggies in america because they're too fat to walk. Less fat would certainly be a start to reducing the amoutn of fat people.

Not really. You only have to look at the number of people in electric buggies in america because they're too fat to walk. Less fat would certainly be a start to reducing the amoutn of fat people.

I have never once seen that in my life, your view of america is for sure wrong.

And being from England, you must have yellow teeth among other bad hygiene problems? :rolleyes:

This is not a new. I've been eating it at schools for at least the last 10 years. They don't taste too great, but they're ok. Now that I've graduated, I'll never have to eat another :woot:

I think I read in Reader's Digest about some pasta or something being 50% whole grains and 50% refined grains, and it would still taste as if it weren't made with whole grain.

But true, about this hamburger thing--I'd just stick with regular hamburgers.