Mysterious line down center of Laptop LCD?

I just sat down at my laptop, and theres a white line down the center of my LCD.

I tried restarting but it shows up even before Windows XP loads, so im afraid this might be a fault with the LCD.

I took two quick snaps to give an idea of what Im talking about:

laptopscreenproblem001small9ua.jpg

laptopscreenproblem002small5jv.jpg

I do tend to leave the laptop on for days at a time, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Im totally lost, any ideas guys?

The driver for that vertical line of pixels has failed. Your only option is to replace the LCD screen; contact your manufacturer and hope the warranty is still good.

I dont believe it has anything todo with drivers, if you have slightly bent the screen at all this can happen when the connection fails. Think of your screen as a matrix of horizontal and vertical lines. Not possitive if they repair these, probably cost more than replacing it. Expect to pay a couple of hundred for it though. Hope its under warrente dude. It could be a faulty screen and just failed now? Good luck anyway and let us no how it goes.

Probably a wire/pin damaged in the LCD. Shouldnt cost to much to fix and you shouldnt have to replace the screen. I had a laptop doing the same thing. I took it apart and it was this 1.5in wide ribon cable that attaches to a circuit board and then to the LCD display. There were several other identical cables connecting to the monitor..this one just went bad.

LAptops are not designed to stay on 24/7 like desktops are. I would not advise leaving your laptop on for days at a time. If you are not doing anything on it when u go to bed, turn it off

Hope its still under warranty, replacement LCD panels for laptops aren't cheap. But yeah, if it is under warranty, or just out of warranty, call Dell and they will sort you out. We have had very good experience with Dell and warranty.

Probably a wire/pin damaged in the LCD. Shouldnt cost to much to fix and you shouldnt have to replace the screen. I had a laptop doing the same thing. I took it apart and it was this 1.5in wide ribon cable that attaches to a circuit board and then to the LCD display. There were several other identical cables connecting to the monitor..this one just went bad.

LAptops are not designed to stay on 24/7 like desktops are. I would not advise leaving your laptop on for days at a time. If you are not doing anything on it when u go to bed, turn it off

That is certainly possible, in which case that's a simple and cheap fix yes, however a line like that usually results from the failure of the integrated driver chip on the lcd itself, and those are almost unfixable. Most corporations have to throw the entire lcd panel away when this happens. I had the exact same thing happen to one of my desktop LCDs, they just replaced it with a new one.

cool, i figured it was a problem with the lcd.

and i just increased the warranty 2 months ago for another 2 years (good thing).

ill give em a ring, thanks guys!

Yep, you need a new LCD. Every one diagnosed it correctly. I have seen it happen before when someone I knew dropped her laptop onto the ground. She didn't seems to care if there was a massive line of bright dead pixels in the middle of the screen (it was massive, maybe 5px wide!). You are lucky it is under warranty and that you didn't drop it as they don't cover that (I don't think). But you shouldn't leave laptops on overnight all the time for days at a time. You can put it into standby/sleep or hibernation, then then they aren't 'on'. Unless it is doing something important, never leave such a piece of equipment on for very long periods of time on regular occurrences. I hope you leant your lesson.

Cal

You are lucky it is under warranty and that you didn't drop it as they don't cover that (I don't think).

Actually Dell covers drops if you buy CompleteCare

I used to have a LCD monitor that had a similar problem, except a line thats literally 1.5 inches wide down the center right. I just sent it back for repair, worked out pretty well... it was an NEC and under 3 year warranty. I am not sure about Dell laptops, how old is yours?