Meet the browser: Opera Next

• 1 month later...

Skin fixes, Unite, and then some

By Petter Nilsen. Friday, 5. February 2010, 13:39:22

10.5, snapshot, geolocation, evenes

After staffing up and accelerating the development process, we are now approaching the beta stage on Windows. This build has a number of skin fixes and improvements, a large number of bugfixes, and Opera Unite should be working again.

We also have a new feature for you.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/02/05/skin-fixes-unite-and-then-some

That sure followed the last build quickly, and the last build seemed like a bit of a regression to me, a bit more crashy. Lets hope this one is more stable

Got another random bug here: Seems like a rep button is appearing down by the skin selector. I clicked it to check it out, so I guess I just randomly repped someone's post :rofl:

post-286512-12655710104625_thumb.png

The one remaining Neowin bug is the front page tabs not working correctly - another regression from 10.10. I've already filed a report on this.

edit: Hah you're right, there IS a rep bar down there :rofl: We must've accidentally rep'ed this post: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/474985-official-opera-weekly-builds-thread/page__st__280__p__591469920entry591469920

The main problem with 3228 is the GDI object leak which after a while causes things to go wrong.

There is still a rather old Javascript problem with regular expressions - you can see the problem at http://watchin.me.uk/opera/ - which causes comments to fail to load on some of the news articles on here.

petrossa: was that the bug where the comments would become garbled? If so, it was (think its fixed now) an issue with the JSON parser in opera garbling the text.

Seems the HTML for that post is borked, starts a comment but doesn't end it causing issues :p (Neowin issue then not an Opera one)

I am pretty sure that is a regression in this build, I have never seen it before

Doesn't appear to be a regression; 10.10 exhibits the same behaviour too. Though it doesn't show up in Firefox, odd.

Its the HTML, nothing to do with Opera, just comes down to how Opera is finding the end of the comment:

<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--<strong class='bbc'>Download Opera 10.0 Sn...

See how the 2nd comment doesn't close? Opera strictly finds the end of the comment with the next "-->" where as firefox just ends it when it next finds a ">" so it doesn't bork as much, either way, the HTML is borked.

I must confess, I have been using Opera since around version 5.0 if my memory is near correct. Really love that browser. Anxiously waiting for the next version.

The main problem with 3228 is the GDI object leak which after a while causes things to go wrong.

That and this:

memleak2.png

I've never seen Firefox leak memory. Now this, on the other hand...

I know memory usage is supposed to be high, but seeing how fast they're moving towards beta (people on the Desktop Team blog speculate it's because of the browser ballot being rolled out next month) they should really tend to this problem soon. On my desktop I don't care, I've got 6 GB of RAM so there's plenty of breathing space. On my laptop with 2 GB of RAM, this could be a problem.

Mike, there's definitely a lot of items... can't be bothered to count, but the last item dates back to October 2008 :p

Huh, how's this for weird: I opened up Windows XP Mode and Opera's RAM usage fell to the 100s.

Maybe it's not a leak after all.

Could just be that it was requesting more than it needed, as it obviously freed that memory up when you launched XP mode. Still it's something they have said they are going to sort out eventually

That and this:

memleak2.png

I've never seen Firefox leak memory. Now this, on the other hand...

How do you manage that? I've something like this (and the browser stays open forever)

memory.JPG