The new Yahoo! Photos

Here's a real quick review of Yahoo Photos Beta...

Click images to enlarge

There single most significant and obvious change in the new Yahoo Photos Beta is the slick new AJAXish UI, which resembles Yahoo Mail Beta. Fortunately, it's not as slow as Mail Beta and you can view, upload and download images pretty quickly. Still, don't expect it to be as fast as Google's AJAX services like Gmail or gCal.

photosmain-th.png

I'm not sure about the exact speeds, but I was able to upload this 400kb test image in maybe about 7 seconds on my 384kbps upload rate broadband connection.

uploading-th.png

There's not that many new features in Yahoo Photos Beta, but the few things that were added make this service more Flickr-like: tags, comments, and EXIF details on each picture page.

photopage-th.png

The thing I like best about Yahoo Photos Beta is the ability to download all your photos at their original sizes. The great thing about Yahoo Photos is that there's no limit to the number of pictures you can upload. But in the past, only Yahoo DSL subscribers could retrieve their original, high-res images they stored; with Yahoo Photos Beta, standard Yahoo users gain this capability. This is a great advantage, and it makes Yahoo Photos a great place to back up your digital image collection. Just make sure you log in once every six months so your account isn't deactivated :)

savepic-th.png

So, the bottom line: Yahoo Photos was great, and Yahoo Photos Beta is awesome--simple, easy to use, and sleek. With unlimited storage space, the only reason I could see why someone would use Flickr instead of this would be because you can't hotlink/display Yahoo Photos on other Web sites such as a blog.

Edited by Jason He

Here's a video of it in action: http://www.demo.com/demonstrators/demo2006/63052.html

Honestly, I don't see why they even bother with this now that they bought Flickr. They should just promote that instead and improve it/merge the two services.

Does the new Yahoo! Photos beta allow you to hotlink images and post them on other sites? That's one thing I like about Flickr.

suggest u to use the google picasa .

thanks for flaming noob

I used yahoo photos to pring my digital pics and I"m hapy with their service, the only thing is their old interface is :x