HD-DVD clearly outshines Blu-ray

AZKABAZ

Any comparison pictures?

mattmatik

You know, some people are just getting around buying a DVD player... Those no-name cheap at 30$....

Nail...on...the...head.

Forget 1 or 2 years. 2009 will be the year that determines how successful either format will be. Once people are forced to upgrade to HDTVs and/or converters, then you might see the migration from DVD. Even then, I don't think Blu-Ray nor HDDVD will make the big splash alot of people think it will.

Peter McGrath

Blu-Ray will be doomed. Simple. They have made mistakes, and that hasn't helped. But when people who have no idea about these things, what are they going to see?

And it deserves to be too.

Its backed by Sony who have constantly released "proprietary" hardware which means higher cost, but worse still blu-ray has the insidious "java" bootstrap on each disk which the hardware must execute before the disk will play.

Done to once again try and limit our ability to copy (etc) these disks that we have to pay a fortune for and then Sony tell us we don't own the content!. Their intent is to be able to change the bootstrap if someone works out how to defeat it like has been done with DVDs and DeCSS etc.

Unfortunately for Sony, we are wiser now to their tricks, and their recent "rootkit's" that they installed onto CDs has only highlighted their intentions to screw us over once again.

bangbang023

Nail...on...the...head.

Forget 1 or 2 years. 2009 will be the year that determines how successful either format will be. Once people are forced to upgrade to HDTVs and/or converters, then you might see the migration from DVD. Even then, I don't think Blu-Ray nor HDDVD will make the big splash alot of people think it will.

The thing is, no one is being forced to upgrade to HDTV, only sets with an ATSC tuner built in if you plan on using OTA.

mattmatik

The thing is, no one is being forced to upgrade to HDTV, only sets with an ATSC tuner built in if you plan on using OTA.

So, it's only broadcast stations?

If that's the case then I really can't see these formats taking over DVD anytime soon. I remember when DVD really became popular, places like Blockbuster carried less and less VHS movies. You almost HAD to get a DVD player. It's moves like that which will drive the market...I just think for average Joe, watching movies on the latest and greatest isn't a priority. We'll see I guess.

bangbang023

So, it's only broadcast stations?

If that's the case then I really can't see these formats taking over DVD anytime soon. I remember when DVD really became popular, places like Blockbuster carried less and less VHS movies. You almost HAD to get a DVD player. It's moves like that which will drive the market...I just think for average Joe, watching movies on the latest and greatest isn't a priority. We'll see I guess.

Broadcast stations are going to be forced to transition to digital (not HD, HD is optional) because they current airwaves are being rented from the FCC and the agency wants them back for.

mattmatik

Broadcast stations are going to be forced to transition to digital (not HD, HD is optional) because they current airwaves are being rented from the FCC and the agency wants them back for.

Gotcha :)

You can imagine the confusion out there, haha!

bangbang023

Gotcha :)

You can imagine the confusion out there, haha!

Yeah, especially since all my co-workers in Home Theater think the upgrade is forced HD on every signal also. What a pain in the rear it is for me lol.

Nashy

Even if people arn't going to be forced to upgrade, I think within the next 2 years, if you want a new TV, its a HDTV, or no TV at all. Just where I see things progressing

bangbang023

Even if people arn't going to be forced to upgrade, I think within the next 2 years, if you want a new TV, its a HDTV, or no TV at all. Just where I see things progressing

It's heading that way, but you'd be surprised. Most tubes are still SD only and that's only IF they have an ATSC tuner. Understandably, tubes are losing market share, but they do still own the market, regardless.

Nashy

It's heading that way, but you'd be surprised. Most tubes are still SD only and that's only IF they have an ATSC tuner. Understandably, tubes are losing market share, but they do still own the market, regardless.

Thats the same with all new technology though. Just like with DVD's. They have been around for yonks, and only in the past 5 or so years really started booming.

People find it hard to adapt to change, except us techno freaks :p

bangbang023

People find it hard to change because it costs more money.

beardedwonder

Who cares? Let them fight it out, eventually one format will win, it'll be licenced to everyone to produce and then the prices will come tumbling down.

dagamer34

People find it hard to change because it costs more money.

Moreso, people will find it hard to change because it requires a significant investment.

Personally, anyone would be dumb to think VHS was better than DVD. The simple fact that you never had to rewind anything made it not only easy to watch different parts of a movie, it's a hell of a lot more kid-friendly too.

However, trying to explain things like HDTV, 1080i this, 720p that, will confuse the heck out of any normal person. Heck, some people STILL don't have DVD players (yea, I know), you really think HD-DVD/Blu-ray will offer much more?