Two referees per match in next World Cup?

I say no to the two-ref system and yes to a fifth official behind a replay stand somewhere with a headset to communicate within seconds with the main ref and the linesmen for offside calls.

why dont they just get better refs? this is like the only year that this has become a major issue, so obviously they need to choose different refs for the next one.

I say no to the two-ref system and yes to a fifth official behind a replay stand somewhere with a headset to communicate within seconds with the main ref and the linesmen for offside calls.

The issue this Cup though hasn't been offsides. I mean granted in real time with really close calls a linesman is bound to miss a few. I don't like the idea of video replay in soccer. It would slow down the game even if there's instant communication. I mean think about it, on some of the close offsides calls the networks may show three or four replays and we may still be unsure. Meanwhile, the ball may have moved all the way to the other end of the field by the time they cut back to live action. If it turned out a mistake was made and play should have been stopped? Then they'd have to stop the game and bring the ball back? With a running clock I don't think it's practical.

FIFA never should have given that mandate before the Cup about yellow cards. I think that's what ruined everything. They wanted more yellows and refs severely overreacted. AND I ahvne't seen all that many yellows for diving anyway which, if I'm not mistaken, is what they wanted more issued for. You don't need two refs as much as you need one competent ref along with two competent linesmen (see the Mexican crew that had the Germany-Italy game).

The chip idea I like. Now granted it may also slow down the game in a sense but there are a lot fewer close calls with regards to a goal as there are with regards to offsides.

The amnesty on yellows I'm still undecided on lol.

something needs to change about the fouling. i've never seen so many faked injuries in my life, and it makes the sport look like a joke. i mean, i've complained about the nba in the past, and even the nhl to a degree (which has implemented a penalty for faking a fall), but soccer is so much worse than those 2 sports, by a factor of 10.

if you can't walk off of the field, you better be in crutches for the next 3-6 months. i've seen guys in the NFL with 2 torn knee ligaments walk off under their own power.

i know there's a subbing rule regarding being hurt and all, but does it make sense to fall down, cry in pain, get carried off on a stretcher, and then get off and walk and run around under your own power? the sport, in it's present form, is more about acting than anything else at this point. i've watched at least a portion of almost every single game, and more games have been decided by acting and bad referreeing then by good plays and fair goals.

why dont they just get better refs? this is like the only year that this has become a major issue, so obviously they need to choose different refs for the next one.

Itd be ok if pierluigi collina (sp?) hadnt retired :( Best ref in the world he is! :(

Not only for offside calls but also for faults .. then I'm with you.

J.

something needs to change about the fouling. i've never seen so many faked injuries in my life, and it makes the sport look like a joke. i mean, i've complained about the nba in the past, and even the nhl to a degree (which has implemented a penalty for faking a fall), but soccer is so much worse than those 2 sports, by a factor of 10.

if you can't walk off of the field, you better be in crutches for the next 3-6 months. i've seen guys in the NFL with 2 torn knee ligaments walk off under their own power.

i know there's a subbing rule regarding being hurt and all, but does it make sense to fall down, cry in pain, get carried off on a stretcher, and then get off and walk and run around under your own power? the sport, in it's present form, is more about acting than anything else at this point. i've watched at least a portion of almost every single game, and more games have been decided by acting and bad referreeing then by good plays and fair goals.

I agree with you there. The players are all 20+. They should be able to at least limp off on one foot. They definately overused the stretcher in this world cup. Tbh. I prefer that golf cart they had :D

especially now-retired celebrity referee Pierluigi Collina (the bald guy with the piercing look) -- had responded negatively to the two-referee system.

He retired? :( My football is still crying. :(

He was the only decent ref in football world wide. Nonetheless, I think Archundia, the ref from the Germany v Italy game, is probably one of the best right now. He has refereed 5 games so far and all 5 have no controversies. Hopefully he will be chosen for the final. He barely calls any fouls and when he does, its usually for a card. That's something that made Collina the best in the world. Let them play and only call the severe ones.

I still don't see a video replay useful for football. It will take more out of the game than just not having it.

In some cases, haven't seen anyone complain in rugby yet...

J.

He was the only decent ref in football world wide. Nonetheless, I think Archundia, the ref from the Germany v Italy game, is probably one of the best right now. He has refereed 5 games so far and all 5 have no controversies. Hopefully he will be chosen for the final. He barely calls any fouls and when he does, its usually for a card. That's something that made Collina the best in the world. Let them play and only call the severe ones.

There was a charity match a while ago that Robbie Williams organised, with a load of celebrities etc, Collina was the ref for that game :) Was nice to see him back :D

I still don't see a video replay useful for football. It will take more out of the game than just not having it.

Tell that to the player that gets sent off when Portugal players dive like they are in a swimming pool and never touched :whistle:

they should just hit where it hurts for the players THEIR SALARY!

after the game, a board sould review the video of the game and fine the players for every fake foul with 5k

you'll see how they'll stop faking injuries and fouls :laugh:

Tell that to the player that gets sent off when Portugal players dive like they are in a swimming pool and never touched :whistle:

Here we go again with the attacks on Portugal :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if Portugal is the only team in history to dive when playing football :rolleyes:

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I can't see any negatives to more referee's. All I hear about with soccer is "bad calls, they won because the ref was out of place, that wasn't right, they won because of an Argentine ref!, etc"

Hockey (NHL) has 2 ref's and 2 linesman. Couldn't hurt gameplay with another official.

There was a charity match a while ago that Robbie Williams organised, with a load of celebrities etc, Collina was the ref for that game :) Was nice to see him back :D

When Gordon Ramsey started swearing at him during that game. That was classic.

they should just hit where it hurts for the players THEIR SALARY!

after the game, a board sould review the video of the game and fine the players for every fake foul with 5k

you'll see how they'll stop faking injuries and fouls :laugh:

But when players are earning 100,000 per week, that is nothing.

I was talking about video review after the match with a mate last week. We reckon that if the team was penalised for the cheating and diving as well as the player, it would be stopped quicker. If the team were to lose points if a player was found to have cheated and then contributed to the win, I think it would stop very quickly.

But when players are earning 100,000 per week, that is nothing.

I was talking about video review after the match with a mate last week. We reckon that if the team was penalised for the cheating and diving as well as the player, it would be stopped quicker. If the team were to lose points if a player was found to have cheated and then contributed to the win, I think it would stop very quickly.

sorry maybe I said it wrong, I meant everytime in the game

so if they dive 5 times in the game that's 25k :laugh: :p