Microsoft Private Folder 1.0

Just installed it, gonna restart soon, the WGA wasn't a problem, it only asked once for me, maybe doing so during installation without my knowledge.

the " Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 " has been released in english (it was at first released only in chinese).

"Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 is a useful tool for you to protect your private data when your friends, colleagues, kids or other people share your PC or account. With this tool, you will get one password protected folder called 'My Private Folder' in your account to save your personal files. Download and have your private folder today!"

it's part of the "Windows Genuine Advantage Offers" here : http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/offers/de...countrycode=USA

beware! even after validating your pc to get it ,when you go to install it ,it wants to go microsoft to validate your pc again.

so you end up validating twice,(wished there was a workaround lol)

Thanks for the update :yes: ,just a shame you can only have one password protected folder :cry: ,actually what about folders inside folders?.

this is great for shared pc's at home (like me with my 3 kids).

keeps things i don't want them to see private ;)

i don't mind the validating to get it i just don't like to have to validate it to install it(hence why i said i wish there was a workaround for it).

it must be something new microsoft is introducing on the wga thing.

that will be the pron then? :) :D :laugh: :p :pinch: :rofl: :shifty: :shiftyninja: :whistle: :yes: ;)

people always find workarounds...it's part of the nerdy life...

Here is the real question though; will something like this finally be included in Vista?

All Im saying is Dirlock has worked fine for me for ages... no need for this unless they had actually bothered to include it in the first place

Decent app, but not quite what I was hoping it'd be... I wanted the ability to password protect any folder I choose or at the very least place the folder where I want it, not where the app tells me I want it...

Anyone got a link for the installer itself? I would like to take a crack at this thing but I don't have Xp installed in VmWare at the moment.

I downloaded and using it...I agree with some its not good because you cant password every folder...lol...but its useful :)

And the TROLLING over WGA continues. Come on everyone, the bandwagon is going that way, you know you want to jump on it :rolleyes:

(anyone else noticing the majority of the Microsoft flamers happen to be pirates? Yeah, I noticed it too. And don't try to claim you all have legit copies that fail WGA, I have seen a maximum of 5 posters here that failed the WGA check. If you have problems, contact Microsoft who will support your legally purchased copy. Otherwise, stop whinging!)

I think it's great that Microsoft have released a FREE program that does this, downloading now.

Can't you just encrypt your folder (native NTFS feature) rather than having to use this?

That will only encrypt between user-accounts. This could be useful for where you share a user-account with others, like family members for example.

Im sure the password is kept in some file that can be hacked and viewed by someone if they can get into your computer so it probably wont do much

Are we sure there are two WGA checks on this thing? I have installed this program on WinS2k3 without internet access.

Are we sure there are two WGA checks on this thing? I have installed this program on WinS2k3 without internet access.

I wasn't bugged about WGA at all, either. Oh, well.