• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

'Breast ironing' to stunt girls' growth ?

zhangm    1,338

Get off your high horse, western society has been 'mutilatating' people without their expressed consent for hundreds of years, too.

I don't quite understand how you can see it as your RIGHT to condemn and put an end to cultural practices that are not your own. Judge the practices, fine; oppose the practices, also fine; but strong-arming your way around traditions that have existed for hundreds of years is what has put many cultures in such a screwed-up state. If uppity-westerners could just keep their noses in their own business things would be a lot better.

How would you like it if some stuck-up outsider came in and started telling you you couldn't do things that your parents, and their parents, and their parents before them had done?

But there is no force here. There is only information and education. There are people saying, "Hey, this is what you're doing and here are consequences that you may not have realized." Once everyone becomes so blind that being exposed to the other side of the story seems like being "strong-armed", then that's when everyone becomes close-minded and society becomes static and stagnant.

Its findings have prompted a nationwide campaign to educate mothers about its dangers and to try to eradicate it. A similar campaign some years ago helped drastically to reduce rates of female genital mutilation in Cameroon.

Marduk    1

How the hell did their culture get so messed up along with female circumcision, *shudders*.

Arkaic    21

:cry: that is so horrible. :(

NOOOOOO.

Let boobies grow free!!!

:yes:

Those who have this done have absolutely no say in the matter and it's fairly obvious that if they did they wouldn't want it. Also, a line has to be drawn somewhere. Indecisiveness and complacency is fine for us sure; we're not the ones getting our breasts ironed, clitorises cut off or vaginas sown shut. If we're all a part of the human race we all have the right and duty to judge, condemn and see that an end is put to the mutilation of other human beings. Sitting on our hands with our thumbs up our asses and shrugging our shoulders accomplishes absolutely nothing but give consent to these absurdities. Enough of that bull sh*t that just because it is foreign to someone they cannot pass judgement on atrocious practices.

:yes: Exactly!

SaLiVa    3

Unfortunately for them, most of Africa is too poor to even eat, let alone get implants.

Though this is just wrong in all senses, their beliefs and acts should be respected.

I don't think it's belief. It's a precaution or at least to deter against a rising crime in Africa. They're scared for their daughters lives, so they forcefully try to reduce their daughters breast size.

Better education in that region would fix this problem, but money as you said isn't easy to come by in that region. Not to mention the large number of conflicts between tribes and political figures.

shadowmatt    0

In some countries and religions its acceptable to remove the skin from the end of the penis.

I bet many American reading this have had it done, I havent and dont know anyone who has apart from a family member for medical reasons. Different contries have different parctices, not that I believe its a good thing to iron breast.

Just want to make a point that in the west circumcision is considered normal, if not practiced by all, but it could also be described as genital mutilation.

Pink Floyd    15

so rediculous this old mentality and beleive stuff like that :(

exotoxic    686

reminds me of this... i saw it on tv just the other day...

At a young age, most women have their bottom teeth removed and their bottom lips pierced, then stretched, so as to allow insertion of a clay lip plate. The bigger the plate a woman can hold in her lip, the more cattle she will be worth in trade when married.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suri_(Ethiopia)

and here is an image

http://ethiopiapartnership.org/Surma%20lip...e.JPG%20web.JPG

when they take the plate out they just have a dangling bit of skin... looks horrible :|

Nexus    0

Unfortunately for them, most of Africa is too poor to even eat, let alone get implants.

Though this is just wrong in all senses, their beliefs and acts should be respected.

Even though their beliefs are harmful and have absolutely no health benefit,

and enforcing them upon others (the daughter(s). That would be like a man saying

"every woman should have sex with me", therefore he goes on a rape spree just

based of his "belief" and its harmful to others and yet we are supposed to respect it.

Toology    13

Get off your high horse, western society has been 'mutilatating' people without their expressed consent for hundreds of years, too.

And where, if anywhere, did I claim that any society was innocent of this?

Arkaic    21
In some countries and religions its acceptable to remove the skin from the end of the penis.

I bet many American reading this have had it done, I havent and dont know anyone who has apart from a family member for medical reasons. Different contries have different parctices, not that I believe its a good thing to iron breast.

Just want to make a point that in the west circumcision is considered normal, if not practiced by all, but it could also be described as genital mutilation.

Didn't think of it like this. I was a baby when it was done, so I have no recollection. :|

Boogiman    0

NOOOOOO.

Let boobies grow free!!!

LMAO :D :D

Anyway, It still amazes me how some stupid some people are..... :no:

Kerm    51

Just like female Circumcision.

Idiotic.

Azusa    930

mmmm Delicious flat chest

Konstanov    58

Still not as bad as FGM.

webeagle12    948

wtf is wrong with people there

Slacker    6

I think that a bigger issue must be the fear of sexual harassment / assault. Maybe these mothers wouldn't feel the need to go to these extremes if they didn't feel it to be necessary. It doesn't sound like the mothers really enjoy doing this either, but they figure it to be a better alternative to having their daughter raped. Maybe a campaign against sexual harassment is in order too, although more difficult. Just convincing the mothers that this action isn't a good idea isn't enough...

jooface    0

Yea, you guys do realize that rape is REALLY bad in South Africa as in the worst in the world something like 64,000 REPORTED a year meaning its more likely that 2x that actually occur. If it was that big of a problem I'm sure you guys would condone it to lessen your daughters' chances of getting sexually assaulted.

Slacker    6

And, in this way, these actions aren't really cultural but a reaction to fear. So anyone who says that we shouldn't judge another culture should think first and realize that this isn't a cultural practice... if you read the article it says that this is really only becoming a more popular practice because the girls are developing at an earlier age.

Echilon    1

We're in the 21st century, and people are still resorting to this?! I could understand in Africa, but not in civilised society.

L3thal    2

We're in the 21st century, and people are still resorting to this?! I could understand in Africa, but not in civilised society.

Well, you have to understand Brazil has the Amazon forest and inside that forest, the inhabitants are not as civil as you may think.

strekship    16

I can understand why the mothers are resorting to this. They are trying to protect their daughters from rape.

Nexus    0

I can understand why the mothers are resorting to this. They are trying to protect their daughters from rape.

I'm sure their are better ways than inflciting pain and torture. Like not going anywhere alone, or a curfew, limit her area (no more than 1/4 of a mile from the village), etc....... So these woman are being raped based on their cup size? I'm sure thats not the anatomy that rapists are after. How about the old fashioned chastity belt.

zeroday    19

that is so.. crazy :|

Echilon    1

Well, you have to understand Brazil has the Amazon forest and inside that forest, the inhabitants are not as civil as you may think.

Due to my awful geographical knowledge, I was under the impression that Cameroon was in the US. It all makes sense now, as I said, I can understand this happening in the african jungle.

oldaccount1    3

I'm sure their are better ways than inflciting pain and torture. Like not going anywhere alone, or a curfew, limit her area (no more than 1/4 of a mile from the village), etc....... So these woman are being raped based on their cup size? I'm sure thats not the anatomy that rapists are after. How about the old fashioned chastity belt.

There you go. (Y)