Home network.

I've been sent to my sisters house to set up a network between her husbands compuer and her's.

They both have them in the same room.

They both are connected to one DSL router/modem

When I went to the home network setup on my bother in law's computer i followed the steps

and when i go to network places I see the share folder

When I did the same thing on my sisters computer and went to network places I did not see anything..

Should I be setting up a network that way or is there something easier that I am overlooking?

Also.

If they want to share printers they have to buy one with an ethernet port so that they can hook it up to the router. Am i right?

and how would I do about setting that up.

I've been on a mac for a while and things were just so much simpler on those things.

You will have better luck setting it manually rather than using the wizards. Set the workgroups, the names of the computers, the shared folders, the folder security permissions and the system security permissions.

Once you get the network working you will be able to share the printer across the network from the PC that its plugged into.

You could get a printer server to connect the printer to the router then you dont have to worry about having the PC that printer in connected to switched on when the other PC needs to print.

Would anyone be as kind as to explain step by step what to do?

I've tried everything and my sisters computer just won't connect to the other one for some reason. :-\

The only firewall they have is the router/dsl modem

unless it's all the spyware and addware and all that aother BS that is stopping my sisters computer from connecting.

Before i formatted my brother in laws computer he had a problem of not even recognizing a internet connection period.

So yesterday I formatted it and it works fine.

Should I do the same for my sisters?

Not unless you can confirm that is the problem. I think you are going to have better luck looking for guides on how to do this. I'm not exactly compelled to give you a step-by-step guide.