I'm Free! No more windows

PNWDweller

Woot! I can't believe I have finally comitted to using Linux. After 5+ years of playing with several flavors, such as Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse, and a few others, I am happily living in the world of Ubuntu. Runs perfectly on my Laptop with wireless sans WPA (Have yet to get that configured properly)

Actually quite easy to use and for the first time I can actually say that I have a linux which will fully run 100% on my machine made for windows! As for my addiction to XP Pro - well....I am running that inside of linux through a virtual machine.

Again - WOOT!

Lasker

congratulations mate

Kreuger

Good job

EZRecovery

Congratulations. I have tried to get into Linux running Mepis, but is not quite easy since in the outside world, the majority of people use Windows.

/EZ

PNWDweller

Congratulations. I have tried to get into Linux running Mepis, but is not quite easy since in the outside world, the majority of people use Windows.

/EZ

Mepis Looks interesting, will have to look at that at a later date. :) Having too much fun in Ubuntu atm. :whistle:

Phixion

Woot! I can't believe I have finally comitted to using Linux. After 5+ years of playing with several flavors, such as Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse, and a few others, I am happily living in the world of Ubuntu. Runs perfectly on my Laptop with wireless sans WPA (Have yet to get that configured properly)

Actually quite easy to use and for the first time I can actually say that I have a linux which will fully run 100% on my machine made for windows! As for my addiction to XP Pro - well....I am running that inside of linux through a virtual machine.

Again - WOOT!

you will be back :)

Alex the man

you will nto be able to resist the temptaion of the dark side :shiftyninja:

EZRecovery

you will nto be able to resist the temptaion of the dark side :shiftyninja:

:laugh:

Michael

Sweet. What I found strange reading your story is I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop also just this past Friday. To get WPA working I followed a tutorial on the ubuntu forums: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=125150 Start with where it says "NetworkManager and Dependencies" and hopefully this will help you get WPA working.

paulOr

bah!, im scared to leave my trusty XP machine, i just dont see how any other operating system can do what this one does!

benplace

Good Job! It is so leet to go with the cooler you have to stock with ice 3 times a day instead of going with the industry standard Refridgerator that will keep everything cool with no work on your part.

Chicane-UK

Well done :)

I can't get my main desktop PC to behave as I want under any distro of Linux but my few year old Toshiba Tecra 9100 works superbly under Linux.. so I was able to blast Windows off it and just put Ubuntu on it and use it for surfing the net, music, IM, etc..

Really really impressed with Ubuntu. Linux has come a long way.

PNWDweller

Sweet. What I found strange reading your story is I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop also just this past Friday. To get WPA working I followed a tutorial on the ubuntu forums: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=125150 Start with where it says "NetworkManager and Dependencies" and hopefully this will help you get WPA working.

I think I tried that too, I was running a tight ship at home though with my router. I realized that WEP is supported though and for where I live, that is better than nothing. (Rural area - open is probably fine too but why risk it?)

I will have to check that again and see now that I have it running in full if it works easier for me. Right now, I am simply thrilled to have it running so smooth. Funny thing - I installd the Ebuntu logo pack from synaptic and it now thinks it is Ebuntu. LOL When I did a test run with KDE, it thought it was Kubuntu. Kind of fun to see what I will come up with next.

On the down site, I was running a trial of VMWARE fine last night, when I updated the Kernal (A little update happy all of a sudden). Vmware doesn't want to run anymore. I plan on reinstalling it to see if that helps. I figure the Kernal change must have been too much for Vmware's configuration.

Coming from the old world of the 8-bit Atari 800xl computer to where I am now - I love being able to get into a system which still uses the command lines and terminals every so often. Not that xp didn't, but I could only take so much. Don't get me wrong, I still love windows, and will maybe even buy Vista, but think my primary system will be Linux 100% of the time from now on.

Barney T.

Fabulous! I know that you'll enjoy your experience!

Barney

Lee G.

Congrats :)

I'm considering moving to Ubuntu as well (on my laptop). I'm just getting bored of Windows and want to try something different.

MrA

Good Job! It is so leet to go with the cooler you have to stock with ice 3 times a day instead of going with the industry standard Refridgerator that will keep everything cool with no work on your part.

Funny, I don't have to stock my cooler 3 times a day (or even 3 times a week).

@OP: Anywho, great. As long as you're comforatable with it.

Ruti

i already tryed changing to linux, but got scared cuz its hard for me to configure everything, and i play games, and whe im bored i mess with the system, lol and if i mess linux i wouldnt know how to fix it

wez312

Ditto on the above...I haven't done any research on this so feel free to yell at me for that. But I figured since the issue is at hand it would be easier to ask here. Ubuntu is completely free then? Maybe I'll finally give that a shot....

shiven

I don't get it. I've used Linux before, Suse, and it seems harder and more complicated then windows. I know they say it's better and all, but really.. how?? :huh:

Dom

Linux from my point of view is no better than Windows... or OSX

They both different OS for different people :p

But i would like to try Linux a bit too, what can i say...

Congratulations! Hope you dont get all stressed with some Linux issues that you might usually have... or maybe it just happens to me... lol :p

Imaginos

Congrats! I went the SuSE route on my laptop. The 10.1 release really improves wireless support and WPA is working fine with my SMC card.

Tek

I don't get it. I've used Linux before, Suse, and it seems harder and more complicated then windows. I know they say it's better and all, but really.. how?? :huh:

Linux isn't more complicated, Windows is less complicated. UNIX is the operating system of The Internet and it's been around since the 70s. Windows was designed to make computers more accessible to those who don't care about how they work. They just want to click something, and have something happen. Linux was designed to provide the power and functionality of UNIX for free. Unfortunately, Linux seems to be heading the same way as Windows with 3-click installation, etc. Soon Linux will be dumbed down to a point where it's nothing more than an open source Windows clone.

markjensen
That's an odd point of view. My Linux box requires much less work to keep running than my wife and kids' Windows boxes.
Linux seems different to you. Not necessarily harder. You spent years using and learning Windows to the point where you are likely comfortable enough to perform regedits. That is going to be the biggest difference in the perceived "complexity" between Windows and Linux.
GenericAmerican

What exactly are you free of? Now things will take much more time and effort and welcome to buggier, more unprofessional software.

Liquid

I'm going to get bashed to crap for this but...

At this state, in my oppinion any distro of Linux is NOT ready for full desktop use. It's not efficient.

Server use, its great.