Windows Vista Build 5466 Screenshots

I used to really like the look of Vista. Transparency, the close buttons look slick, etc. Now I dislike it more and more each time I see screenshots. :/

From a working point of view, the UI is awful. With transparency when you get too many Windows on top of one another, it becomes harder to tell them apart. The only way you can tell an active window from an inactive window is by the red close button. Generally, the layout of the UI within the windows looks messy as well.

There are some nice useful bits - the "disk space remaining meter" for example, but generally speaking the whole UI feels like it has been designed for those who want an uber 1337 looking desktop. Which is pointless; the ones who want a 1337 desktop will use a theming program and customize it themselves, and the only ones who will use the default UI will be those who use it for work/general home usage, which are the ones who need a clean, well defined and clear UI.

A lot of what I have said is opinions I have drawn from reading various articles online (there was a good one mentioning the active Windows), and I have to agree with them after thinking about it. I'm not someone who bashes MS for the sake of it (I usually stick up for MS against pointless bashers), but I really dislike Vistas UI.

I seriously think MS need to re-design the UI before release. Seriously.

Microsoft needs a lesson in color consisentcy. And does anyone else agree that fullscreen apps look better in Aero than in Aero Glass?

yeah, from the look of this is an improvement. i personally think its coming together now some people might disagree but that last build and this one make me think vita is getting close :)

That looks alot cleaner then the CPP Build, i'm liking it alot more then i did now :) wounder if they fixed the 7 ways to remove an icon off the desktop yet :p

I used to really like the look of Vista. Transparency, the close buttons look slick, etc. Now I dislike it more and more each time I see screenshots. :/

From a working point of view, the UI is awful. With transparency when you get too many Windows on top of one another, it becomes harder to tell them apart. The only way you can tell an active window from an inactive window is by the red close button. Generally, the layout of the UI within the windows looks messy as well.

There are some nice useful bits - the "disk space remaining meter" for example, but generally speaking the whole UI feels like it has been designed for those who want an uber 1337 looking desktop. Which is pointless; the ones who want a 1337 desktop will use a theming program and customize it themselves, and the only ones who will use the default UI will be those who use it for work/general home usage, which are the ones who need a clean, well defined and clear UI.

A lot of what I have said is opinions I have drawn from reading various articles online (there was a good one mentioning the active Windows), and I have to agree with them after thinking about it. I'm not someone who bashes MS for the sake of it (I usually stick up for MS against pointless bashers), but I really dislike Vistas UI.

I seriously think MS need to re-design the UI before release. Seriously.

I thought I was the only one.

I thought I was the only one.

Well that 's makes 2 of you............ :no:......there is always gonna be poeple like you guys in the crowd.... :angry: always have something negative to say.

so how do us beta testers get our hands on the newer build (5466) it isnt on Microsoft Connect, i dont know nif its an official interim build or a leaked build, i have build 5456 which i got from Connect on June 30th.

Any idea's

it will be on connect, when it is needed. dont rush ms. you no what happens when you do. beta2 is a perfect example. the whole vista project is a perfect example

ick, those new greenish/blue borders on the sidebar gadgets are hideous. and I thought they were hideous on the glass borders of windows themselves (even when those are significantly less opaque)

Edited by trekkie.

so how do us beta testers get our hands on the newer build (5466) it isnt on Microsoft Connect, i dont know nif its an official interim build or a leaked build, i have build 5456 which i got from Connect on June 30th.

Any idea's

If indeed this is a build for TAP participants, we testers probably will not get it. TAP users didn't get a few builds that techbeta testers got, and vice-versa. Something better might come along ;)

To the above post, i think with Vista if there are resources available it will use it. I think Vista is smart enough to handle resource allocation when something else comes along requesting it (memory for example). A little blurb from the MS Vista webpage... promotional hype or not, there has to be some substance to their claims.

Windows SuperFetch helps manage memory to get the most out of available RAM...

Windows SuperFetch

Windows SuperFetch, a new technology in Windows Vista, allows applications and files to load much faster than on Windows XP-based computers. In previous versions of Windows, system responsiveness could be uneven. You may have experienced sluggish behavior after booting your machine, after performing a fast user switch, or even after lunch. Although too many carbohydrates might slow you down after lunch, your computer slows down for different reasons. When you're not actively using your computer, background tasks—including automatic backup and antivirus software scans—take this opportunity to run when they will least disturb you. These background tasks can take space in system memory that your applications were using. After you start to use your PC again, it can take some time to reload your data into memory, slowing down performance.

SuperFetch understands which applications you use most, and preloads these applications into memory, so your system is more responsive. SuperFetch uses an intelligent prioritization scheme that understands which applications you use most often, and can even differentiate which applications you are likely to use at different times (for example, on the weekend versus during the week), so that your computer is ready to do what you want it to do. Windows Vista can also prioritize your applications over background tasks, so that when you return to your machine after leaving it idle, it's still responsive.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/feat...erformance.mspx

Edited by I8PP

Well that 's makes 2 of you............ :no:......there is always gonna be poeple like you guys in the crowd.... :angry: always have something negative to say.

I'm not saying it doesn't look good. It is really fancy and looks cool. But for those who will be most likely to use the default UI (business people) it is awful. It isn't useable on a regular, business focused, daily basis.

As a contrast, Windows Classic may be dull (grey - yuk), but everything has a clear place in the UI, and as a user you instantly know where to click. Windows XP default theme (although tacky), and Theme Royale are well defined too using the green, blue and lighter/darker tones of the two to make sure everything is defined nicely and easy to see.

The problem with Vista, is they went over the top with transparency. They could have used a little quite effectively (like having everything inset within a thin transparent border). But instead, they have made everything transparent, leaving no definition between the sections. So everything looks much the same.