Windows Vista Build 5466 Screenshots

I'm not saying it doesn't look good. It is really fancy and looks cool. But for those who will be most likely to use the default UI (business people) it is awful. It isn't useable on a regular, business focused, daily basis.

As a contrast, Windows Classic may be dull (grey - yuk), but everything has a clear place in the UI, and as a user you instantly know where to click. Windows XP default theme (although tacky), and Theme Royale are well defined too using the green, blue and lighter/darker tones of the two to make sure everything is defined nicely and easy to see.

The problem with Vista, is they went over the top with transparency. They could have used a little quite effectively (like having everything inset within a thin transparent border). But instead, they have made everything transparent, leaving no definition between the sections. So everything looks much the same.

you might be happy to hear they got rid of the dull grey in windows classic :) they changed it to a nice shade of blue. theres some pictures floating around...actually i think they're on another post in this forum

i was aking if this was an official build or a leaked build, TAP testers get every build thats released from Microsoft, i saw the screen shot but dont know if its official or not.

Any details?

If you look close at those screenshots you will see that maybe half of them are of the new Basic UI. These are much more than we have seen so far.

By the way this is not the latest build. They are up to 5472 or later. If you look at some of the screenshots of the Basic UI you will see a new Wallpaper in the background. That is the new Bliss.

Edited by M118LR

The ones that have been there since forever, surrounding buttons, icons and tabs.

http://www.winfuture.de/index.php?nolayout...c_id=1152638028

http://www.winfuture.de/index.php?nolayout...c_id=1152638036

http://www.winfuture.de/index.php?nolayout...c_id=1152638106

http://www.winfuture.de/index.php?nolayout...c_id=1152638112

etc. etc.

The screenshot I posted before was showing how much idle space certain windows have, sorry for the mixup. :)

you might be happy to hear they got rid of the dull grey in windows classic :) they changed it to a nice shade of blue. theres some pictures floating around...actually i think they're on another post in this forum

I can't seem to find them. Do you have a link? :huh:

Thanks. :)

The dotted lines around the active button/icon etc?

Yer, that could look a little better.

Overall though looks very nice.

It could be a nice glow at least on Aero theme... :yes:

Im scared. Its running ultimate (according with the pics) and with that machine, with nothing running the OS seems to get all the resources. I know, just a beta, pre-rc1. But still

look: http://screenshots.winfuture.de/1152638106.jpg

You might not know this, but there's a great reason: Vista takes what it can get until the user launches an app, at which time Vista scales back so you can run other processes. The end result is better response from the OS.

It's not bad, better than before but they still have a long way to go in making this a good os, and for ****s sake get rid of the grey dotted line on ****, we don't need to be reminded of the classic windows days, just use graphics already. Geez when will they learn how to make a proper user interface, take a hint from Apple.

I really hope they fix the non aero gui, looks really bad, and I expect many are going to be using that too. Why can't they center the titlebar buttons, like geez wtf is wrong with these designers :pinch:

Ah well, like I said getting better, anyone else notice the lack of start button on the aero express theme?

Can you select the language you want (32 languages they said) during the installation process? As promised by the final release?

You might not know this, but there's a great reason: Vista takes what it can get until the user launches an app, at which time Vista scales back so you can run other processes. The end result is better response from the OS.

Isnt that how OSX and some Linux distros work?

Has this been an announced feature in vista or does windowXP also do this?

It looks like Microsoft is adding a bit of a blue tint to the borders of windows and gadgets, which looks absolutely horrible. Also, the taskbar looks a bit blue-er than previous builds, which I don't really like either (IMO it looked much better when it was black). This build seems like a step back in terms of the GUI. :/

And I agree with Neowave about the dots and wasted space.

Why can't they make the taskbar and start menu excatly like the window theme. If I want the window coloured blue, then I mean I want my taskbar and start menu blue too, not black.

Those who can't tell whether there is an active window or an inactive window. You can also tell by the border. The topmost window is the active one and has always been even in XP. And the buttons. It glow blue when active (at least it did for me in Beta 2)

I don't wish to digress but how is Bluetooth in Vista ? its absolutely horrible to use under XP (in stark contrast to my iBook which is smooth like butter :p). I seriously hope they have imporved on such important things.

The topmost window is the active one and has always been even in XP.

That's fine. Until you put windows side-by-side. Which is one of the points of "Windows".