nVidia lockup/BSOD FIX! Read this!

I found this on ExtremeTech and its the ONLY thing that has worked for me so far. Granted, this is a temporary fix until nVidia and/or Microsoft get off their butts and fix the problem properly, but I'd rather have no AGP acceleration than lockups/freezes/BSODs. Here it is:

"Many people have problems with making their Gefoce cards work under XP, especially in OpenGL and DirectX modes. This is often reported as a lock-up error in nv_disp.dll (or nv4_disp.dll). After spending losts of time on this, I want to share the fix that worked for me.

The problem is related to Nvidia's program interface to the low level AGP chipset driver. The TEMPORARY fix (until nVida and MS finally wakes up and fixes this the right way) is as follows:

Right Click on My Computer.

Select Properties.

Click the Hardware Tab.

Click the Device Manager Button.

Click the + next to System devices.

Right Click on "CPU to AGP Controller". (Note: This may be something like "Intel something something to AGP Controller" or "VIA something something to AGP Controller")

Click Update Driver.

Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", then click the next button.

Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install", then click the next button.

Select "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge", then click the next button.

Click finish when prompted, then reboot when prompted.

Please understand that this will disable AGP texturning support and in turn slow down your video system somewhat, but it sure beats having to deal with lockups and blue screens. Pls post a note if this helped you."

Like I said, this is the ONLY thing that worked for me. I tried everything in the book except this and this is all that works. Personally, it didn't slow me down that much, but my computer is rather old and it doesn't make a whole lot of difference because I'm not a big gamer. At least now I can USE OpenGL and DirectX stuff again without lockups and BSODs. I'll gladly trade a speed reduction for that! :D

WishX

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that a lot of people are still posting new topics with messages like "I have a GeForce and a this and a that and I get a bluescreen. What is it?" Replies range anywhere from, "I'm using 22.80 and it works fine for me..." to "Its SoundBlaster Live!" or "Reduce your AGP to 2x and disable this and tweak that..."

The truth: Its the AGP bridge in Windows XP. Period. After allllll the research I've done on this, it comes down to one thing: Microsoft needs to fix the code for the AGP bridge. Plain and simple. Granted, nVidia could shed some light on this for them since it only seems to effect nVidia-based chipsets, but there's not much nVidia can really do about it since its a core component of Microsoft's XP OS.

Its not VIA (which seems to the be the popular myth at the moment). Its not nVidia's drivers (any of them). Its got nothing to do with SoundBlaster at all... its Microsoft straight up.

Anyway, the only real fix is to remove the AGP bridge altogether. Sure, it sucks hard, I know... but it beats lockups and BSODs. With the huge outcry to get this fixed to nVidia and Microsoft, I'm sure a patch is in the works.

BTW It's not only Nvidia cards that have the problem, im having the problem on a PowerVR Kyro II although with their last driver release the problem has been reduced by a lot

- adam

• 3 weeks later...

I found an easier fix for my VIA chipset. I downloaded and installed VAGP410 and also installed the latest 4 in 1 driver from VIA and walla.. my BSOD went away and I still can use my AGP 4x and everything else fine.

Don't believe everything you read unless you've tried it yourself. I didn't believe and I was able to fix and improve the performance on my pc by updating some drivers.

WHOA... I didn't realise so many people had BSOD's! Nvidia 'seems' to be the king of the BSOD, but then again they have sold more graphics cards that any other manufacturer and MOST computers, if they ship with a graphics card, use Nvidia. I don't see that many Radeon's shipping with computers off the shelf.

Also, VIA get a lot of flak... I've not had problems, but then I try and avoid touching their daily release of 4-in-1 updates. :p