"print spooler service is not running"

I can no longer print to my network printer (using XP Pro on the desktop and Home on the networked laptops. It used to work, don't know why it stopped working.

My printer (Brother MFC-3240C) shows up in the Control Panel > Printer/Faxes folder. But if I right click>Properties on one of the networked computers I get the error "Printer properties cannot be displayed. The print spooler service is not running."

I checked under Adminstrative Tools>Services and found that the print spooler is in fact running (started) on all computers and is set to 'Automatic' to run at boot up. So I don't know why I get that message.

I also am not able to re-add this printer with the Add Printer Wizard, when I browse for the printer it doesn't show up on the network so I can't select it and click 'next'. My internet connection works fine among all the networked computers so shouldn't the printer be detected on the same network?

When I try a test print I get an 'Unable to connect' or 'Unable to open' message.

I already Googled this issue but didn't find an answer.

I've already updated the firmware and am already using the latest drivers.

I just..I mean JUST had this problem yesterday

I disabled any firewalls, connected to the printer, then re-enabled firewall. All better.

yeah, make sure the built in Win XP Firewall is off...I swear to god that thing causes me more problems than anything else.

I've run into the same problem, make sure it's turned off and then try again. Also, restart the Spooler Service is need be.

I feel like an idiot, I should've thought of that myself! In fact I got it half right because I had disabled the firewall on my laptop but not on my Desktop PC to which the printer is attached. Duh!

But now another glitch. I'm using Zone Alarm (free version), and when I disabled Zone Alarm I was able to print but as soon as I re-enabled it I was again not able to print. I noticed that ZA was set to 'high' which doesn't allow sharing. I set it too 'medium' for both the 'trusted zone' and 'internet zone' but was still not able to connect to my printer.

I could only print with it set on 'low' (off!). I guess I'll just have to dump ZA and go with the Windows firewall?

• 5 years later...

i couldn't print from a remote, although the print spooler was running. it was a network printer, but i could print a test page from the print server. when i tried to print from the remote i got the following message:

printer properties cannot be displayed. the print spooler service is not running.

i downloaded trendmicro's housecall

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

i chose the Download HouseCall 7.2 Beta (32-bit)

the file HousecallLauncher downloaded to my documents\downloads, and i ran it. it found:

afd.exe

and fixed it. problem solved. thanks trendmicro

• 2 weeks later...

i couldn't print from a remote, although the print spooler was running. it was a network printer, but i could print a test page from the print server. when i tried to print from the remote i got the following message:

printer properties cannot be displayed. the print spooler service is not running.

i downloaded trendmicro's housecall

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

i chose the Download HouseCall 7.2 Beta (32-bit)

the file HousecallLauncher downloaded to my documents\downloads, and i ran it. it found:

afd.exe

and fixed it. problem solved. thanks trendmicro

You do realize that the thread is 6 years old. You can use process monitor to search for a fix.