DS Lites Are Cracking Up Like Mad

Worrying about dead pixels in portables is so 2005. This year, all the kids fret about cracked hinges. Multiple forum members at game site MaxConsole are stepping forward, saying that their DS Lites have been breaking:

"I treated my DS lite like a baby, heck I even used a Nintendo brand case. I called Nintendo about 3 days ago and the rep said he won't take it back because the warranty does not cover cracks and the guy said it must have been my fault and he could have it repaired for $50 (because its still under warranty). I grumbled to him and finally said I'd live with it. "

Hinge cracks have been reported in Lites from the US, Japan and Europe.

190079718_2e4f102049_m.jpg

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ds-lite/ds-li...-mad-187672.php

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=24439

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessag...;topic=29283088

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/...sage.id=2471802

:(

suxors...

is this happening to a specific batch? is it only US devices? or european also? i have mine since june 22nd (yes! 1 day before official eu launch :D) and haven't noticed the crack so far... have been playing on it on a daily basis... sure hope the store where i got it will just replace in stead of calling nintendo first...

isn't this somewhat like the ipod nanos getting their screens cracked? were those replaced by apple? if so, then maybe we have an argument for nintendo...

Mine hasn't cracked, imported in April.

And I don't really baby it.

I'm thinking there might be a new issue, perhaps related to attempting to speed up production, if not a problem with one batch - since my April unit is likely to be very early in the production.

Mine is good, but dang that looks awful.

I don't "baby" mine either. Warrenties very rarely cover "cracks." Manufacturers can just say you dropped the device or sat on it, and it is just your word against theirs.

Yup, I have no crack on mine, and I don't treat it like a new born... Got mine on June 2. Maybe it is just from a certain manufacturing batch, that's something someone should investigate: when these people with cracked DSs bought them.

I've been keeping a close eye on that left hinge since I read about this. It's starting to crack!! I've been VERY careful closing and opening it. If this isn't a design flaw than color me pink! If it does crack Nintendo is getting a piece of my mind ~_~

oh man....I am in canada, just checked my girlfriends's ds lite, same exact crack as in pics posted around the net :(

I advised her to exchange it at wal-mart :) lol or better yet, go for "older" ds version, maybe nice blue color and save 10 bucks, LOL, I dunno

I've only opened it 180 a couple times, not enough to make it break though, it shouldn't have :(

I just looked at my left hinge real closely and see a hair-line crack starting to form :(

This is ridiculous, Nintendo. I could handle the touch screen having a yellowish tint on full "white" frames... I was ok with the L & R buttons turning yellow. But this is too far.

I've started telling people to stay away from this cheap piece of hardware. If this is how it is in less then a month of me having it, then in a year it is going to be completely worthless.

I think it is because when it clicks into place when you are opening it, the left hinge is where all that force is concentrated. Click it a few times and hold it up to a light.

I wonder how long until the right hinge starts to crack. My guess is another month or two.

Actually, i think i may be able to connect some strain gauges and take some data...

I just looked at my left hinge real closely and see a hair-line crack starting to form :(

same here, I just noticed a small crack in the left hinge.

wow this makes me angry.........

Once they realize how widespread the issue is, Nintendo will make good on this.

still, everyone should call their customer support once it has cracked or else they will never see it as an issue.