DS Lites Are Cracking Up Like Mad

To be honest, I think they're aware of it now and are probably just scrambling to fix the problem in their factory/factories before coming out with a statement saying you can get a free replacement if it bothers you. That might be wishful thinking however. Right now their stance is to charge you $50 to fix their mistake of using cheap plastic in the hinge. I was just about to buy one too.

To be honest, I think they're aware of it now and are probably just scrambling to fix the problem in their factory/factories before coming out with a statement saying you can get a free replacement if it bothers you. That might be wishful thinking however. Right now their stance is to charge you $50 to fix their mistake of using cheap plastic in the hinge. I was just about to buy one too.

But until they make an official statement everyone should still call in. Don't think that free replacements are coming just because everyone thinks they are and it being so wide spread. Please call their support about the issue (if you do really have it) and hopefully we will get an official statement from Nintendo on what they are going to do.

But until they make an official statement everyone should still call in. Don't think that free replacements are coming just because everyone thinks they are and it being so wide spread. Please call their support about the issue (if you do really have it) and hopefully we will get an official statement from Nintendo on what they are going to do.

Yep, everyone who has this problem should still contact Nintendo right away.

So when this happens does it effect the unit at all (as far as the screen staying in place and whatnot) or does it just look like crap?

According to many posts, it does not effect the unit at all, and it's kinda hard to notice it's even there if u are not intentinally looking at it.

And for those of you who saw a small crack on it, are u sure it's the actual crack? It could be the plastic melding point, look at the right hinge, there should be a horizontal crack like line too.

So when this happens does it effect the unit at all (as far as the screen staying in place and whatnot) or does it just look like crap?

At first it'll just be cosmetic, but over time it could get worse and loosen the top screen on one side.

And for those of you who saw a small crack on it, are u sure it's the actual crack? It could be the plastic melding point, look at the right hinge, there should be a horizontal crack like line too.

Look at some pictures around, it's a crack. The size varies between units, but a small line could end up getting bigger the more you open the DS.

Look at some pictures around, it's a crack. The size varies between units, but a small line could end up getting bigger the more you open the DS.

I know those are cracks in the pictures, but I was just wondering if people see the normal line as the crack.

I know those are cracks in the pictures, but I was just wondering if people see the normal line as the crack.

no, it is a hair line crack that looks like it is going to get worse with time :(

At first it'll just be cosmetic, but over time it could get worse and loosen the top screen on one side.

Exactly. You can expect something like this happening after 3-5 years of use, not less then a month for a whole lot of people. Just search google for it, people are bitching about it everywhere.

ok.... 2 things

1- it seems to affect the majority of the units. It thus can be possible to get a class action out of this. One of you could start a petition and getting names ,etc.

2- For all of you that sees a hair line crack! PLEASE do not use it anymore. This hair line crack is a very good evidence of material failure. It proves that the unit is cracking due to stress and not due to "excessive use".

Anyway, good luck to anyone who owns a DS lite.

You might be able to put superglue in that crack and pull it back together.

I think people should not do anything. Nintendo will hopefully change their position on the matter and start replacing defective units, hopefully with non-defective ones. If you send back your DS Lite with super glue on it, they may not replace yours saying that you tampered with it.

Here is a picture I took under the microscope of my DS Lite.

That is the Left hinge where everyone is having problems. As you can see, a crack is starting to form. I have never dropped the device. Has anyone had any problems with the right hinge yet?

Has any major news sources released a story yet? I think once the news media jumps on board and starts reporting the problem it will put a TON of pressure on Nintendo to do something about it because they can't afford a sales drop.

post-7162-1153329213_thumb.jpg

I've never understood why companies insist on making electronics that fold/hinge and then use PLASTIC at these stress points!!!!!...... cell phones, laptops also have this problem.... My dell laptop is having a similar issue and of course it's out of warranty now. This is also the reason i stay away from flip phones.. I just don't like moving electronics if there are other alternatives, such as a nice basic bar phone.

The answer for Nintendo would probably be to make a DS ULTRA lite . market it .. and some how convince all customers that bought the DS lite , that the new DS ULTRA lite is waaay better, has a sharper screen, microwaves food for you, etc.

I know it would cost more money to manufactuer these hinges out of aluminium or some other metal that would never crack, but really when it comes to moving parts, plastic is NOT the way to go. It upsets me that corporations don't really care about this, they'll just continue hashing out new versions of the same product and never actually build a product that lasts. Why would they when they can sell the same product to you 2, 3 times , before you are the wiser.

Don't let nintendo get away with this. CALL THEM! Bitch, complain .. make them listen!

Just checked my DS Lite, can't see any cracks on either hinge. I've got a black DS Lite, not sure if there are any material differences between the black and the white... it seems to be the white DS Lites that are suffering with this issue.

Edited by ReAnimation

I've never understood why companies insist on making electronics that fold/hinge and then use PLASTIC at these stress points!!!!!...... cell phones, laptops also have this problem.... My dell laptop is having a similar issue and of course it's out of warranty now. This is also the reason i stay away from flip phones.. I just don't like moving electronics if there are other alternatives, such as a nice basic bar phone.

The answer for Nintendo would probably be to make a DS ULTRA lite . market it .. and some how convince all customers that bought the DS lite , that the new DS ULTRA lite is waaay better, has a sharper screen, microwaves food for you, etc.

I know it would cost more money to manufactuer these hinges out of aluminium or some other metal that would never crack, but really when it comes to moving parts, plastic is NOT the way to go. It upsets me that corporations don't really care about this, they'll just continue hashing out new versions of the same product and never actually build a product that lasts. Why would they when they can sell the same product to you 2, 3 times , before you are the wiser.

Don't let nintendo get away with this. CALL THEM! Bitch, complain .. make them listen!

I agree...Plastic is definitly not the way to go with these things. Still, this type of wear and tear is usual after a couple of years, not after a couple of weeks.

Wow Shad, how do u take a picture with that magnification?

At my work we have a 60X microscope w/ a 5 megapixel microscope camera connected to a computer dedicated to taking those kind of shots :D

That is a little less then 20X. I could throw some measurements on there too if you want. We will know exactly how long, wide, and the area of the crack in microns and microns^2.

Looks like someone isn't working at work rather playing his DS =P

I could mark my time as "Research and Development" as I learn how to use this Microscope :shiftyninja:

Could it be that you guys put too much pressure on one side when opening the lid? I always open the lib by grabbing it in the front side's center and it hasn't cracked.

Could it be that you guys put too much pressure on one side when opening the lid? I always open the lib by grabbing it in the front side's center and it hasn't cracked.

keep watching it. Seriously, when this thread started I didn't have any crack, and about a day and half later I started to see one form. The problem is so wide spread that I think all ds lites that came off the polar white assembly line are affected.

Look, there shouldn't be a magical way of opening the device. It should be straight forward and obvious. This is meant to be a kid's toy for christ's sake.

I just noticed a small, very thin crack forming on my left hinge as well... it's almost half-way across the DS-Lite... :\

I got mine June 11th, just to let you know.

Ooooh I really shouldn't have shook the DS and cause the screen to go to 180 when I died in new super mario bros... Haven't really checked to see if it's cracking.