[HELP] Ubuntu Install

Hello! I know nothing of any *nix stuff, so know that :p . I would like to give Ubuntu 6.06 a try. It looks to be simple to use and [hopefully] easy to install. I am on a Windows XP Home PC, so... if you guys could help me install [if its difficult] and get it up and running that would be great. Its downloading right now, 43%...

Nero burned the iso first time (in fact its always burned them first time) - although i dont burn at maximum - too many coasters :D

The installation is easy, if you take your time. Read each page carefully, and if you dont understand anything, leave it (no, it wont die if you leave it for a min), come back here, and im sure one of the linux n00bs on here will help :D

Nero burned the iso first time (in fact its always burned them first time) - although i dont burn at maximum - too many coasters :D

The installation is easy, if you take your time. Read each page carefully, and if you dont understand anything, leave it (no, it wont die if you leave it for a min), come back here, and im sure one of the linux n00bs on here will help :D

Although, if you struggle, maybe try SuSE - it has a full graphical installer, which is point and click, like installing a program on windows

• 3 weeks later...

easy as pie ;) im using ubuntu 6.06 atm if i can find msn for it i might think of making a perm switch from XP :)

Gaim and aMSN are the only two I know of, but I'd assume there are at least some more MSN-clients for Linux.

i used nero to burn isos. install is easy enough if you have done a clean windows install. i dual boot ubuntu at home, works like a charm.

shouldn't this thread go in *nix Customization & Support and not where it is now.

i use nero to burn images and daemon to emulate it, didnt had any problems, during the installation the only problem i had was i didnt set a swap partition lol so i had to reinstall and make it, no errors but was slower without it, dont worry if it goes slow after u install it, i got ubuntu working faster after i installed some programs and scripts.

• 5 months later...

whenever i try to install ubuntu it tells me that my GDM is setup correctly and to fix it before installing again... what is GDM and how do i "fix" it so i can run ubuntu. fedora 4 and 5 have been the only distros of linux i have ever gotten to function.

This thread was moved here from Completed *nix HOWTO & FAQs...... however, it is very old. Therefore, it is time to close this dinosaur.

Thread Closed