Apple OSX Leopard

Hello,

I'm thinking of picking up a Macbook Pro this weekend, and I just heard about OSX Leopard being previewed at the WWDC.

When is Leopard due out? Also, like most software, when released, there are bound to be some minor errors here and there, so when would a completely stable version of Leopard be in stores? Also, the MacBook Pro comes with iLife, so will I get to keep my iLife package when I upgrade to Leopard?

Thanks,

- dr. azo

Leopard is due out in early 2007, probably around the same time as Windows Vista.

Leopard will be in stores at the same time, whenever it's announced? It'll be fine to use on 10.5.0 until an update which usually comes out soon (take a look at 10.4.1 and .2, etc to see).

Leopard is just the OS. When you buy OS X (separately), assuming you are upgrading as you say, you get to keep your iLife version and all other software. Leopard is simply the OS. However if you buy a completely new hardware bundle after the launch of Leopard, say the MacBook Pro (with Merom or upgraded CPU in 2007), then you will get iLife '07 (if that comes out by then) and Leopard "free" as it is included with the shipped hardware.

A completely stable version will be out on the day Leopard is released. Yes, every software has its errors here and there but Apple aren't going to release an unstable next gen OS when they are supposed to be showing the world how OS X is burying Windows.

A completely stable version will be out on the day Leopard is released. Yes, every software has its errors here and there but Apple aren't going to release an unstable next gen OS when they are supposed to be showing the world how OS X is burying Windows.

How soon we forget OS X 10.0.

Rip, kernel panic, mix, reboot into OS 9, burn.

I suspect we will see Leopard in January 2007, along with iLife '07 and iWork '07. Apple would love to steal some thunder from Microsoft's Vista launch by getting to the market first.

I can't wait to see the preview of it next month though. Supposedly it is going to be a pretty large update.

I'm thinking the same. They wouldn't let Microsoft steal the show first (even if their OS is better, IMO :D). Better to let Apple come out first and then see what MS does in response.

Wouldn't it be great if Leopard gets demoed at WWDC, then released at say MacWorld with iLife and iWork '07 updates at the same time. Plus hardware updates too. :yes:

The funny thing is that a lot of people were saying that Vista would be comparable to Tiger. I guess that if Apple get Leopard out first then they will have definately set the benchmark of what a desktop OS should be.

I think Apple is probably aiming to release Leopard just AFTER Vista, not before. If they release before, as soon as Vista is released, every news site and forum will be blasted with Vista news and reviews, and anything about Leopard will simply get buried. If Apple releases Leopard a few days after Vista is released and things have settled down just a bit, they may just be able to pull off the opposite (bury the Vista news with Leopard coverage).

Macs (generally) come with two discs, one labelled "OS X Restore Disc" (or something), which contains OS X, and a second disc, labelled "Bundled Software", which contains everything else. If you were to buy and then do a clean install of Leopard, you'd only need to insert your "Bundled Software" CD to get iLife '06 installed.

I'm looking forward to iWork '07, I was put off by '06 because it can't export to MS Office files very well, hopefully this will be better in '07.

The funny thing is that a lot of people were saying that Vista would be comparable to Tiger. I guess that if Apple get Leopard out first then they will have definately set the benchmark of what a desktop OS should be.

Personally I think whats available now is more important, because most people wont care about products they can't use yet.

OSX to XP

vista to leopard

would it be worth it to wait for the new ilife and version of osx since you dont have to pay for it if i am thinking about buying a macbook in the next month or two?

yes, cpu upgrade to intel core 2 duo

I am doubting this will happen soon though. Possibly a silent rollout if they do it this soon. Otherwise it will most likely wait until January-ish.

would it be worth it to wait for the new ilife and version of osx since you dont have to pay for it if i am thinking about buying a macbook in the next month or two?

Well, if you feel that you can wait 5 or 6 months, then wait. Otherwise, go ahead and buy the system now and plan to upgrade to Leopard later.

The MacBook will not be getting Merom for quite some time, and any significant update in the near future is unlikely - the MacBook's are only a month old for Christs sake. And those of you asking whether to buy now or not, stop being so stupid - like roadwarrior said, if you feel that you can wait until January for Leopard and iLife, then wait - otherwise, buy now and upgrade later. Both Leopard and iLife will have bugs at first; it seems more practical to buy now since Tiger and iLife '06 are stable.

I going to go out on a limb here and say Apple will try to release OS X.5 before January, to undermine Microsoft and their Vista.

This is my thinking too.. they can't help but have noticed the amount of public discussion about Vista (and its slipped release date, general community unrest about it, etc) - what better way to try and signal your dominance by putting every resource you have into getting YOUR OS out the door faster than the competitions?

I'd be surprised if Apple don't really try and bust their backs to get an early release of Leopard out... but I just hope the quality doesn't suffer if they do!

This is my thinking too.. they can't help but have noticed the amount of public discussion about Vista (and its slipped release date, general community unrest about it, etc) - what better way to try and signal your dominance by putting every resource you have into getting YOUR OS out the door faster than the competitions?

Not to be all non-serious about this discussion, but its almost safe to say that no matter when Apple releases 10.5, it will be before Vista is released... :shiftyninja:

The MacBook will not be getting Merom for quite some time, and any significant update in the near future is unlikely - the MacBook's are only a month old for Christs sake. And those of you asking whether to buy now or not, stop being so stupid - like roadwarrior said, if you feel that you can wait until January for Leopard and iLife, then wait - otherwise, buy now and upgrade later. Both Leopard and iLife will have bugs at first; it seems more practical to buy now since Tiger and iLife '06 are stable.

Pretty much my standard reply to 'should I buy a..." In my opinion, it isn't worth waiting for an OS update to buy a Mac. You aren't saving a whole heck of a lot of money by waiting. If you need/want something now, buy now. If you must have the latest and greatest computer, you'll always be waiting.

Not to be all non-serious about this discussion, but its almost safe to say that no matter when Apple releases 10.5, it will be before Vista is released... :shiftyninja:

Nice. (Y)