Apple OSX Leopard

Personally I think whats available now is more important, because most people wont care about products they can't use yet.

OSX to XP

vista to leopard

I like to think of it, technology-wise, as this...

Vista is to Tiger

Next Gen Windows is Leopard

I love my Windows box, but Apple is on the leading edge for the mainstream consumer. No question.

Hey,

Well, I picked up a MacBook Pro...the guys at the Apple Store are telling me that they aren't sure if the processors on laptops will be released with the Intel Core Duo 2 Processor...they're telling me that it'll only be for the desktops.

If this is true, will my MacBook Pro still be supported (and not discontinued) by Apple?

Thanks,

- dr. azo

Hey,

Well, I picked up a MacBook Pro...the guys at the Apple Store are telling me that they aren't sure if the processors on laptops will be released with the Intel Core Duo 2 Processor...they're telling me that it'll only be for the desktops.

If this is true, will my MacBook Pro still be supported (and not discontinued) by Apple?

Thanks,

- dr. azo

Well, when the MBPs are upgraded, they'll probably stop selling the older version. It doesn't mean they won't be supported anymore. The PPC macs will still be supported for several more years. Even the hardware (think people with service plans).

I like to think of it, technology-wise, as this...

Vista is to Tiger

Next Gen Windows is Leopard

I love my Windows box, but Apple is on the leading edge for the mainstream consumer. No question.

so you are saying that an upgrade to OSX is going to be comparable to the change between xp and vista. if you believe that then you are deluded. xp is so old they could have released something significantly worse than vista and it would be a bigger jump than leopard is from tiger.

Better to let Apple come out first and then see what MS does in response.

Not to troll, but: MS will be like: look at that feature they've got - let's add that too! - and will push Vista release even further...

It'll be added in the next release after Vista, since Vista is catching up to Tiger now (seach technology/Spotlight, "gadgets"/widgets).

Whatever Leopard has, Vista R2 (after Vista) will have probably.

Pretty much my standard reply to 'should I buy a..." In my opinion, it isn't worth waiting for an OS update to buy a Mac. You aren't saving a whole heck of a lot of money by waiting. If you need/want something now, buy now. If you must have the latest and greatest computer, you'll always be waiting.

Nice. (Y)

I agree with the "If you need/want something now, buy now" statement. However, Apple is not Dell, and they quite often bind new hardware features with a newer OS (say, Sudden Motion Sensor, which I don't have in my 2004 12"PowerBook). Also, they often update their hardware as well (I'd be ****ed off if I bought an iSight in Jan-Feb and next week/month a refreshed line offered it as standard.

Generally my stance on this is:

1. Don't buy rev. A hardware (which it is now)

2. Get a new machine after an OS refresh to benefit from new features

Now, you can disregard these points if you are in an ablolutely desperate need to get new hardware. Otherwise, follow those and you'll be happy.

It'll be added in the next release after Vista, since Vista is catching up to Tiger now (seach technology/Spotlight, "gadgets"/widgets).

Whatever Leopard has, Vista R2 (after Vista) will have probably.

or what MS also calls a Service Pack.

^ haha nah Service Packs just include security updates and cumulative fixes etc. SP2 was a big one though since it added "features" (if you call it that?) to XP.

I don't see MS adding new (real?) features to Vista SP1 (when that comes) but I guess anything's possible. By that time Leopard might be at 10.6.5 or something... :D

so you are saying that an upgrade to OSX is going to be comparable to the change between xp and vista. if you believe that then you are deluded. xp is so old they could have released something significantly worse than vista and it would be a bigger jump than leopard is from tiger.

How can you say that when no information about the features of Leopard are available?

Leopard could be a minor upgrade or it could be as significant a jump as say...10.3 to 10.4, or 10.2 to 10.4. Just because it's still called OS X doesn't mean every 10.x upgrade will be minor. I think you need to learn more about OS X.

I agree with the "If you need/want something now, buy now" statement. However, Apple is not Dell, and they quite often bind new hardware features with a newer OS (say, Sudden Motion Sensor, which I don't have in my 2004 12"PowerBook). Also, they often update their hardware as well (I'd be ****ed off if I bought an iSight in Jan-Feb and next week/month a refreshed line offered it as standard.

Generally my stance on this is:

1. Don't buy rev. A hardware (which it is now)

2. Get a new machine after an OS refresh to benefit from new features

Now, you can disregard these points if you are in an ablolutely desperate need to get new hardware. Otherwise, follow those and you'll be happy.

or what MS also calls a Service Pack.

Apple RARELY binds new hardware features with a new OS. They don't do it because it leaves the majority of their market base in the cold. The motion sensor is hardly anything to write home about.

I'm not talking about updating hardware. He asked if he should wait until the next OS update is released to buy a new Mac. If you base your purchase time-frame upon new hardware releases, you'll always be waiting. The only real reason to wait until an OS update to buy new hardware is to save 100 dollars.

Oh damn.. 2007... I thought it'd be out like.. in october/november, because what they present at WWDC is beta and contains just a few bugs (or at least it looks like it)

Anyone knows what the next iMac 20" is gonna be? ;) I might buy one if it has the new Conroe processor, 1GB of RAM, and I will wait until it includes Leopard.. what I know is that the memory of the next iMac is most likely going to stay at 667 mhz :(

I just can't wait until Leopard though, it looks 1000000000000000000000x more promising than Vi$ta

Anyone knows what the next iMac 20" is gonna be?

As it turns out, Apple has broken a two decade long tradition of not saying a god damn thing about future products by telling one Neowin forum poster all the details about their upcoming consumer line-up.

Let's all wait until that lucky soul spills those secrets to the rest of us. Everybody, hold your breath on 3.

1?2?3!

Right...

Check that video out and see why I am saying that :

It's a joke video but there's a nice message behind it...

90% of what Vista can do is already in Mac OS 10.4

Considering Leopard will be an upgrade as big as Tiger and that Intel people are going to have a good boost of speeeeeeeeed, I can't see how Vista can beat that. All I wanna see now is the WWDC conference on www.apple.com and I'm gonna download it on August 12 :p

I don't actually need an iMac now though, because I have one in the other room. In mine, I have a PC and I managed to do something with it temporarily (...) but it isn't as good as I expected... This is why I am waiting for an OS upgrade... my pay isn't really that big, school is starting soon so I will work less, and if I can save a good 125 CAD, I will do so :) I agree that we'll always be waiting to have the best computer ever though... there's always something coming out in the near future that is at least just a little better than what we have now.

Considering Leopard will be an upgrade as big as Tiger

How can you say that? No details of Leopard are known other than it is the next step after Tiger.

I just can't wait until Leopard though, it looks 1000000000000000000000x more promising than Vi$ta

Considering Leopard will be an upgrade as big as Tiger

You're just making more and more stuff up as you go along huh?

Apart from the fact Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will include a final version of Boot Camp we don't know anything about what the upcoming version will feature. Yet you state the above things like they're the undeniable truth.

Edited by Neowave

[...] when they are supposed to be showing the world how OS X is burying Windows.

Hahahaha...Dude, you need a reality check. OSX isn't gaining ground fast enough to bury anything. Sure, it's a nice alternative to Windows, but for the average consumer, the PC+Windows still completely dominates Mac+OSX. And that's a feat considering Windows hasn't had a complete new version for 5 years, whereas OSX updates every year.

The fact is, for most intents and purposes (the average consumer), stuff can be done as well on a PC+Windows, for far cheaper. That's why I still don't have a Mac. I like Macs, don't get me wrong - I think they look and feel excellent when I get a chance to toy with them, but I can't justify spending the money on one when I can do the same stuff just as well, and then some (gaming, anyone?) on my PC, and do it for far cheaper a price.

-Spenser

I meant burying in terms of features and overall quality not copies sold.

Quality, maybe. But saying OSX will bury Windows in terms of features, that is quite unsubstantiated. Exactly what are these features?