[us] THE $2000 car?

What's the best way to get THE perfect $2000 car for a college student? I know it won't be at all new or beautiful, but what's the best way to go about finding one locally (so I can have it checked out by mechanics)?

Auto Trader, or cruise around your area in a radius of 50 miles or so. You will be amazed what you'll find sitting in some old lady's driveway with a "For Sale" sign on it.

Don't buy from a dealership. You pay a premium. Kind of like a finders fee.

You'll likely get the best deal from someone just looking to sell their car privately. For $2000 your best bet is a '85-'91 Honda. High mileage is ok as they hold up better than most when it comes to age. If you come across someone wanting $2000-$3000, offer them $2000 cash. Chances are they will take it.

As always, take it for a spin for a couple hours. Check the engine, listen for wierd noises, etc. If you don't know what you're doing, find someone who does and won't mind riding with you for a couple hours to listen and look for problems.

The best way to get a car like that is on Cars.com

i found a 1995 turbo charged sabb for 1500$ with only 80K miles.

the only problem was. it was missing the turbo..:p

The best way to get a car like that is on Cars.com

i found a 1995 turbo charged sabb for 1500$ with only 80K miles.

the only problem was. it was missing the turbo..:p

Getting some GREAT stuff--only 4 miles away!

autotrader.com 4tw. Ive used cars.com but find, alot of the times their info is incorrect, they also dont give enough information.

I would recommend taking any car you plan on purchasing to a local mechanic before you buy the car. It will cost you roughly $100.00 but spending $100.00 up front is better then spending $1300.00 in 3 months for major repairs. If the seller doesn't want the car to be taken to a mechanic then he is more then likely hiding something.

The best way to find a cheap $2000 car, is to know someone who wants to sell a car. Everyone will try to make a profit, but if you find a friend, or a friend of a friend. That's your best bet. Finding them is hard though.

I would recommend taking any car you plan on purchasing to a local mechanic before you buy the car. It will cost you roughly $100.00 but spending $100.00 up front is better then spending $1300.00 in 3 months for major repairs. If the seller doesn't want the car to be taken to a mechanic then he is more then likely hiding something.

Right on. Great idea. How does one take the car to the mechanic? Do I have the seller take it? Do I take it but give some sort of deposit?

just a small tip..

whatever car you buy, tell the person you bought it for to report the sales price real low so you dont have to pay that much in taxes.. so if the deal is $3k, tell him to report it for $1,500 for the dmv..

i don't know if it's illegal here, but people do it all the time. :p

Right on. Great idea. How does one take the car to the mechanic? Do I have the seller take it? Do I take it but give some sort of deposit?

Depends on the seller. I would suggest you accompany him to the mechanic when you go.