Monthly Competition?

Fellow photographers!

I was wondering why not start a monthly competition, as we have plenty of talented and creative photographers here! Not only that, but it would also help us improve our hobby / job / talent if we're all able to give reasonable and sensible criticism on entries!

Now ofcourse no competition can go on for free, so I'm willing to give $10 to whoever wins each month - but please remember that money doesn't come from anywhere so donations (once the competitions gotten going) will be more than welcome, and can be monitored in another thread - so we know who has contributed how much etc. and that none goes missing.

I also wouldn't mind a NW staffer being in charge of that (Possibly Frank? As of what he tried to organise on NW Bay, about the hold item until payment received thing).

Anyway ofcourse we'd need rules, and here's what I've got so far:

• Must not stray from competitions theme (e.g. Summer, cannot have images of a christmas tree...)
  • Must be your own original work, no one elses!
  • No modifications allowed, apart from a bit of tweaking in Photoshop
  • Images must be a minimum resolution of ??? (suggestions welcome)
  • Images may contain borders
  • Have fun!

Please feel free to add suggestions, as this is just a brief basis as to where to start!

Kind Rgds,

Ian.

pretty good idea...it'd mean I have to dig out the negative scanner or just normally scan in my photographs (the new nikon might soon be mine...if it has the right features)

That sounds like a good idea

I don't think there needs to be a minimum resolution personly

Photos must be taken the month of the competition

That sounds like a good idea

I don't think there needs to be a minimum resolution personly

Photos must be taken the month of the competition

ya, minimum resolution's a bad idea, especially for us going from film who might need to scan with a scanner :p

Don't know how I could prove a pic was just taken that month though...hmm...

A competition is an excellent idea, however I don't think there should be any money involved... surely the fact that a person won the competition for a particular month would be enough of a prize :)

Another thing to consider, how will the winning photograph be judged? Will there be one person selecting the winner, or will it be done by poll? (or another method).

Well I guess about "proving" when the picture was taken we can just try to use a bit of trust :p. As for the money *shrug* how about instead then we donate it to a charity of the persons choice? I just think it would be a little bit more of an icentive for people to participate :)

As for judging, that's a good point I'm not to sure really - I'm thinking a poll. But would be able to do that poll on Neowin as people could vote for themselves with multiple accounts (not saying they would... but you know :p) so maybe an external system where you choose your 3 favourite?

I'm not to sure! Someone feel free to offer a suggestion :D

Well I guess about "proving" when the picture was taken we can just try to use a bit of trust :p. As for the money *shrug* how about instead then we donate it to a charity of the persons choice? I just think it would be a little bit more of an icentive for people to participate :)

As for judging, that's a good point I'm not to sure really - I'm thinking a poll. But would be able to do that poll on Neowin as people could vote for themselves with multiple accounts (not saying they would... but you know :p) so maybe an external system where you choose your 3 favourite?

I'm not to sure! Someone feel free to offer a suggestion :D

Well how about buying subscriptions @ neowin and giving them out to the first place? Or maybe we could ask on of the high ranks if the winning picture can get posted in the front page.

however images should have a minimum resolutions restriction on how small it can be.

Overall I think it's a good idea, we just have to get our act together

ya, minimum resolution's a bad idea, especially for us going from film who might need to scan with a scanner :p

Don't know how I could prove a pic was just taken that month though...hmm...

I agree there should be no mimimum resolution, but alas, this is the Digital Camera Lab section of NW. I would think that the only entrants should be those using digital cameras. It's like having drag races with cars and then someone brings in a motorcycle.....

I think this is a great idea! We do need a mod or someone to help out. And who's judging? We need some kind of unbiased 3rd party.....

I agree there should be no mimimum resolution, but alas, this is the Digital Camera Lab section of NW. I would think that the only entrants should be those using digital cameras. It's like having drag races with cars and then someone brings in a motorcycle.....

I think this is a great idea! We do need a mod or someone to help out. And who's judging? We need some kind of unbiased 3rd party.....

yes...because neowin really has a film camera section...

Sounds like a great idea Milk, hopefully it will bring alive the Digital Camera Lab section too. Anyway, im all for it.

Even though digital cameras are wide-spread these days and lots of people have one, I still take my pictures with a analog SLR - mainly because I could get a decent one for just a couple of bucks.

I'd be glad to enter and have my film developped and scanned 16base, which translates to 3072 x 2048 pixels - 6291456 pixels. Resolution whise I'm SURE that must be sufficient - also the scan is directly off of the film itself...

Next to that, like someone stated before me, there is not film-section on neowin and you don't know how many entrants would be taking their shots with film... You might just miss a couple of nice pictures!

On a side note; how would you check if the pictures was scanned or taking with a digital camera anyhow?

That is a good idea. I would suggest to have 1 subject every month. Since not every ppl is skilled with photoshop, we could have 2 competition with the same subject. The first one would allow editing and the second w/o editing

my 2 cents

That is a good idea. I would suggest to have 1 subject every month. Since not every ppl is skilled with photoshop, we could have 2 competition with the same subject. The first one would allow editing and the second w/o editing

my 2 cents

good idea. I'm not planning on doing any editing...though really, it would be hard to verify none has been done.

I really like this idea, and I think scanned in film pictures should be allowed. Once they are scanned in, aren't they then digital :p

ok let me list a couple of rules. Note that some has been already stated by Milk

1. Monthly competition, so the pictures need to be taken during the actual month

2. There is no maximum size because there are so different cameras on the market. But they need to be 800x600 on the forum. Also, they need to be externally linked since the size will probably cap the maximum size allowed by the forum rule.

3. Both digital and film format allowed

4. The way to post the picture:

Author: Your forum name

Date: the date taken

Title: the title of your beauty

Camera: Nikon D50

Lens: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 (actual setting if you know them) Exemple: Sigma APO 70-300mm (100mm f/3.4)

----------

what do you think? Rules can be modified if you have some more ideas. Also, I can make a judge with 2 other persons (if you guys need me of course hehe).

More ideas? propositions?

Later with the final decisions and propositions from shooters, I will pin a new thread with the rules

I like this idea. We need to make judges and judging criteria so that contestants know what judges are looking for. Also should we have monthly themes? As for example one contest focusses on people, while another is plants or bugs etc...

I like this idea. We need to make judges and judging criteria so that contestants know what judges are looking for. Also should we have monthly themes? As for example one contest focusses on people, while another is plants or bugs etc...

I also think there should be monthly themes and as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't necessarily think there is a need for a cash prize, but I do like the idea of maybe the winning photo being posted on the front page or the winning photographer getting something like 3 months of subscription benefits or something.

I also like the idea of an edited and unedited catagory.

Hmm...

I think it's good enough to have one category, but just limit the effects/touch ups one is allowed to make. Personally I'd allow levels, curves and maybe the colorbalance to be edited a bit - Most of all should the picture look REAL. By having two categories you're going to have much more work... besides, it'd be a case of trusting people and having good faith as well as it's sometimes hard to tell, isn't it?

Also, I'd like to suggest that if this all works - it should get it's own subforum or something... then mods could make a topic with a round-up of the last month with a poll so people could vote and a poll for people to select the new theme from a given list, or just a topic where everyone suggest their ideas and maybe the winner of last month picks the next theme out of those suggestions...

As for prizes, I personally don't need 'em. It's nice and all, but I just want to compete and have a good time, the prestige is enough for me. Though if realizable, prizes would be awesome..

Although I wouldn't be entering this(I have a crap camera) :D , why should the picture have to have been taken that month? If the subject matter is appropriate does it really matter when it was done as long as it is your work?

Hmm...

I think it's good enough to have one category, but just limit the effects/touch ups one is allowed to make. Personally I'd allow levels, curves and maybe the colorbalance to be edited a bit - Most of all should the picture look REAL. By having two categories you're going to have much more work... besides, it'd be a case of trusting people and having good faith as well as it's sometimes hard to tell, isn't it?

Also, I'd like to suggest that if this all works - it should get it's own subforum or something... then mods could make a topic with a round-up of the last month with a poll so people could vote and a poll for people to select the new theme from a given list, or just a topic where everyone suggest their ideas and maybe the winner of last month picks the next theme out of those suggestions...

As for prizes, I personally don't need 'em. It's nice and all, but I just want to compete and have a good time, the prestige is enough for me. Though if realizable, prizes would be awesome..

Dunno bout the subforums but about the editing, yes good rules. Colors, curves, etc, thats fine. Even black and white filtering is cool. But like CG or heavy PS work should be a no no. As for the prizes I think having the winning picture on the front page would be just fine, like have it up there for that month, then the next winner get the following month. And we could have links to the 2nd and honorable mention winners.

For me, I'd have to say it's all or nothing. Either allow PS or don't. I can see too many people with the "you didn't tell me I couldn't do that" type attitude. If you want to judge true skill with a photograph, I'd say it has to be unaltered (besides the choice of color or B&W/sepia). You compose the shot, you judge the settings, and then take the picture. Your end result is what happens immediately after pushing the button. I think allowing PS or any kind of manipulation is just asking for trouble. Besides, how would the rest of us know how heavily an image had been manipulated?

I also agree that the "prize" should be either the sense in knowing that your peers have judged your work as excellent or having the picture posted on the main page of NW or something. I don't know that we need a monetary prize to denote good photographs from bad.

Also, one entry per participant per month or would multiple entries be allowed? I would think you'd only be allowed to enter one picture to be judged. Heck, that's part of the whole process, judging which pictures are "keepers" and which aren't.

Just my $.02.... :D

Just my $0.02. If you allow editing of a picture, the original should be posted too, so people can see what was changed / enhanced / altered etc.

For me, I'd have to say it's all or nothing. Either allow PS or don't. I can see too many people with the "you didn't tell me I couldn't do that" type attitude. If you want to judge true skill with a photograph, I'd say it has to be unaltered (besides the choice of color or B&W/sepia). You compose the shot, you judge the settings, and then take the picture. Your end result is what happens immediately after pushing the button. I think allowing PS or any kind of manipulation is just asking for trouble. Besides, how would the rest of us know how heavily an image had been manipulated?

That's why you should just have 3 or 4 basic methods of editing that should be allowed. Not clone-stamp tool, no patch tool etc.

I think being able to use curves/levels etc. gives me just that bit more control of how I want a picture to be... Maybe you accidentally over or underexposed for just one level of exposure, and through this you can still sort of 'save' a potential 'keeper'

That's just my opinion and I do understand your points of view, however just like you said; How would the rest of us know what has been edited? Well, you wouldn't know... If you're disallowing the use of any of these manipulations it'll still happen - maybe because they didn't read or maybe just because they think they won't be discovered anyhow... If you allow the mostly used features it's better I think...

Also it should be CLEAR that a picture should still remain a real/true look... If coulds go green and the water turns #0000FF then it's clearly altered etc.

edit; I forgot to suggest what DaveLegg did... people could/should include the original as well.