Monthly Competition?

the question I have for you Keito then, is where do you define the difference between a real look and an unreal one? I know I won't use photoshop at all, but that doesn't mean I can't make something funky looking with the use of filters.

Just my $0.02. If you allow editing of a picture, the original should be posted too, so people can see what was changed / enhanced / altered etc.

I like that!

Where are we with the taking of the picture in THAT month argument.

If somebody could outline all the rules so far....?

Also.. is there a mod about that will help?

Chris

the question I have for you Keito then, is where do you define the difference between a real look and an unreal one? I know I won't use photoshop at all, but that doesn't mean I can't make something funky looking with the use of filters.

For me there is a difference between what one can do with filters and what one can do with extreme color-balance management... Filters won't let you change colors of certain objects that dramatically and stuff like that

Surely, it's subjective and people will look at it differently all the time... Please note that I'm just saying what I think is right :) and I do have to say that there is no way to tell if it looks real of not, that's different from person to person I reckon.

Well if the rules are; only a little picture tweaking, i dont see the point posting the original, since if you were allowed to go crazy with photoshop then i can see the justice of an original, but just upping the contrast etc shouldnt really call for an original

These arguments are exactly why I was thinking that no altering would be the best thing to do. If you say no altering, that's it. It takes out all of the "grey area" that people could use to potentially make something from nothing. I agree that a good photographer understands and uses elements to adjust contrast/exposure/etc., but to make things simpler in judging, I'd go with unaltered images. So what if you underexpose/overexpose and image? You come back and try again until you get it right.

I'm really just thinking that some joker will come along and push the limits of "tweaking" and ruin this competition for the rest of us who are trying to enhance/perfect our skills. :cry:

Dieterich, I agree with ya but then again I can totally see myself taking a really good picture of something that is very dynamic like a plant or a bug or something, and having the exposure and the curves all out of whack. I dunno, but I think that perhaps we should just post the original in conjunction with an edited version like for exposure and what not. Then perhaps in the judging part, the changes can be taken into consideration as in well user one hardly had any edits, but user two has the better picture but had a lot. Editing could be part of the judging process.

in that case, we would judge more the photographer installed of his photoshop skills. I have to admit that I am a big ZERO with photoshop :)

ok I will prepare the pinned thread tomorrow with all the idea in here with a theme that we could choose.

Should I make a vote for the themes? or maybe grouping the judge before and only judges would give the theme?

By the way, you guys should give your idea of who could be judges

I think only a few judges, like 3 or 5 (uneven number to prevent split votes). The judges ideally wouldn't compete, but really, if there's more than just the one it shouldn't really matter anyways. I have no preferences over who is a judge. I know very few of you in this section.

Whats the deal with lens filters?

At first, I was basically fully against photoshop etc, but I use lens filters occasionally so how would that work.

I'm also against the photos having to be taken within that month. imo, I've taken a lot of, what I consider to be good photos and I would love the oppertunity to show them off if they fit into the correct catagory. I think that If its your work, what does it matter when It was taken?

Oh and I dont know whether its a stupid idea or not, but maybe one of the perks of winning would be to pick (in conference with the judges) the theme for the next month's competition?

Great, anyone feel like explaining what the monthly theme "paysage" means?

Is it French for landscape? I think good ol' English would be more appropriate in that case.

Edited by Grahnman

Great, anyone feel like explaining what the monthly theme "paysage" means?

Is it French for landscape? I think good ol' English would be more appropriate in that case.

Edited it to explain that :p

in that case, we would judge more the photographer installed of his photoshop skills. I have to admit that I am a big ZERO with photoshop :)

ok I will prepare the pinned thread tomorrow with all the idea in here with a theme that we could choose.

Should I make a vote for the themes? or maybe grouping the judge before and only judges would give the theme?

By the way, you guys should give your idea of who could be judges

Exactly. I think we SHOULD be judging the photographer and NOT Photoshop skills. I just think that PS is asking for trouble in the long run of this type of competition.

I also like the other idea thrown around of the month's winner picking the next month's theme.

EDIT: I just read the rules in the other post. What about B&W or can we only shoot color? Technically that IS editing....

I'd like to know if the picture has to be taken in the same month or can it be from sometime else... I actually do have a pic fitting the theme, but it's not from this month... it's from July 2005...

well, I'd really like for it to be kept to being necessary to be taken that month, kind of an encouragement to keep taking photos. However, it is hard to prove us people using film actually took a shot that month. I know I'm a man of my word, but others might not be, so it really should be open for all photos.

well, I'd really like for it to be kept to being necessary to be taken that month, kind of an encouragement to keep taking photos. However, it is hard to prove us people using film actually took a shot that month. I know I'm a man of my word, but others might not be, so it really should be open for all photos.

Even with digital it can be faked. But why should it be taken that month? Why can't you submit a picture you took a few months back if it fits the criteria?

well, I'd really like for it to be kept to being necessary to be taken that month, kind of an encouragement to keep taking photos.

What part of this statement was hard to understand? :D

Basically they're hoping to keep everyone active, not just posting old pictures they've got somewhere on their drive that was taken ages ago. It's a good idea. Keeps the mind sharp! :laugh:

What part of this statement was hard to understand? :D

Basically they're hoping to keep everyone active, not just posting old pictures they've got somewhere on their drive that was taken ages ago. It's a good idea. Keeps the mind sharp! :laugh:

Not really. What if you had a killer photo taken a couple of months back, and cannot recreate this month. Seems a shame to not have it used.

that's exactly it though...it doesn't put everybody on an even playing field. A lot of the people here haven't been shooting for long. Also you could have hundreds of killer photos of many different things, which could cover all topics. Just kinda makes it too advantageous IMHO. Though I'm not a judge so it's really not my call. Just seems more fair to everybody to not have it like that.

that's exactly it though...it doesn't put everybody on an even playing field. A lot of the people here haven't been shooting for long. Also you could have hundreds of killer photos of many different things, which could cover all topics. Just kinda makes it too advantageous IMHO. Though I'm not a judge so it's really not my call. Just seems more fair to everybody to not have it like that.

Why, if you took the photo, you took the photo. Doesn't matter when it was taken.

Questions:

Are we allowed to crop our photos?

Are we allowed to correct the white balance?

Does no editing mean "You can't use software like PS:Elements for things other than transferring photos from your camera to your computer."?

Can I have your DSLR camera? :hug_guy: :camera: :hug_girl: