• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Monthly Competition?

Pink Floyd    15

Great, anyone feel like explaining what the monthly theme "paysage" means?

Is it French for landscape? I think good ol' English would be more appropriate in that case.

paysage is french but also used in english in photography :)

but yeah, it's landscape picture.

peterish    2

This is an excellent idea and I would be all for it. In regards to the issues that have been brought up, I'd like to contribute some ideas pioneered by the website Digital Photography Challenge - a massive photography community with weekly themed contests just like the ones under discussion here.

-Some competitions would allow post-processing (Photoshopping), while some are 'Straight-From-Camera' only. Anyone is free to participate in any challenge; thereby satisfying everyone.

-The winner for each competition would have to make available their original RAW or JPEG file from their camera, with the EXIF data intact to prove authenticity.

-Instead of trivial cash prizes, winners would be awarded with simple glory. DPChallenge works on a virtual 'ribbon' system; maybe we can have a similar system where winners get a virtual trophy and a place on the board or something like that...

EDIT:

-There would be 1 thread for image submissions, and a separate thread for voting. In the voting thread, everyone can name their 5 favs from this particular month. Then a mod/volunteer will tally up all the votes; this person can be rotated month to month.

Edited by peterish

Keito    1

-Some competitions would allow post-processing (Photoshopping), while some are 'Straight-From-Camera' only. Anyone is free to participate in any challenge; thereby satisfying everyone.

Great Idea :D

-The winner for each competition would have to make available their original RAW or JPEG file from their camera, with the EXIF data intact to prove authenticity.

EXIF data and RAW files are pretty much impossible to provide for me as I'm still shooting with film most of the time... if I however take the shot with my digital camera I can only provide the EXIF data as it's not an dSLR and stores files in JPEG.

-Instead of trivial cash prizes, winners would be awarded with simple glory. DPChallenge works on a virtual 'ribbon' system; maybe we can have a similar system where winners get a virtual trophy and a place on the board or something like that...

Could be, however I think letting the winner choose the next theme is a bit better :)

Also, I agree on having pictures from the actual month, even though my previous post might not have made that clear.

Pink Floyd    15

I think you guys are making this competition more complicated than it must be

sn00pie    2

This should be fun, are you guys going to allow some editing of the photos we take? :)

You know working with the photo in Photoshop and fixing it up. :cool:

peterish    2

I think you guys are making this competition more complicated than it must be

It's better to clear everything up now than to generate a whole bunch of drama later on.

Dallas    0

My take on editing:

I use film, and scan the print. My pictures look like crap off of the scanner because they just do. Without basic curves or levels adjustments, my photos suck. You can tell when someone photoshops their photos a lot. Just allow people to make minor adjustments.

We shouldn't get tied up in rules really. This is for fun (as far as I see it). There is no way we can be 100% sure someone took a photo this month or if they made minor adjustments to a photo.

MR_Candyman    114

maybe there should be a final date for pictures to be posted? just a thought

peterish    2

Why don't we just try it in the month of August, what do yall say? Starting 8/1 lets start the first competition thread and everyone can submit whatever they want, and let's see what happens.

Dallas    0

Why don't we just try it in the month of August, what do yall say? Starting 8/1 lets start the first competition thread and everyone can submit whatever they want, and let's see what happens.

Done :)

MR_Candyman    114

umm...is it just me or did the pinned competition thread disappear?

saxondale.    15

meh it does look like it

MonkeyClaw    9

I think we will start it up at the first of august.

oldaccount1    3

yes...because neowin really has a film camera section...

:laugh:

Timmah    1

This sounds like a great idea and I know for a fact that a number of staff believe this would be beneficial for the Neowin community - thus making it far more likely that the pictures will appear on the front page.

I'll have a chat to the powers that be!

Just an idea - we could give the winners little banners to display in their sigs to say "Neowin Digital Photographer of the Month - August 06" or whatever - thoughts?

MR_Candyman    114

This sounds like a great idea and I know for a fact that a number of staff believe this would be beneficial for the Neowin community - thus making it far more likely that the pictures will appear on the front page.

I'll have a chat to the powers that be!

Just an idea - we could give the winners little banners to display in their sigs to say "Neowin Digital Photographer of the Month - August 06" or whatever - thoughts?

good idea to me

Rogo    0

Superb idea. im really interested :)

As someone whos relatively new to photography im looking forward to bettering my skills and learning from some of you old pro's :p

As for the rules... they still dont seem to be finalised... (unless i missed it in the pinned topic which has been removed)

Im sure Pink Floyd and Monkey claw have discussed it between them and know what they are looking for.

About the themes though... i hope something is picked that everyone can get involved with... i.e. a Firework theme.. someone may not be able to get to a firework display near by... just an example.

Anyway. im really looking forward to it.. cant wait until tomorrow :)

Timmah    1

I imagine a lot of the themes will be very open ended and generic - e.g. Landscape (paysage) which is what this month's was supposed to be.

Stuff like "Winter" and "Christmas" might do well towards the end of the year etc - lets keep it very accessible to everyone!

Rogo    0

Winter would be different for all around the world though.

This should be starting today right? i know the forums being offline was a pain.

Looking forward to this :)

Pink Floyd    15

ok so whats going on here? Did you guys decided something? I started something but got flamed away..

so?

Rogo    0

Well since no one else has decided.. i think you should just do it, if people arent happy, they dont have to enter.

Simple...

Timmah    1

Seeing as I'm on the news team and I have news posting priveleges I think I could give the monthly winners a slot on the front page, and though I've not managed to speak to shane over MSN today (he appears to be away) I'm pretty confident the powers that be would think this is definitely a good idea.

Of course, even if this isn't approved for a front page slot it's still a good idea.

Shall we christen it the Neowin Digital Photo of the Month Award?

And judges?

Rogo    0

What about yourself, pink floyd, and monkey claw.

unless you guys wanna enter yourselves?

theres no saying you cant enter even if your judges i suppose.. it doesnt have to be so competitive i guess.

sn00pie    2

Seeing as I'm on the news team and I have news posting priveleges I think I could give the monthly winners a slot on the front page, and though I've not managed to speak to shane over MSN today (he appears to be away) I'm pretty confident the powers that be would think this is definitely a good idea.

Of course, even if this isn't approved for a front page slot it's still a good idea.

Shall we christen it the Neowin Digital Photo of the Month Award?

And judges?

Sounds fantastic! The judges would be a neat idea aswell. :)

Timmah    1

What about yourself, pink floyd, and monkey claw.

unless you guys wanna enter yourselves?

theres no saying you cant enter even if your judges i suppose.. it doesnt have to be so competitive i guess.

I want to enter!

So I don't want to judge :innocent: