WINRAR 3.51 Free Sunday July 30th 2006

To clarify, you just signup for the newsletter to get a free key?

Yes and you will be notified when it hits the website :)

I get that ive just never seen a reason to actually buy or it or in this case get a bought program free, ive had the trial way over the 40 days and it still does exactly the same thing as the day i installed

I've been trying to choose between IZARC and 7-zip and now comes this piece of news. :laugh:

Signed up for the newsletter and may consider switching over. Thanks for sharing.

I have 7zip it has better compression ratios and tbh it works great

7zip does NOT 'work great' it sucks.

1) You can't extract from incomplete split archives - no way to get samples out of split sets.

This is a direct rseult of the unix pipe philosophy they use. It makes a single archive then pipes it to split vs. zip/winrar which make multiple archive files with their own headers and crc's.

2) The 'high compression' 700mb archives can take literally HOURS to extract.

This is tied to which compression method and which processor extensions your cpu supports.

I get that ive just never seen a reason to actually buy or it or in this case get a bought program free, ive had the trial way over the 40 days and it still does exactly the same thing as the day i installed

While that may be...if you register it, you will no longer get that nag every time it starts up....so why not sign up for a free license?

Not bad, thx for the heads up :) I got my free (and legal) copy of DivX Pro in a similar way :happy:

While that may be...if you register it, you will no longer get that nag every time it starts up....so why not sign up for a free license?

I never open it. Always use the context menu. :D

But free is always good. Thanks for the news.

I can bypass the nag by using the context menu options. I'm probably going to end up getting that product key anyway though. (ahh...someone beat me to it.)

Other things I found out about the program on my computer:

WinRar opens faster if you select the last rar file in a multi file archive. (Make a large split archive of about 50 rar files.)

WinRar freezes the explorer window of the location you are extracting files to until the extraction process is complete. I found a work around for this.

I'm assuming that this behavior is either tied to the trail version or it only occurs on my computer, since they haven't fixed it in any versions since I don't remember when.

Edited by Ned

7zip does NOT 'work great' it sucks.

1) You can't extract from incomplete split archives - no way to get samples out of split sets.

This is a direct rseult of the unix pipe philosophy they use. It makes a single archive then pipes it to split vs. zip/winrar which make multiple archive files with their own headers and crc's.

2) The 'high compression' 700mb archives can take literally HOURS to extract.

This is tied to which compression method and which processor extensions your cpu supports.

Who the hell make multiple archieves when they can just make ONE .rar file?

7zip and Tugzip really is excellent. I now use Tugzip. Does the job very well and is always free. no need to pay a penny at any time. And it can extract rar files. I tried and it works here.

Who the hell make multiple archieves when they can just make ONE .rar file?

everyone who transfers very large archives over the net and doesn't have a 10/100/1000 mbit connection.. that would include me.

once you transfer a large archive in one piece and get a crc failed error on the other side, you will know why.

oh, and thanks for the news :)

-andy-

Not bad, thx for the heads up :) I got my free (and legal) copy of DivX Pro in a similar way :happy:

Same :) Love WinRar, use it daily.

Took me awhile to find it also :whistle:

http://www.win-rar.com/newsletter.html

I can't sign-up to Newsletter. Recieve this error:

Warning: mysql_pconnect() [function.mysql-pconnect]: #08004Too many connections in /opt/www/wwwroot/www.win-rar.com/html/t3lib/class.t3lib_db.php on line 813

Database Error

The current username, password or host was not accepted when the connection to the database was attempted to be established!