• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Blu-ray or HD-DVD. Which do you support?

Blu-ray or HD-DVD. Which do you support more?  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

crimsonhead    0

Much like my stand on X360 PS3 and Wii, I'm going to survey the area before jumping in. Gonna watch the formats and see which best suits my needs. I don't really care which format wins, I just want there to be a clear winner asap.

dagamer34    2

I'm backing HD-DVD, cheaper, MS Supported (even though im not a big MS fan lol), and more.

However, I wouldn't BUY a hd-dvd knowing there's 2 formats.

I'd be inclined to add the option : "Neither, I'll wait for a combo drive"

Which -IS- what will happen. Its DVD+/- all over again. Neither format "won", and now we live with both.

You watch - in 6-12 months we'll have a H/BD combo drive and the "format war" will have been forgotten, and those that got a HD OR BD drive will be the ones out of pocket really.

>sigh< Damn Sony, never learns.

One thing is that DVD +/- didn't really involve Hollywood. Every DVD player played movied pressed from a factory so they didn't really care.

I support HD-DVD simply because the format is most likely to win. All the advantages Blu-ray was supposed to have have disappeared into thin air. The PS3 is $600 and isn't going to be something you can just go to the store and buy on a whim for at least 6 months after release. It's larger capacity is rather pointless if it uses a codec that uses more space anyway. And lastly, it's got less market exposure than HD-DVD that came out 2 months before.

then again, some part of me wants both formats to fail so that companies will learn that it's them wanting OUR money, and they shouldn't pull sh*t like this because they are greedy and want royalties.

Digitalx    17

yea sit back and watch for a while, but all the stuff about it the HD-DVD alliance or group or wtf they call themselfs, HD-DVD is soley made for data sotrage and HD movies. no gaming will be supported at all on it in first generations or so. Blue-Ray does support games Due PS3 having the drive. so most probably blu-ray from me for size i prefer over quality as im not a movie watcher nor a HDTV owner. plus i prefer playstations naturally. *playong ps2 right now :wub:*

TruckWEB    480

I'm going to support HD-DVD because right now, it's the cheapest, better choice of movies and best of all, better image quality. You have to be blind to not see the diffrence between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Blu-Ray movies sometime even look worst than DVD....

But, I'm not going to buy soon, I'm waiting....

Xerxes    229

Neither, I'm just gonna sit on the fence and wait.

PL_    19

Beta: dead except for in the professional market

UMD: lol....need i say more...

Mini-Disc: not dead per-say but definetly not what they were hoping for...

ATRAC: :blink:

Don't forget Memory Stick!

And, for all we know, it could be SACD (ANOTHER Sony format) vs. DVD-A. Neither won. It was the HDD that won. Downloads. Storage. MP3s. OGGs. Etc...

This HD-DVD vs. BD could go the same way, with VOBs in place of MP3s.

But, for the time, being a 360 owner, it's HD DVD FTW.

Colin-uk    135

I was thinking blu-ray when the 'wars' were first announced....

now im sorta leaning towards HD-DVD :p

mostly because it ive seen a lot of negative articles about blu ray so im not sure if it'll actually pull through.....

Joel    27

:huh:

He was merely stating that he'd rather Blu-Ray win since he's dishing out the money to a console that uses Blu-Ray.

He said

if I'm going to buy a console that supports Blu-ray

implying there's more than 1 such console.

Bhav    18

I didn't want it to become an argument involving the PS3, Xbox 360 etc etc.

Maybe I should have worded it like so:

Given I'm going to buy the console that supports Blu-ray, I want Blu-ray to win.

chaffinch    12

Although I lean towards HD-DVD I'd rather just ride out the storm until one is completely dead and all studios choose one over the other, or just wait for the next format (possible Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) i think). It is one of the stupidest moves to make two HD formats. Yes you had DVD+/- but at least they were just for consumer writable media and not drastically different, now we have two types just for pressed discs and I hope to god each new format won't decide to have a +/- version for rewritable media. Two formats are going to create lots of problems, people will buy them not knowing that one will not work with the other.

Would it be possible to put entire seasons of say the sopranos on one Hd-DVD or Blu ray in just dvd quality, i hate having to have lots of discs.

Edited by turtlethegreat

Sheppard    0

HD-DVD, not because of the companies that are behind it, purely because as it stands it was first in the running, more movies, better quality first generation movies, its half the price of a blu-ray player and the films are cheaper.

I am onboard with HD-DVD because it has the new video codec. Blue-Ray is still using MPEG2, which wastes a lot of the disc space. Listen to the Major Nelson podcast on HD-DVD and it will make a lot of sense.

They both support the same codecs as a matter of fact, they both support H.264, VC-1 (wmvhd) and Mpeg-2, it just so happens 1st generation movies are MPEG-2.

Joel    27

I didn't want it to become an argument involving the PS3, Xbox 360 etc etc.

Maybe I should have worded it like so:

Given I'm going to buy the console that supports Blu-ray, I want Blu-ray to win.

See now, that's clearer. :p

TruckWEB    480

HD-DVD, not because of the companies that are behind it, purely because as it stands it was first in the running, more movies, better quality first generation movies, its half the price of a blu-ray player and the films are cheaper.

They both support the same codecs as a matter of fact, they both support H.264, VC-1 (wmvhd) and Mpeg-2, it just so happens 1st generation movies are MPEG-2.

Still, when you look at the picture quality of 1st generation of Blu-Ray movie, it's a sad picture. Sony was realy dumb to let movie studio push out MPEG-2 encoded movies... VC-1, like all HD-DVD, look much better. I've seen both so I can tell.

cterry511    0

well working for a TV company i got to see them head to head. and it seems to me that they are about the same. so i go for price and in that case HDDVD would win.

PiracyX    11

HD-DVD by miles! it is in a better position than Blu-Ray in terms of the market segment since it will be offered cheaper and has become more mainstream since the name is related to DVD so they will understand it is a well known product. Sony have totally cheated this war by pushing Blu-Ray forcely into the Playstation3 even if the user doesnt want it/need it so they can try and gain domaination in this war and have the upperhand which is what they really want cos they know they'll lose if they don't. i know its their console but they could have at least provided a lower version without Blu-Ray so the users could just get the PS3 for the games, but when it comes to sony, users dont really have any say so basically you have to have what they want you to have which is stupid and i feel not fair. Microsoft has done good with the HD-DVD addon which you are not even require to buy unlike sonys strategy which is "you have what we want you to have". Bah sony don't have a clue! they will fail just like all their other formats released.

HD-DVD FTW

spenser.d    1,100

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_vs_hddvd

not that big of a diff between the two.

HAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

I can't even believe you posted that. If there was a noticable difference between HD-DVD and Blu-ray that leaned toward HD-DVD, they wouldn't put that on the Blu-ray website. Good job. They look bad enough without actually coming out and saying it theirselves.

-Spenser

Bhav    18

HAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

I can't even believe you posted that. If there was a noticable difference between HD-DVD and Blu-ray that leaned toward HD-DVD, they wouldn't put that on the Blu-ray website. Good job. They look bad enough without actually coming out and saying it theirselves.

-Spenser

Actually:

" This web site is not affiliated with the Blu-ray Disc Association."

But I see your point :p

MrA    6

Um, there's something screwy with the poll. I voted for Blu-ray 3 times and I don't see any results.

EDIT: I see them now.

Daza    0

I am onboard with HD-DVD because it has the new video codec. Blue-Ray is still using MPEG2, which wastes a lot of the disc space. Listen to the Major Nelson podcast on HD-DVD and it will make a lot of sense.

HDV is MPEG-2! Hence HD-DVD naturally will be MPEG-2 and perhaps H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV

Infact you'll find that anywhere that produces HDV is based on MPEG-2 besides some parts of europe which have yet to start broadcasting it and might decide on MPEG-4.

That aside saying that HD-DVD is better because it does not use MPEG-2 is mis-informed. Infact Blue-Ray will support more codecs such as MPEG-2 (the standard also used for DVDs); MPEG-4's H.264/AVC; and VC-1, a codec based on Microsoft's Windows Media 9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Edited by Daza

Digitalx    17

i think the poor quality if anything with blu-ray could be 1st gen players rather then the technology itself like http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_vs_hddvd says, they're basicly the same so i'd say its marely the player for blu-ray sucks atm.

-Dave-    13

blue ray may support more codecs, but i believe in terms of retail released Movies, Blue ray is using MPEG2 and HD-DVD H264. And we all know the better video format there dont we.............

MP4 FTW!

Chook    0

blu ray. it just sounds awesome. who cares about storage, thats what hard drives are for

Deaf_Raiders    0

Blu Ray cos of PS3 'Welcome Chang3' Quote Sony

Guyro    0

blu-ray because they've got 12? companies backing it and hd has 3? 4? and 2 companies which hd has are doing blu-ray as well