• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Blu-ray or HD-DVD. Which do you support?

Blu-ray or HD-DVD. Which do you support more?  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TruckWEB    480

blu-ray because they've got 12? companies backing it and hd has 3? 4? and 2 companies which hd has are doing blu-ray as well

Even if more movie studio are backing Blu-Ray, it's amazing to see that more movies are out for HD-DVD at the moment. And in VC-1 format, much better than MPEG2 for 1st gen Blu-Ray movies.

And the Toshiba HD-DVD player is more than half price of the Samsung B-R player.

Right now, the winner is HD-DVD. This may change with the PlayStation3.

In the end, we will have a clear picture of the "winner" one/two year from now.

Digitalx    17

looking at lists of companys no-wonder HD-DVD is cheapest. it has all the cheap brands backing it. blu-ray has all the quality big brand names.

+Elliot B.    1,580

looking at lists of companys no-wonder HD-DVD is cheapest. it has all the cheap brands backing it. blu-ray has all the quality big brand names.

lol :laugh: Fool.

TruckWEB    480

And since money rules the world.... The cheapest will win. Toshiba said it a couple of times, they are taking a huge hit selling the player at low cost. Like game console, they sell it cheap to have more market share. They make money on the license.

gunnerhkjp    0

Maybe the manufacturers agreed to having two formats to avoid anti-trust persecution.

:shiftyninja:

Maybe the manufacturers don't care which wins, since they are all capable of making both players.

:shiftyninja:

I'll only support a format if a manufacturer pays me :)

(or maybe when I buy a ps3)

<edit>

Found an interesting article here

Edited by gunnerhkjp

mrbucket    0

Im supporting hd-dvd as I have a toshiba hd-xa1 player. The quality is amazing and its a good bit better than the blu ray i have seen.

+Troll    67

HD-DVD for sure and here's why.

The only advantage Blu-Ray has which is accepted by all is the size - 25gb (single layer) compared to 15gb (single layer) of HD-DVDs.

Now, assuming that all the Hi-Def movies produced are in 1080p, we'll most likely never even see a movie that takes up the 15gb until a higher quality video becomes a "standard."

1080p video is a bit over 1 second of video for every 1 mb of data. Taking that into consideration, you could fit roughly 4.5 hours of video on to an HD-DVD and 7.5 hours of video on a Blu-Ray. From a quick google search, the longest running commercial film is 1963's Cleopatra at 4 hrs 2 min, which would give more than enough room for data overhead.

I just did some quick calculations from a 1080p movie file, so it won't be 100% dead on, but I can't imagine it being too far off.

1080p is a dream right now for 99% of the world. Very few of us have a TV or monitor that can support that, and OTA HDTV for instance is only at 720p or 1080i. When most movies top out at two hours now, it is hard to see the discs getting filled up that quickly - especially if they use H.264 codecs.

If I made an error or assumed something I shouldn't, then correct me and I'll have learned something.

Bottom line I'm trying to make is that the space advantage of Blu-Ray isn't that big of a deal. I will note one exception to that, which would be a TV Boxset where you could fit more episodes on a Blu-Ray than an HD-DVD, but that is more of how a company tries to market their shows.

TruckWEB    480

Well, it's not news anymore but now we know why the Bluray movies looked like crap. Seems the Samsung player has a wrong configuration in the firmware and give inferior quality.

Bluray movies played on the soon to be released Pioneer player look much better. And many new Bluray movies are moving from MPEG2 to VC1 so they are on the same level with HD-DVD with more space on the disc.

If only Bluray player where cheaper, maybe... maybe Bluray would have a chance. PS3 anyone?

Toshiba is already releasing the second generation of HD-DVD player with 1080p....

Jesse Carlton    3

blu-ray

somply for the fact that, unlike hd-dvd, in 10 years when there's generation 4 of digital video discs, they could make an 8 layer bd-rom disk become the standard, and just update the codecs to the current generation, where hd-dvd's successor will need to be re-engineered.

other than size and scalability, the rest of each standard is software, which can be changed a lot easier than hardware, and on top of that the software as it is now is basically identical, with each side copying the other as soon as they make any announcements.

Matrix XII    38

HD-DVD no question. My 360 will be able to play them, and I just have more faith in it than another one of Sony's attempts at making a format standard in the industry. Plus the picture quality on HD-DVD is better.

TruckWEB    480

HD-DVD no question. My 360 will be able to play them, and I just have more faith in it than another one of Sony's attempts at making a format standard in the industry. Plus the picture quality on HD-DVD is better.

Not true, read my previous post. It's a problem with the current Samsung bluray player. Movies look much better with the Pioneer player. And many movies are now in VC1 instead of MPEG2. So it's the same.

Fred Derf    217

The way things are going, Sony's Playstation 3 will need to save the Blu-Ray format. That might be a bit much to ask from a game console.

If the PS3 doesn't change the landscape then HD-DVD will continue to win (as it has been doing).