Windows Live Spaces (review)

Source: http://xero01uk.spaces.live.com/

Windows Live Spaces upgrade complete - Features Ahoy!!

For quite a while now Microsoft has been talkinh about intergrating the old MSN Spaces into the 'Windows Live' service that they currently offer, and now its complete

At first glance the UI (User Interface) has changed along with the layout of the intire 'space' itself, this time around its more bright and pleasing to the eye, along with being more userfriendly. There has also alot of changes behind the sences as wel, such as brand new moduals and also the change to 'build you own' and post them on the 'Gadget Live' Website.

Another improvment is the intergration of WLM8.0 into the Live Space, as you will notice, located in the top right of the screen is your WLM details along with the choices to change your status & also sign in and out if you choose. also following in the steps of the WLM feature is a new modual called 'Friends' this little modual can show (at your choosing) to show your friends who are on your WLM list, this is NOT an automatic process and requires you to add them to this list, and also requires a email responce from the friend you are adding.

There has also been major changes to the Photo Albums & also the blog system itself.

You will also notice that there is now a new bar for visitors to your space, called the 'visitors tool' this features the choices to either subscribe to the RSS feed on the site, Tell a friend, add to my MSN or add to live.com

There are also a few new themes on this new release, the main one being the WLM theme which has been given 1st place on the list..

Im still finding out new features atm, if you find any new ones then please leave a comment

It's a pity that entire Windows Live Spaces is useless...for me (and going by comments on spacecraft, a few others as well) as the "customize" link is broken. It doesn't work. :angry:

I just tried it out. It's easy to use and customize works fine. I don't see that much difference besides the looks and the ability to add gadgets from the Windows Live Gallery. My main complaint is...even though I'm on DSL, it takes a while to load my page and I don't even have anything on it yet. It's just too slow for me.

I just tried it out. It's easy to use and customize works fine. I don't see that much difference besides the looks and the ability to add gadgets from the Windows Live Gallery. My main complaint is...even though I'm on DSL, it takes a while to load my page and I don't even have anything on it yet. It's just too slow for me.

ive been finding this, but i just classed it as a bug..... hoping the WLM team will sort it out soon enough

It look's nice and simple too me. But nothing I would be using lately. The interface to me look's way better than before but almost everything else is the same.

When it was MSN Spaces, the ActiveX script that ran the upload photo's to blog feature never worked. And who needs to create lists in a Blog? Microsoft just dove into the blogging market without thinking

Is it possible to change the date or time of entry? I wanted to change the date for one of the entries that I made because it was specifically for that date, but I didn't post it then.

• 4 weeks later...

Another thing about customization....

There is not much in the way of customization. For a poweruser such as myself, if you want to edit the HTML or something, you can't. If you want to do something in the way of adding content like video's you can do it, but it's not supported. With services like Vox and Blogger you can.

actually lists are pretty cool thing since you can put your watched movies, played games or read books on them. or whatever :D

You're forgetting the fact that no one cares what books you've read, which movies you've seen or how many star trek box sets you have. :p

I like that they added more features, however, I'd rather have less features and less bugs with it!

When I click on the contact card of a contact in MSN, it says that it can't connect to the Live Spaces... It tends to go down a lot. I've asked a few of my friends and they have the same problem. As well, I find that a lot of pictures from the photoalbums don't want to load and take a long time when they finally do.

I hope that they fix these things, because other than that, the new additions are great!

• 4 weeks later...

The reason I left Spaces is because, in the grand scheme of things, it's one of the worse blogging services out there. The Poweruser can't do anything in spaces in terms of HTML editing or designing your own templates. Try out Blogger or Livejournal, or if you want I have 2 invites to Vox.